1. Roland6 Silver badge

Sponsored Articles

Is there any real reason why sponsored articles, such as https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/01/24/office_365_tenant_to_tenant_migration/

should have comments and/or "add to my topics" options disabled?

1. Marco Fontani

Re: Sponsored Articles

Chris Williams (Editor in chief) replied to a similar question a few weeks back, linked here.

Hope this helps!

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Thanks, I knew there was a reason but a quick search didn't reveal an answer.

Just that there are times when I want to simply flag a sponsored article so i can find it again; just have to keep doing this outside of ElReg.

1. jake Silver badge

Most (all?) browsers allow bookmark sub-folders. Works for me. In my case it would look something like this:

ElReg >> Infomercials >> Company >> Logical(ToMe)Name ... no plug-in required.

Yes, it takes a little maintenance and self-control so they don't grow to the point of unmanageability. Perhaps there are usable plug-ins for this these days, I've never bothered looking.

(Actually, I don't bother reading the infomercials for the same reasons that I block advertising and have been circular-filing[0] press releases unread for decades.)

[0] Fire-starter for the wood stove and steam engines. I recycle!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Auto play videos on the home page?

Can you not?

( Paris, because she never says no )

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

They pay our bills so you can enjoy the rest of the site. The vids won't auto-play audio - though if they do, let us know - that would be a bug.

We run webcasts on the home page as they are broadcast live, and sometimes we run virtual events like this. It's not a permanent fixture.

Edit: The videos no longer autoplay - hit play to watch them :)

C.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Fair enough with the ads, but it did play audio. Otherwise I wouldn't have minded, or even noticed.

1. Marco Fontani

One of the videos used (which is shown as "main" rotates every few mins) was unfortunately the wrong version, meant for a different display (i.e. for our whitepapers site, for which videos _ought_ to auto-play audio). This has since been rectified. Thanks for bringing it up.

1. Anonymous Coward

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon