back to article COVID-19 not blamed for tech outage: We were just being a bit crap, says TeamViewer

Having lifted connection checking on its freebie remote-access product, TeamViewer celebrated with a good, old-fashioned falling over. At least for "a subset of users". Quite a vocal subset, if social media is anything to go by. As one wag commented: "Subset planet Earth..." The issues began this morning and by 10am UK time …

1. rcxb Silver badge

99.9% uptime? What's that, about 3.5 days of downtime per year? And I bet that 0.1% doesn't fall on weekend and holidays, either.

1. mickm

Your sums are wrong!

0.365 days by my calculation.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Your sums are wrong!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_availability#Percentage_calculation

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Abandoned these wankers for remotepc... When they deemed remoting into a pc to play games was 'corporate use' (I think because I was remoting from my work place to my home). They suggested I pay them over $2,000 to upgrade my license for corporate use.

1. Drew Scriver

I too have been caught in the "we' ve detected commercial use" check, presumably because I connected to my dad's PC over a corporate network.

However, in all fairness, TV allow the public to use an excellent tool at no charge. They are under no obligation to do so. Unfortunately there will always be people who use it for commercial purposes whilst not purchasing a license, so it makes sense that they have some kind of checking mechanism.

It's really no different from having to show your ticket to the attendant at a movie theater/theatre. After all, you've already paid, haven't you? Why verify that again?

Lastly, TV have a form you can submit to declare in writing that you are in fact an honest soul who in fact only uses the free tool for personal purposes and who has fallen victim to the existence of evildoers who try to steal from TV. If approved, you will get your freebie back.

PS

No, I do not work for TV.

3. Tortoise

If you read even some of the posts on the TV forum, it is obvious that the 'Commercial Use' checks TV implemented were clealy wrong - there are many hundreds of users - many long time users - who claim they have been been restricted by the checks while having no connection to anything Commercial. Some even cannot use between two PCs in their own home!

TV have given *no* details what the checks are, or which have been failed. There is no means to comminucate with TV, and no appeal process.

Yes - there is a form to download and fill in to request personal access ,,, but I, like many others, sent one off months ago and heard nothing. I gave up with TV, and moved to use another application. I have been retired 15 years, and have only ever used TV to occasionally connect to friends and family.

TV claims to offer Free Personal Use ,,, but only by their secret, and obviously very wrongly restrictive, defintion.

I used to recommend TV - but no longer. Such a shame.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon