back to article I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Black hole quasar tsunamis moving at 46 million miles per hour

Astronomers have discovered the universe’s most powerful winds: driven by supermassive black holes, they ripple across interstellar space bulldozing through material in galaxies, and are known as quasar tsunamis, we're told. “No other phenomena carries more mechanical energy,” said Nahum Arav, first author of a study into the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Has anyone told GoSafe?

There could be a new cash cow revenue stream here.

(Who knew, it was morally repugnant to regressively fine key workers for doing 35mph in a 30, while on duty, caring for the sick).

1. IGotOut Silver badge

Re: Has anyone told GoSafe?

Did you have Blue lights on?

No, then the law applies to EVERYONE.

Btw people that moan, do the maths on how much time you save doing 35 in a 30, then allow for normal start stop and slowing traffic, and you'll save ooooo couple of seconds?

And yes I have been done for speeding, but I'm grown up enough to admit I was at fault.

Oh ask the A&E department if they are happy about receiving a car accident victim because you "needed" to get somewhere 30 seconds earlier.

OH and BTW, as far as I'm aware, all speeding tickets are retrospective. Luckily AI hasn't started fining people who may speed....yet.

1. Tom 7

I used to drive 30 miles or so to work and some of it involved towns with lots of roundabouts. The XR3i used to get me into work in pretty much the same time as the VW camper - thought it was a lot more fun with the roof down and the straight through exhaust spitting like an angry wasp. Once I worked out driving like a lunatic didnt get me there any faster I analysed the situation.

Basically as IGotOut pointed out its largely other traffic that limits your time - doing 400 yds 10% faster normally means you just spend longer queueing at the junction.

But more importantly at speed you are not as able to judge the traffic ahead. The camper wouldnt do anything in a hurry and as a result you had the spare brain power to work out the traffic ahead - on low roundabouts you could even see traffic on the far side of it and many I time I could avoid braking on the approach and actually fly past the BMW that had overtaken me at speed but couldn't anticipate the gap in flow on the roundabout that I could. I was overtaken by the same car 6 times when driving across Chelmsford as a result.

But most important of all is idiot speeders slow the overall traffic down for everyone - they introduce turbulence into otherwise laminar traffic flow and fuck it up for everyone. That one idiot driving too fast down the outside lane of the motorway to be able to read the signs and cuts everyone up desperately trying to get to their turning leaves ripples in the traffic flow for hours afterwards.

1. David Glasgow

1 downvote? Gotta be that BMW driver!!

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

" I was overtaken by the same car 6 times when driving across Chelmsford as a result."

I had a similar experience on my very rusty push bike while riding down the Edgware Rd to Marble Arch. The BMW driver got *very* annoyed after the first few times.

1. Muscleguy

I’m a runner and I get a kick out of passing cars crawling towards the intersection then getting around the corner before they do. Even with my inside line.

As a teenager in West Auckland, NZ I was once running up the Waiatarua hills when a dump truck drew up to the intersection part way up and the guy leaned out and challenged me to a race. I took off like a jackrabbit and only lost by a whisker. He really thrashed that engine and his gearbox.

Later down in Dunedin at university I was sitting at an intersection in town on my motorbike with the woman who I later married on the back. It was a Saturday morning. A car full of young guys pulls alongside and they look at me and gun their engine. When the lights changed I moved off at the sensible pace I used. They dropped the clutch, the back of the car moved up in the air, there was a crunch and their differential disintegrated. I saw it my mirrors.

In NZ if you get caught being a boy racer they take your car off you and crush it regardless of the value.

1. Stoneshop

Later down in Dunedin at university I was sitting at an intersection in town on my motorbike

I once happened to find myself riding a rather aging and somewhat asthmatic MZ 250TS with a sidecar[0][1], on one of the larger through-roads in my city, next to, IIRC, a souped-up Honda CR-X. Its driver got increasingly agitated that I kept pulling up next to his passenger window at the next five traffic lights smiling friendly at him, to the point that he started burning rubber trying to outrun me.

There was also the CBR600 that I managed to out-accelerate for about the first three seconds, but that was probably caused by his being baffled that my hack managed to accelerate at all.

A constant source of amusement were pizza delivery mopeds. Roll up behind them and they hear just another two-stroke. Which they then interpret as a fellow courier so they go into racing mode, waiting for the lights to go green (and not looking at what's actually behind them). At which point the MZ would let out all of its engine power in a massive roar and blast past where pizza boy just manages a feeble 'meeeep' despite its open exhaust.

[0] 19 wheezing two-stroke horses trying to accelerate some 250 kilos total. Top speed was about 110kmh, limited both by power and stability.

[1] In the early 1960's MZ did have the best-performing two-stroke designs, and only after Ernst Degner defected to Japan did Suzuki manage to overtake them.

3. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

@Tom7: "XR3i" ? I bet that was a right fanny magnet: https://www.flickr.com/photos/19864651@N00/4793617160

4. herman

"leaves ripples in the traffic flow for hours afterwards" - The idiot BMW driver must be O'l Eddie: Eddies in the Time Space Continuum.

2. IGotOut Silver badge

I also forgot to add

If you were booked at 35mph, your speedo would be reading around the 40mph mark. So you can't even say I was only a little bit over.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

These days I find the speed limiter more useful than cruise control. OK you need your foot on the accelerator but it basically becomes a footrest unless you want to slow down.

As we have a lot of those nanny signs outside villages, I've been able to verify that the speedo is 10% fast at 30mph, so 33mph on the speed limiter is a genuine 30mph. Google also tells me that 77mph speedo is a genuine 70mph. As the Wiltshire constabulary are enthusiastic users of radar, especially when it's a nice sunny day, I find not needing to look at the speedometer is a significant benefit.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

To be fair same happened for me. I was doing exactly the speed limit... for the road... problem was that was the speed limit when I lived there the year before!

It had changed. I did know that. But both me forgetting where the new limits started and a lorry in my way for seeing the sign, me overtaking it as it stopped/turned in to a junction and then seeing the speed camera car I instantly went "clever girl".

Granted they were ready to catch people purposely breaking the new limits but I was rather disappointed my one single lapse got me done.

When they changed the entire village near here and had a static camera I was a route I did every day... so I was the only one *not* to get caught by that camera. Lol!

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I know this is all UK here, but here's a heads up if you ever drive in the USA. If the speed limit is 30, you do at least 35. Doing the exact limit in the USA is suspicious behavior. The exception is that if the speed limit is very low like 15mph, then you better do 10mph (but anything > 5mph under the limit is also fineable). Either way, nobody does the exact speed limit.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Here cops don't need silly excuses to pull people over. So doing 28mph in a 30 zone won't get you pulled over.

Doing 10 on a highway will. But from experience they don't mind safe slower driving.

Are you going off 3rd party stories? Or are you in a state where they do pull over "random" people?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

As far as random checks, I don't know. I haven't looked it up, but I've been pulled higher than the national average and have never been randomly pulled.

Traffic court (yeh, I might of been doing 30 over). While attending the "lesson", a video was shown with national statistics of the USA of reported violations (with costs omitted, but this still seemed odd). As the speed limit rises along with the population, there still is that tie-in of X amount over yields Y, but the higher the limit AND excess of violation the value of the citation rises (ultimately because of money, with the excise of the "drag racing" limit, most states that limit is 95mph). As of about 7 years ago, you could do up to 12mph over in a 35mph+ without probability of citation. It is all state dependent of course, but these were the mean statistics, and of course there is outliers and census data determinations.

What I have seen in traffic "reeducation" (or whatever it's named this year) has yet come to be, which is 1mph under your states drag racing limit is permitted, but anything at all over yields huge fines. I think they'll never do it, but considering a lot of states are now cracking down on riding the fast lane, who knows.

Supposedly (I cannot confirm this), Montana has made a trade off between taxes and citation values, which makes me wonder just how high those citations might be if this is true.

Now in 15mph posted areas there was no data given (I assume it also includes posted 25mph as well), but it was clear that if you speed at all, you will be cited.

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yep. When i use to do a 25 mile commute to work. People would dangerously do 10 or 20 mph over the speed limit. Over take cars 3 abreast on a normal single carriageway. Go too fast around roundabouts... and I'd still meet them back at the last roundabout just before getting into town ( single long road no really any other destination or alternative route).

There were also constant crashes, bad ones. Half of the road now has average speed limit cameras and that helps. Other half does not and still has more accidents.

Took a two hour 15 min journey yesterday. Used satnav to keep at speed limit instead of the average 10% under the speedo gives. Compared to the satnav guess on arrival time I only saved 10 mins. So 35 in a 30 zone is saving you less time than it takes to put things in your carboot and just putting lives at risk.

2. stuartnz

Mindboggingly fast

This article reminded me of one of my favourite bits of Douglas Adams' writing: "light, which travels so fast that it takes most races thousands of years to realize that it travels at all" - 46 million mph is incomprehensibly fast, yet apparently works out to roughly 6.8% of c - neither of my neurons can process that.

1. alain williams Silver badge

Re: Mindboggingly fast

46 million mph is incomprehensibly fast

To give an idea: that would cross the earth (ie diameter) in 0.17 milliseconds.

I have no idea how long it would take to cross Wales or a football pitch or any other El Reg favoured unit of measurement.

1. steelpillow Silver badge
        Boffin

Would take a little over two hours to travel from the Sun to the Earth.

1. stuartnz

Yes, working out how long it would take to cover an AU was fun, leading to calculating how long to catch up with New Horizons and The Voyagers - roughly 4 days and 11-12 days respectively iirc. VERY impressive

2. 142
        Headmaster

46 million miles an hour is about 770 thousand per minute and 12800 per second.

So it's about half a second or so per earth diameter.

I'm not sure if this makes it any more comprehensible. Nor if this makes it more amenable to El Reg units.

1. Blofeld's Cat
          Coat

"... El Reg units."

According to my calculations that's approximately 535,342,400 brontosaurus per hour or 146,884,570 linguine per second.

OK I know, but the pub's closed ...

1. OssianScotland
            Pint

brontosaurii per hour? Surely El Reg has an appropriate unit for time?

If not, a standard half-lunchtime (since time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so) needs to be defined immediately!

Icon: with some peanuts, to DA

2. Not also known as SC

Officially it should be 685.9186 % of the maximum velocity of a sheep in a vacuum.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/Design/page/reg-standards-converter.html

3. spold Silver badge

I believe that is around 5151989755 furlongs/fortnight

1. Stoneshop
          Boffin

$ units

3098 units, 109 prefixes, 109 nonlinear units

You have: 46 million miles/hour

You want: furlongs/fortnight

* 1.23648e+11

/ 8.0874741e-12

4. Pen-y-gors

I think it would take a couple of hours to cross Wales. We don't really do things like motorways much, and we don't have any railways between north and south, so travel tends to be quite leisurely here, particularly when stuck behind a tractor, a timber lorry or a Mansell-Davies tanker. Even astronomical tsunamis have to learn to chill out and take it easy.

But at the moment we really don't want ANY visitors, astronomical phenomena or human. Please stay at home and stay safe there. Diolch.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

@ Stuartnz Re: Mindboggingly fast

So its true.

You never see or hear the one that kills you.

The earth would be vaporized before you even saw the flash of light.

But on the good side... you won't feel it either.

1. Stoneshop

Re: @ Stuartnz Mindboggingly fast

The earth would be vaporized before you even saw the flash of light.

Well, the earth being vaporised is bad news, but that would not in itself destroy the earth while still arriving before the flash of light and definitely well before this black hole tsunami which only travels at about seven percent of the speed of light.

3. Muscleguy

Thanks for at least relating it to a number I can turn into metric. 46 million miles per hour? miles?

Is El Reg a UK site or an American one?

1. R0bb1eB
        Unhappy

Unfortunately, even dear old Blighty insists on sticking to the antiquated Latin concept known as the mile instead of favouring a more modern unit of distance.

3. Blofeld's Cat
    Coat

Quasar tsunamis ...

Aside from being an awesome band name, "Quasar Tsunamis" is definitely the sort of thing that Ming the Merciless would have on his console.

Ming: "Klytus, I'm bored. What plaything can you offer me today?"

Klytus: "An obscure body in the S-K system, Your Majesty. The inhabitants refer to it as the planet Earth".

RIP Max von Sydow

1. Sandtitz Silver badge
      Go

Re: Quasar tsunamis ...

Sampled into a great Orb track

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"They reckon it’ll only get faster over time"

How does that work ?

Unless I missed something in science class, in space you need some form of propulsion to go faster. This quasar tsunami (as awesome as it is named) is just gas and particles hurtling across a galaxy and encountering other gas and particles.

Those are not conditions that are favorable to acceleration.

1. Mud5hark

Re: "They reckon it’ll only get faster over time"

It's being accelerated by the radiation coming from the accretion disk. And that radiation is going at the speed of light!

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Indeed. Whilst probably fine for physicists, the article is not exactly good communication for mere mortals.

“The amount of mechanical energy that these outflows carry is up to several hundreds of times higher than the luminosity of the entire Milky Way galaxy."

How many non-physicists equate mechanical energy to light?!? (E.g. for a planet earth example, in energy terms, how much does a 10KW radio transmitter output compare to someone blowing up a balloon?).

Radiation at many wavelengths doesn't cause anything to move. Heat, presumably would, through expansion of gases, but the text is not explicit.

1. IGotOut Silver badge

I agree, can we have a Red Dwarf "There's a swirly thing " type explanation?

2. Martin Gregorie

Radiation at many wavelengths doesn't cause anything to move.

Sure it does: photon impacts, though individually providing just a tiny amount of energy, do push on anything they hit. That is why a lightsail works. This has now been demonstrated by direct experiment.

https://www.planetary.org/blogs/jason-davis/heres-what-we-learned-so-far-ls2.html

3. Stoneshop
        Boffin

E.g. for a planet earth example, in energy terms, how much does a 10KW radio transmitter output compare to someone blowing up a balloon?

The transmitter output is power (watts, joules per second, norrislinguini per fortnight), while the quasar outflow is energy (verybignum joules, stillverybignum terawatthours, staggeringlyhugenum hamstersaros).

In short: conformability error

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

You're not making things any clearer.

So comparing power with energy is like comparing apples and pears?

The article is about comparing energy with physical movement.

1. Stoneshop
            Boffin

You're not making things any clearer.

This explanation is worth exactly what you paid for it.

So comparing power with energy is like comparing apples and pears?

Nope. It's comparing apples per unit of time to apples.

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Although it doesn't actually work by direct radiation pressure, the Crookes radiometer was invented 147 years ago and generations of students have seen direct evidence that light can produce mechanical movement. Perhaps TFA should have referred to it, but to be honest I am actually astounded that anybody interested enough to read the article wouldn't know about the radiometer.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Don't recall ever hearing of it or seeing one. Despite having a physics A level.

Regardless, people shouldn't have to have a technical qualification to have an interest in a technical subject and should be able to understand a press report - that's the whole point about effective communication.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I have to admit I am simply astounded that someone managed to do physics A level without coming across the Crooke's radiometer. In fact, we had one sited right in the most suitable window of the A level physics lab.

1. Stoneshop
              Boffin

I have to admit I am simply astounded that someone managed to do physics A level without coming across the Crooke's radiometer.

I'm similarly astounded that that physics A level has clearly not left the ability to do some simple unit conversions as well as noticing that power and energy are differing simply because one incorporates a time component while the other does not, and hence aren't directly comparable.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Well done both of you for turning an explanation into being about you and what astounds you.

Meanwhile back on topic: “The amount of mechanical energy that these outflows carry is up to several hundreds of times higher than the luminosity of the entire Milky Way galaxy."

So are they directly comparable or does this statement simply confuse the layman?

4. R0bb1eB
      Alien

Nah it's got to be from the accumulated mass of all the gas and dust causing increased gravity

5. ThatOne Silver badge

Uh-oh.

Let's hope our own galactic black hole (Sgr A) won't start eating that messily. I'm pretty sure an "overheated particles in radiation sauce" tsunami would be just as deadly as a water one, and in space there are no hills to run for.

1. IGotOut Silver badge

Re: Uh-oh.

It's radiation, so stop worrying.

Paint yourself white and hide under the table...

1. Stoneshop
        Boffin

Paint yourself white

Tinfoil. Shiny side out.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Holmes

Sagittarius A is getting more active according to recent observations, but slowly. Most ejections go perpendicular to the galaxy and might affect things like star formation but wouldn't have any direct effect on Earth. Any mass ejection in the plane of the galaxy would be too far away to affect Earth. So you can go back to worrying about all the other ways the universe has to kill us.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Just keep an eye out for a Kemplerer Rosette traveling out of the galaxy.

(yeah, maybe Niven spelled it wrong)

1. timrowledge

We’ve already seen the outriders of the Fleet - what did you think Oumuamua was?

1. Ben Bonsall

A terrible attempt to spell Rama.

3. Mystic Megabyte
      Happy

Yup! there's a song about that :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRm7j2UL3YY

6. Frumious Bandersnatch

Oh the deadwood stage is heading on over the hills...

whip-crack-away!

1. Frumious Bandersnatch

Re: Oh the deadwood stage is heading on over the hills...

(which just goes to show that in an infinite universe, nothing is really original)

7. Sanguma

I wish

that sf/philosophical writer Olaf Stapledon could've read this for his Nebula Maker novel. It would've been a different novel altogether!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I wish

Oh. like "The Little House On The Prairie"?

8. southen bastard

But what about wind turbine generators?

( can) we make electrickery to sell to alieans

1. HelpfulJohn

" ... ( can) we make electrickery to sell to alieans ..."

Yes. Once we get there, then manage to build a windmill several million light-years wide.

I'll leave the calculation of when that would be as a test for the student.

Remember to show all working and to use proper Vulture units.

Extra points for an ASCII image of the windmill's design.

9. LenG

Good old Hubble

Still churning out amazing results despite age and (corrected) astigmatism.

10. Neil Barnes Silver badge

It sounds

As if this is something one would prefer not to be too close to. Pretty, perhaps, but probably not conducive to good health.

11. MickCid
    Alien

It never ceases to amase me when astromoners explain the speeds of matter through the space.

The black holes have been unknown quantities for such a long time, but the Hubble telescope are getting better pictures and providing more information to their existence.

There has to be a reason for the black holes. Whenever I read of ancient drawings found in caves relating to men in space suits, the mind starts to wonder, how often have we humans witnessed what could be alien sightings but there is no evidence of any planets with life forms in our solar system.

I have my own experience of an unexplained areal event.

For many years now I have wondered if it is possible that Black Holes are vents/gate ways into another dimention.

The statement to the Black Hole emitting quasar tsunamis to the rate of 46 million miles per hour, is the latest information regarding Black Holes, previous information regarding Black Holes stated that the gravitational pull of a Black Hole is so great anything that passes in it's zone shall be sucked in.

This latest information has me wondering what if the likelihood of aliens are transporting through these porthole at such speeds of 46million miles per hour, they would not need, much fuel to sustain a long journey by our standards.

I know my imagination is probably wide of the mark, but is it possible.....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What are the likelihood your wardrobe leads to Narnia?

I know nothing about your wardrobe. Thus it is possible!

Lack of knowledge does not imply excess of possibility. It implies lack of knowledge.

2. Mooseman Silver badge

I'm curious why you think there has to be a "reason for black holes" - I assume you mean some kind of design to allow us puny humans to travel to somewhere else? There is a lot of quasi scientific cow flop written about black holes, "spacemen" drawing etc, and if you look at the authors they are all trying hard to fit observations to their preconceived ideas, rather than the normal way round.

However, what is confusing you about black holes is the difference between being inside the event horizon and being outside it:

You are quite correct, anything that falls *into* a black hole (ie anything that passes beyond the event horizon) does not come out again

simply travelling past it does not mean you fall into it immediately, the destruction of matter as if falls in releases mind boggling amounts of energy, which drives this "tsunami" as per the article.

There are some really good articles and videos on black holes around, someone posted a great link a few days ago. The way to think of it is like this - a black hole has the same mass, and therefore gravity, as the star or stars that it was created from. It's not some magical space monster. the big difference is that all that mass has been compressed into a single point, close to that point the gravity is enough to prevent even light escaping, but outside that area it behaves like any other massive body in space.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I blame Sci-fi for this. Every, literally *everyone* says "movies don't effect me, I don't believe them I know they are fiction".

They say "you fall into a black hole". No, you orbit it like anything else. If the Sun turned into a black hole this second, you'd only notice when it went dark 8 mins later. Nothing else changes, except the *density* of the object.

The creation of such a thing, in a supernova, or the infalling (from decaying orbits) of the matter around it though, those make things nasty!

1. HelpfulJohn

Sol going dark?

I think that were old Sol to make itself over as a compacted object we would be unlikely to ever see anything like darkness. The released energies resulting from the infall would be so bright that they would probably vaporise the planet.

Indeed, https://what-if.xkcd.com/73/ probably applies. https://what-if.xkcd.com/49/ would never have a chance to happen.

12. Tom 38

how often have we humans witnessed what could be alien sightings but there is no evidence of any planets with life forms in our solar system

Certainly not intelligent life.

1. Stoneshop
      Windows

Certainly not intelligent life.

And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space

Cause there's bugger-all down here on Earth.

Looking around for some data to compare that black hole tsunami to I came across an article reporting that the Milky Way is twice as thick as previously measured, so it's clear that looking for intelligent life may have a better chance of succeeding when looking elsewhere.

1. HelpfulJohn

Re: Certainly not intelligent life.

"... I came across an article reporting that the Milky Way is twice as thick as previously measured, ..."

Would that be because of a certain election victory some four years back?

13. Justin Case
    Headmaster

It pains me to be a pedant, but

>> “No other phenomena carries more mechanical energy,” said Nahum Arav

EITHER

“No other phenomenon carries more mechanical energy,” said Nahum Arav

OR

“No other phenomena carry more mechanical energy,” said Nahum Arav

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It pains me to be a pedant, but

He's in the U.S. English may not be his primary language.

2. IGotOut Silver badge

Re: It pains me to be a pedant, but

"It pains me to be a pedant, but"

Does it?

If it causes you pain, maybe you should consider giving it up.

Or should it read "it gives me joy to be a pedant , so I shall continue"?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like