back to article Microsoft drops a seemingly innocuous Windows Insider build, teases the future

Microsoft celebrated its Teams success with a fresh build of Windows 10 that was so light on features that chief product officer Panos Panay felt the urge to tease on other upcoming toys. We would have described Build 19587 as a bit of a yawnfest had it (combined with the Office Insider programme) not left this Vulture's …

1. SVV

Start Menu flakier than ever

Twenty five years they've had. A quarter of a century. To simply provide a menu to invoke other applications that is stable, easily customisable and usable.

And still they keep fucking it up.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Start Menu flakier than ever

Lets just face it. Windows is broken. It is time that MS just admitted it and moved on to an OS Suitable for the 21st Century.

Put it as it is on maintenance/security only and develop a new userland on top of Linux. MS is hinting that this is the future. Why not come clean and tell the world.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

At least they could manage one consistent widget kit and window manager that fully supports multitouch. Unlike fucking Linux.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@AC - Re: Start Menu flakier than ever

And what's stopping you from picking one widget kit, stick with it and ignore the rest ?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: @AC - Start Menu flakier than ever

That applications can't agree on one widget kit.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

“... one consistent widget kit...”

Hardly. In the average Windows 10 installation, there are at least 117 different implementations of the scroll bar, 114 of those in Office. They share not a single byte of common code.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Moving the goalposts.

In Windows 95 through 7, the Start menu was as consistent as can be.

3. Elledan

I have been using Classic Start Menu since Windows 7 (2009) on any system that I own to keep the Windows 2000-style start menu. Occasionally I find myself confronted with the 'new' start menu attempts in Window 7, 8.1 and the dumpster fire that is the Windows 10 'start menu'.

I still fail to see where the Windows 2000 start menu needed such a big change, especially with the hiding of applications and easy access to settings dialogues.

Maybe you're supposed to just ask Cortana to find everything for you these days?

2. redpawn

If it doesn't fail,

there's no room for improvement and no desire to update. Failure is THE essential feature.

3. Ahosewithnoname

Stop press!

Technical preview build in "unstable and full of bugs" shocker.. You don't _have_ to install it you know

4. hitmouse

Snip & Sketch (connected to Win+PrtScr) has been intermittently broken across all my devices (all different manufacturers and video drivers) for months and now seems uniformly borked everywhere. I've reset it , reinstalled it, but it just refuses to capture anything. Thank goodness the old Snipping Tool hasn't been permanently removed yet.

5. Elledan
    Happy

Welcome to the world of Agile.

There was this big fuss about Microsoft shifting from the antiquated 'waterfall' development model, and shifting to the hip & modern 'Agile/Scrum' method. What this effectively meant, however, was firing the QA department, no longer bothering with releases, and instead having developers churn out half-tested code into chunks that'd be spat out at 'Fast Ring' , 'Slow Ring' and 'Please Don't Hurt Me Ring', AKA 'Business customers'.

Which means that if you use Windows 10 and aren't being paid by Microsoft, you're effectively an unpaid Microsoft employee. Congrats :)

6. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"it is a reminder that - hey"

- you're doing Microsoft's Quality Assurance.

7. Tubz Silver badge

I'm just so surprised that Teams hasn't made in to Windows 10 as the default free IM/Skype application.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like