back to article Nation's home workers hitting refresh on 7 April can buy... Honor's bargain-basement Ryzen ultrabook

The people of Great Britain will soon be able to get their hands on Huawei sub-brand Honor's latest ultrabook – the Magicbook 14. First released in China in November, the MagicBook is Honor's latest foray into the laptop sphere. The firm announced it would bring it to Europe in February, at a press-conference that otherwise …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Any idea if it would run Linux? This strikes me as quite a good spare machine, it would be a waste to run Windows on it (although it would at least run quickly).

1. Mr Sceptical
      Linux

Should be standard HW under the hood - just take a Live USB distro along with you and try it out.

It's only if it's got a non-standard NIC/Wifi card I'd be concerned about Linux drivers.

1. Warm Braw

According to this, Huawei actually sells Linux versions, at least in China.

2. big_D Silver badge

The latest Kernel has improved support for Ryzen mobile (support of low, normal and overpower modes), so if you use a current Linux, chances are that it will run well.

1. Benchops

Just in time for

.Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. No OS upgrades required for 5 years!

2. macjules

The machine bears an uncanny resemblance to the 13-inch MacBook Pro

Does it come with a shite keyboard? Occasional battery failure? Prone to shutting down unexpectedly?

1. Waseem Alkurdi

Re: The machine bears an uncanny resemblance to the 13-inch MacBook Pro

"But it's Apple and we all know Apple laptops don't break!"

- somebody

2. Claverhouse Silver badge

Well, it is amazing a Chinese product should duplicate a Western design.

1. Mage Silver badge
        Alien

"It's amazing how similar all these Tellurian products are," remarked the Alien visitor to the Supermarket. "Why are there so many brands with identical products?"

Seems to have the same screen as my 2 year old Lenovo E460, which now only run Linux natively.

3. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Linux

All the above questions plus...

Can you change the battery?

My current laptop is about 6 years old now, and showing it's age sometimes.

P.S. Rather like me :(

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: All the above questions plus...

You are doing very well for a six year old

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Not surprised. My 18month old already knows how to skip adverts on the YouTube app.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Pfft. All 6-year-olds are above average.

(My personal laptop is 13 years old. It's having some issues with overheating, which a disassembly and cleaning haven't fixed, but aside from that it's still working fine.)

4. Bryan B

Touchscreen?

Increasingly the norm - though perhaps not at that price, and the hihonor.com website offers no hints. )-:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like