back to article Finally – news that something is guaranteed to be healthy and well looked-after for the next six months. That something is Windows 10 1709

Microsoft will extend the support life of Windows 10 1709’s Enterprise, Education, and IoT Enterprise editions, because right now we’ve all got better things to do than upgrade Windows. A late Thursday post by John Cable, leader of Microsoft’s Windows Servicing and Delivery team, explained Microsoft’s thinking as follows. “We …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Phew

Thanks for the breather Microsoft!

2. JDPower Bronze badge

Hey Microsoft, it's having an impact on us windows 7 users too, don't suppose you fancy flinging some security updates our way? Hellooo??? Hey, stop ignoring me!

1. Piro Silver badge

W7

3 more years with ESU

ESU bypass works.. for now

2. veti Silver badge

Yeah, it's not like they told you nine years ago when W7 would end its support life! How dare they spring this - three months ago?

3. Dave K

Wow, MS accepting for once that upgrading Windows 10 all the time is a faf. Now, how about making LTSC more widely available and supporting O365 on it? Or am I being hopelessly optimistic here?

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Linux

Libre Office works for me... (and reads/writes docs compatible with O-365)

haven't seen any OS restrictions with it, either. [guess which OS _I_ run it on??]

If they're forcing you into "the latest Win-10-nic" to use O-365, it _SHOULD_ be a "deal breaker" and you THEN switch to some OTHER office... (and then, 'welcome aboard' frustrated customer!)

4. BillGatesOfHell
    Facepalm

GRRRRRRR

Hey Microsoft, Update from 1903 to 1909 keeps failing. *yawn* just like all the other 'upgrades'.

notification..... 'update is ready'

reboot...... 'prepares for update'

reboot...... 'applies update'

reboot...... 'could not apply update'

reboot...... 'undoing update'

reboot...... 'back to normal after wasting 10 minutes'

48 hours later, download same 300mb+ file and same old shit.

put up with it for 2-3 months thinking thay will provide a fix

give up and reinstall

wait for next 'upgrade'

This is the 4th time in 5 years, same old shit.

Windows support forum full of clueless dinlos (probably bots designed to make you feel sorry for them cuz it's not their fault they are useless).

Bill Gates stepping down?

About time he and his crew started stepping the f@*k up.

Good luck Bill finding a cure for malaria when you can't even fix the shit you wrote. Oh, and thanks for all the pain you've caused over the last 25 years, I'm sure your replacement will continue to have us all in good hands.

1. Danny 14

Re: GRRRRRRR

Remove all profiles you dont need. This is what caused this issue on our machines.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Meh

Remove all profiles you dont need

does that SPECIFICALLY include profiles that do NOT have a "microsoft logon" - would THAT be the trigger, by any chance?

Having extra profiles is something I always do. I typically have at least 2 profiles on ANY system, even a VM. And more as required by the circumstances, ones that are never used except for that specific purpose requiring them (like maybe one WITH a cloudy login on a Win-10-nic test VM, for only those things needing it, to test things maybe).

So yeah at least 2 users, ALWAYS, one admin, one deliberately NOT admin. And then a bunch of others, as needed.

And MS updates had trouble with systems set up like THIS, right?? I'm sure I'm not the ONLY one being this cautious about personal privacy and data/system protection, ya know...

I know MS has gone nutzie coo-coo with the admin-level thing again, for "the Store" and the 'Microsoft Cloudy Logon' in general. Those who fell for their scam, you have at least a fraction of my pity.

1. Danny 14

There are usually about 40 profiles on our machines. Depends how many people have logged on the past week. Group policies do clean old ones but we found the update was stalling on some. Looking in the panther logs pointed me in the direction of some profiles failing the update. No idea on the downvotes or vitriol, it was a fix that worked on our 300 machines.

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Devil

Good luck Bill finding a cure for malaria

I heard there already WAS at least a treatment for it... something that ALSO appears to work on Corona virus. Some MD in France found it as I recall. Being tested in several places now, with lots of optimism. That happened without Bill's involvement [I think that particular medicine was invented in the 1940's].

Just think - if Bill G. had actually CURED malaria, we might not have discovered this particular drug that treats malaria... because [if i have my info correct] the people being treated with this medication (maybe as a prophylactic?) were apparently NOT getting corona virus, and that's (apparently) what tipped off the researchers!

something to consider...

1. MacroRodent

Actually, not so many people use chloroquine as a malaria prophylactic anymore, because in most places the malaria parasite has become resistant to it.

Doctors are currently throwing anything they can find in the medicine cupboard at the virus, in the hope something works. I suspect the effect was discovered because of this.

2. illiad

AFAIK Bill was only 'the boss' and I do believe that the last bit of code he touched was of the win95 variety...

And then he was trying to get his team of coders to get his 'vision' shoe horned into the already creaking mess..

WHY he thought an 'representation' of an app should be a large block I dunno..

ok for a 4 or 5 inch screen, but on a decent 15in monitor it would take up a large amount of screen space!

and then it took 6 months to realise that people did not like it!

3. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

The word "treat" has a special lack of meaning when applied to health and illness. I'm not a lawyer but it appears to me that you can, for instance, "treat" Covid-19 by drinking plenty of cold water. This won't do you any particular good at all, but it is a "treatment". That doesn't mean that it should work. Something to consider when looking at alternative medicine "treatments" for this, that, and in many cases everything. They do not have to be any good at all, or even not harmful, and there is no law to say that they must. Morally they should, legally it's the Wild West. And so one thinks fondly of frontier justice...

3. robidy

No problem here with hundreds upgraded.

Is it just the one PC or are you seeing this on hundreds?

5. Pascal Monett Silver badge

So, let me get this straight

Microsoft is not updating its OS now, when we're working from home and not capable of doing much, but suspending updating Windows to such a time as we'll all be back at work, working double time to catch up.

Great idea, Microsoft. I couldn't expect more from you.

1. Danny 14

Re: So, let me get this straight

Yeah because its not fun upgrading and rebooting machines at work that wont play with wake on lan.

Plus MS aren't saying you cant update, just that you don't have to update.

6. a_yank_lurker

Death of WaaS

So working from home might force Slurp to reconsider its idiotic release cadence for Bloat-as-a-(dis)Service. Many have complained Bloat 10 is at best an early beta release and needs some TLC to be a semi-workable system. Also, a rapid downgrade cadence adds work to the IT staff without adding any real value, definite job security until the bean counters start asking some rather pointed questions. Add working from home, stability will be prized over features as companies need to have work get done not fight the latest bungled Bloat release remotely.

1. keb

Re: Death of WaaS

The 1909 release seems quite smooth and smaller than previous ones, if it works at all that is.

2. J27

Everyone is doing a constant update cadence now, it was not a Microsoft idea and they were pretty much last to do it. Google and Apple beat them to the punch with their OS and browser releases (by years) and pretty much anything else.

This is common, this is how the industry develops software now, Microsoft was pulled along by the tide (for better or worse). Having a 1990s attitude about 2020 software is not realistic.

1. Danny 14

Server 2016 was built on 1607 and is going strong.

2. a_yank_lurker

There are key differences particularly with browsers. OSes are much more critical than any browser as in it must work or you have a very expensive brick. With browsers, one can (and should) have multiple browsers installed so if one goes sideways you have a fall back or two. And with browsers one can have different ones open at the same time which you cannot do with an OS. Fruit updates are technically optional, you can delay them until you are ready and the cadence is annual with fewer new 'features' added per release.

3. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Bloat-as-a-(dis)Service

good name for it!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So now we're say windows is healthy? Times have sure changed.

8. oiseau
    WTF?

WTF?

Windows?

Guaranteed?

To be healthy ?????

Don't fuck around ...

9. bombastic bob Silver badge
    Unhappy

we have better things to do with our lives than upgrade Windows

not just RIGHT NOW, but *THE* *REST* *OF* *THE* *TIME* *TOO* !!!

(why does nobody at Micro-shaft seem to CARE???)

10. James Anderson

Windows 10 updates always break something.

The only serious windows laptop belongs to She Who Must Be Obeyed. Every two months or so it goes out of action for a couple of hours going through the painful update process and when ot returns something is always broken. Currently it will not connect to a bog standard Epson wireless printer which all the linux boxen have no trouble using, been a problem for weeks now. Last update borked skye which was easily solved as the update pushed the crappy "TILE" version to the fore obscuring the working proper windows app.

Recently it totally borked an ASUS stick PC as 32GB is not enough to hold a copy of windows with no extra apps installed plus the update.

I know the solution is move to Mint Cinnamon -- but she is stuck with a couple of windows only applications.

Unfortunately I think most windows users are in this position they would happliy move away from the increasingly weird Windows 10, but depend on

Viseo, and bizarrely in the wifes case Apple Itunes. with 15 years of music most of the early downloads are DRM encumbered and do not transfer easily.

And NO I am not paying through the nose for a MAC.

11. BGatez

..because no tech wants to make a house call to fix your MS fubared machine

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Am I being paranoid....

Or is MS actually employing someone to downvote critical comments.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Childcatcher

Why on earth would you want to go back to 2017? This is 2020, three years have passed.

Keep up kids.

14. W. Anderson

Microsoft is beginning to Sound like Donald Trump

I am running openSuSE Leap 15.1 as enterprise grade desktop and server, and for last 12 months- even till today has not experienced one major problem with updates and upgrades.

Microsoft on the other hand has experienced nothing but problems, both with all latest Windows 10 updates of patches for patches, and with security fixes for Windows 7, even for enterprises with subscription for such Windows version.

Like the obvious flaws in convoluted and confusing positions and non-actions coming out of the White House for this health pandemic, likewise remains the bumbling tech behemoth that never gets it's act together but always comes up smelling roses even when falling in it's own poop.

It has been reported by credible Tech media and experts in major tech firms that the Russians are eager and starting to take advantage of weaknesses in Windows 10 of workers by the tens of thousands being sent home to operate by remote access.

Even earlier in TheRegister story highlighted the significant additional costs related to such remote access practice in requirement of Enterprise subscription fees and special security configuration of Windows based remote worker PCs.

Small businesses, organizations, for example of fifty or less workers cannot afford such substantial additional financial outlays, which is never put to this category of Windows subscribers, who are most vulnerable to Russian hacks.

Only in USA can a large corporation be so loved by it's slavish citizens for producing inferior technology, which is also causing the nation to suffer double infliction by Covid-19 and Windows 10 virus pandemics.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like