back to article NHS websites will no longer burn up your mobile data allowance, say Brit telcos

Britain's mobile networks are to offer free access to online NHS pages about the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus, the UK government has declared. "Vodafone, EE, O2 and Three are among the mobile firms that have said they will give their customers free online access to the latest NHS health information about coronavirus," said the …

1. wolfetone Silver badge

It begs the question as to why it's taken this pandemic to have this happen?

1. LeahroyNake

Also why they didn't just add .gov.uk to the list as it is the official location that lists rights for employees etc

On a similar note, my car MOT runs out at the end of the month. I can see the fine coming already but cannot take it to the garage :/ hope they defer the requirement until this crap is over.

1. Lazlo Woodbine

If you're self isolating probably an idea to SORN the car until this all blows over, obviously it would need to be parked off road for this to be legal.

As far as I can tell the DVLA have not issued any guidance on this as yet

2. John Miles

MOT

If it is off road I believe it is OK for it to be without MOT as long as it is Taxed or SORN, you can't get it taxed without MOT (or less than 3 years old), so would have to SORN it then. If VED is due at end of month and MOT due then, probably worth seeing if you can renew now as I have managed that in past to ensure tax disk arrived in time, even though MOT would expire before new Tax started (though don't know if it will work with new system)

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

We've two cars in this house - the town runabout is booked in for MoT next Monday with 2 weeks left of the current certificate. The garage is a 5minute walk and is still open so that should be ok.

The main car is due in May, so the 30day grace is from mid-April. That could become interesting.

4. Cederic Silver badge

Worse case, ask a neighbour to take it to the garage for you, or ask the garage if they can collect.

I've already let my neighbours know that if they're self-isolating and need things sorting, I can help out with this sort of thing.

5. Trigonoceps occipitalis

MOT

Yes, my MOT is due. I decided to go to the manufacturer's franchise because they'll collect from and deliver to my house. Collection charges and no discount on the test but that is a small price in the circumstances.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just don't expect to be able to contact your GPs surgery from abroad if they use SystmOne. The Morin's putting that together configured it to ignore traffic from non-UK IP addresses.

Unfortunately it also meant for me that I couldn't access my GPs surgery from work, even though it was in the UK. The parent company was French and out IP address allocation was from a block of "French" numbers.

Knobwits

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ah, that explains why I couldn't put in a repeat prescription request while abroad on holiday, for it to be ready for when I got back. I hadn't realized it was "from abroad" in general, as I was in Albania and guessed it was just the usual suspiciousness about that country.

3. Frumious Bandersnatch

I hate to say this...

but it goes against the idea of net neutrality. It's also, technically-speaking, illegal in the EU.

Fire away with any of the below objections if you wish:

• You are a horrible person!
    • Typical EU-tard! Is it any wonder we wanted to leave the EU?
    • This is war! Where is your Blitz Spirit?
    • Telcos finally do something nice and you want to bring in the lawyers?
    • Would you prefer people got their information from Facebook?

Don't forget the sunset clause, and don't forget the power of virtue signalling ("nicewashing").

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Would that include the adverts?

Silly question wasn't it?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

nhs.net

I have been receiving text messages from a nhs.net, has anyone heard of this? It looks like some sort of scam website as, according to domain tools, it is registered in Florida by Perfect Privacy LLC. Anyway it is not amongst the websites listed.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: nhs.net

NHS.net is the nhs email system run by Accenture at the moment. It is genuine. Hadn’t looked at where it was registered recently but that Florida lookup seems dodgy, sounds like your domain maybe compromised.

1. Bill Dozer

The IP number is 62.208.144.13. The PTR of the IP number is nhs.net. The IP number is in Swindon, United Kingdom. It is hosted by DE-ECRC-62-208-0-0.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Those details are not the same as http://whois.domaintools.com/nhs.net

Whois Record for nhs.net

Domain Profile

Registrant PERFECT PRIVACY, LLC

Registrant Country us

IP Address 64.124.166.141 is hosted on a dedicated server

IP Location United States Of America - Colorado - Louisville

6. Graham 25

They should spend more time on the COVID ward phones

With an elderly father in a COVID ward for a couple of months, the only communications with him have been via the conveniently placed bedside phone with an 0872 number - effectively a premium rate number.....

Two months later, two £300 bills run up by an elderly mother speaking to her husband of almost 60 years is simply a joke. eeven a local Birmingham number would be fine.

Someones getting rich and its the phone provider in the NHS wards .....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like