back to article Tencent is now bigger than Cisco and Lenovo – and predicts this virus thingy will help it get bigger still

Chinese internet titan Tencent has revealed its Q4 2019 and full year 2019 results, and the numbers are lovely. Q4 revenue was US$15.161bn, up 25 percent year-on-year. Operating profit was $4.3bn, up 35 percent compared to the same period in 2018. Annual revenue reached $54bn, a 21 percent rise. $16.4bn of that was operating …

1. Teiwaz

Constantly confused

Never can shake the image of a rap artist, every time the company's name is mentioned.

Doesn't come up often enough for my brain to adjust more than short term error catch....

I am oddly comforted by remembering what Arthur Dent said about mere Culture Shock vs. full panic.

1. W.S.Gosset

Re: Constantly confused

hey these timestamps are weird, eh? my post's is showing 2 mins earlier than yours but appearing below it.

we both had basically the same thought :D

2. W.S.Gosset

Tencent?

At this rate, they'll have to change their name to Fiddy.

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"Such tools, execs said, should find wider markets in the future"

If they work, that is. I find it extremely unlikely that a phone app can do any medical diagnosis whatsoever. With the exception of a bad-quality heartbeat monitor (the microphone that you can put against your chest), the typical mobile phone has no monitoring hardware for temperature, blood pressure or anything.

And if you're just asking questions to the user, then you run into the issues of response reliability. Not to mention understanding the question appropriately.

In short, I'm skeptical.

1. Teiwaz

Re: "Such tools, execs said, should find wider markets in the future"

I find it extremely unlikely that a phone app can do any medical diagnosis whatsoever

I suppose an app could be put together to causetest for madness.

I'm looking forward to them being put forward for hearing loss tests.

1. BebopWeBop

Would installing and using such an app for anything other than entertainment be a prime indicator?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

There were some early trials that showed automated SMS could help with mental health issues and that study has been used to develop several apps assisting out patients in maintaining their mental health. I did some IT work for a mental health provider a few years back.

3. DanceMan
        Joke

Re: looking forward to them being put forward for hearing loss tests.

What?

1. W.S.Gosset
          Joke

Re: looking forward to them being put forward for hearing loss tests.

ABOUT A QUARTER TO FOUR

2. Nolveys
      Big Brother

Scanning...

Symptoms: Violent cough, fever, bluing of lips, chest pain.

Diagnosis: Sleep apnea.

Treatment: Patient should sleep laying on side in isolated room with door welded shut.

Sending diagnosis to internationally published statistical database...

Notice: The CCP is an excellent government that has provided timely and accurate information regarding COVID-19, also known as "The American Virus". The CCP has done a better job than the government of any other nation dealing with this crisis. Also, the WHO is a completely autonomous and independent organization that also provides completely accurate information, particularly where the CCP is involved.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Holmes

Then again, these are the same type of tools Google and Verily are developing and Trump is touting. Self diagnosis is not great but if it can help you decide if you should see a doctor or just have some hot tea and chicken soup that will help the patient and the medical profession.

An aside - chicken soup is a cure all for colds on this side of the pond; do you Brits feel the same or do you have something else (like hot Bovril)?

1. IGotOut Silver badge

Nope we use Chicken soup, but I guess yours is more potent, what with the extra chlorine content.

4. Aqua Marina

Tencent QQ

Is this the same Tencent that is responsible for the malware ridden Tencent QQ that's brought every machine I've ever seen it installed on, to it's knees... And the entire network surrounding it. We are screwed if it is.

1. IGotOut Silver badge

Re: Tencent QQ

So it's the new Yahoo! Toolbar then?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Joke?

"......chairman and CEO Pony Ma....." parent's must have had a sense of humour - 'Ma' means horse in Chinese!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like