back to article Not just video-conferencing apps taking a dive: IBM Cloud hit by partial Tuesday outage

A mystery outage hit IBM Cloud today, partially knocking out services for much of the day stateside. At time of writing, parts of the platform remain down even after several hours. Big Blue said customers running services hosted at its Dallas data center – including Watson AI, IBM Cloud, and DB2 – were either partially or …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Quinn is right

I've had to deal with IBM as a partner for five years, from 2012 to 2017, and I had no trouble recognizing the IBM Way of presenting information - meaning in the least useful and intuitive way possible. The choices made are inconsistent and basically tailor-made to drive you mad. Of course, I was dealing with their Partner Portal, something I still have to do from time to time.

I see that IBM has remained steadfast in dealing with the future with the same incomprehensible approach it always has had. Well, that's $30+ billion for RedHat down the drain. I do not know if IBM will ever, ever realize what usability is, but it sure has a way of putting new acquisitions into the cookie mold to ensure that all newcomers come out formatted to the IBM model - the one that made them successful from the 30s to the 90s. Shame that they stayed in the last millennium.

1. Quinnypig

Re: Quinn is right

I don't think I've ever written an article putting the boots to a company that got LESS pushback than this one did. I've received piles of messages from folks all saying the same thing; many from current highly-placed engineers within IBM. "You're saying what we've all been saying, keep going!" was the gist of their sentiments.

I've yet to hear a single response that would suggest that I was being unfair.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Staffer - hence 'Anon'

This is the IBM Way. When something goes wrong you give out less information than the airline staff at an airport when your flight is delayed.

The last thing you do is explain openly and honestly to the customer(s) what has gone wrong. You deal with in internally, under the covers, an under no circumstances admit that IBM has screwed up or dropped the ball. Once its all fixed the 'leadership' will sanitise a story that can be spun to the customer(s) in such a way that its always someone elses fault.

3. hobble

IBM Services are working

The Db2 and Compose services are working well. I believe the status is only a generic overall status for all systems everywhere. Any problem - even a small one I think is reflected there instead of it meaning the whole service is down.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like