back to article Hello, sub £-100 Moto: Lenovo punts 6.1-inch display e6S at low-cost crowd

Motorola Mobility has lifted the lid on its latest budget blower – the pocket-friendly Moto e6s, which offers the most compelling, er, screen-to-price ratios on the market. Just £99 gets you a phone with a 6.1-inch HD screen. Before we delve into the gory details, it's worth mentioning that there are technically two different …

1. RegGuy1 Silver badge

Can you root it?

If you can root it and put something like LineageOS on it, so I can stop the annoying fucking ads you get on all phones, I'd be up for buying one.

1. Waseem Alkurdi

Re: Can you root it?

It's a MediaTek chip - so a mixed bag, it may be very easy or nigh-on impossible. And Motonovo phones are traditionally anti-modding.

There are no-root solutions that use a dummy local VPN (that routes your traffic to an app on your device) ... but that's fishy unless the one you use is open source.

If you want a really moddable phone, go for a used flagship model (or low-end if it really has to be new) that has a Qualcomm chip and a leaked/available factory programmer. Xiaomi even officially supplies them (instead of them being leaked like LG's or OnePlus's ones).

1. Joe W Silver badge

Re: Can you root it?

The main problem is that the rooting / modding scene is mostly made up of people who go "oooh, shiny-shiny" and buy the latest and greates (or at least not the low end models), so unless you plan to invest a ton of time (with uncertain outcome, as per Waseem's answer) go for something a little higher better. In the end price was my main motivator, the device should just work and I do not expect too much from it except to last a couple of years.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Might be worth considering a second-hand Wileyfox Swift 2 instead...they go for less than that, have all those features plus NFC and a USB-C port. And they're Dual SIM.

Actually, you can get a new one for around the same price direct from the manufacturer, though stocks are limited as they're not making any more...

1. Dabooka

I loved mine

Upgraded last year to a Moto G8 Action, but I would have stuck with the brand if they hadn't gone under.

Great value bits of kit on release.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I loved mine

I still have my Swift 2 Plus. It's a fantastic phone. I just wish they had made a follow-up...as I don't know where to go next...

It was very rare to find a metal-lined case, a fingerprint scanner, a dual-SIM capability and an NFC chip all in a phone for less than £150 at the time...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I still have a Swift 2X as my backup phone.

For what I paid for it, it was a belting phone. Shame that the battery started to go, and Wileyfox all but collapsed when the Russian money behind it went away...

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Despite what they advertise, it actually isn't that difficult to replace the battery...all you need is the right set of tiny screwdrivers which you can get off eBay for just a couple of pounds...it's not like it's glued in or anything. And you can get a battery from the same place.

3. Ogi
    Thumb Up

Aged?

> it clings stubbornly to the aged MicroUSB standard.

Good, microUSB is the one standard that has managed to persist for any period of time (short of the old barrel "nokia charger" back in the 90s early 2000's), why change it?

Pretty much every single device uses microUSB to charge now, not just phones. I got so many microUSB chargers, and so many more cables (as you know, microUSB is more than just a charging port), and it is so nice not to have to carry a charger/cable/adapter everywhere I go safe in the knowledge everyone has at least one microUSB cable kicking around. Or when going on holiday, being able to just take one or two microUSB chargers to cover all my devices. I have literally not been able to do that since the aforementioned "Nokia-everywhere" era.

Why on earth then, would I want them to move to another standard? One that is nowhere near as ubiquitous and convenient? I suspect a desire to charge us to replace all our chargers again, and for ones which have DRM to make sure you only buy the official, expensive, "branded" chargers. Yeah... no.

So, microUSB is a good point for me.

> There's a 3,000mAh battery, which charges at 5W over – as you may have guessed – MicroUSB, in addition to a 3.5mm headphone jack, Bluetooth 4.2, and 2.4GHz Wi-Fi b/g/n

Honestly, this sounds like my perfect next phone, and has a microSD slot to boot! If I find out the battery is removable, and you can put LineageOS on it, It would be perfect, and a guaranteed purchase from me. Alas the article didn't mention a removable battery, which is a shame...

Still, amazing to think that an 8 core CPU and 2GB ram is considered a "poor show" for a handheld mobile device. How times have changed... *glances at old Nokia n810, single core 400Mhz CPU with 128MB RAM*

1. Joe W Silver badge

Re: Aged?

I came here to write exactly that. Not everybody needs a crazy stupidly expensive cell phone. For some of us this is really good enough. Good price as well. My two or three year old Moto whatever is still OK, so no reason to get a new one for another two or three years. (it's also quite robust, dropped it a couple of times, nothing broke so far)

2. Waseem Alkurdi

. *glances at old Nokia n810, single core 400Mhz CPU with 128MB RAM*

And Real Actual Linux, unlike 99% of current Android phones. It's (was?) even being mainlined.

3. IGotOut Silver badge

To be fair, swapping a MicroUSB cable for a USB-C cable isn't going to break the bank and more and more devices are moving to it.

1. phuzz Silver badge

The trouble is, I still own a bunch of other devices which still use micro-USB (eBook, a torch, battery pack etc. etc.) so when I got a phone with USB-C I had to buy several new cables and chargers with multiple outputs (so I can charge other devices at the same time as my phone), and I get no advantage that I can see (the storage in my phone is not fast enough to benefit from USB3).

4. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Natalie Gritpants Jr

Re: Yeah the Nokia 2.3 is better

India has a huge population, many are not poor.

5. Dabooka

A burner phone fail

For me a burner phone is take out on all day session. That needs NFC in 2020

1. Joe W Silver badge

Re: A burner phone fail

Why?

(honest question, I don't have a use case for that)

1. IGotOut Silver badge
        Facepalm

So you can have that gormless panicky look on your face when you realise the car park / shop / pub doesn't accept contactless.

Yes I've seen all three in the last month and yes, all three were under 25.

2. Dabooka

It actually doesn't really need it at all.

My main gripe is the proliferation of machines that charge for cash withdraws, NFC allows you to get a round or two in until your route passes a proper [free] machine to use.

1. Lazlo Woodbine

Can't you do that with the same card you would be using in the ATM once you find one that's free to use?

6. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge
    Headmaster

"sub £-100"?

Seems a strange construction; kind of seems to imply they'll give you more than £100 to take it. I'd've gone for "sub-£100" if I were aiming for a compound adjective...

7. Sykowasp

"no NFC radio, making Google Pay transactions a frustrating impossibility"

For the people behind the person with the phone, this is "a glorious impossibility."

NFC phone payments are just so much slower than tapping a contactless card - which the owner of the phone will have on their person anyway.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like