back to article US Health and Human Services targeted by DDoS scum at just the time it's needed to be up and running

In an impeccable instance of horrible timing, the US government's Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) says it fended off a cyberattack by online scumbags. The department told The Reg on Monday it was on the receiving end of what was believed to be a failed distributed denial of service (DDoS) assault the previous day …

1. oldtaku Silver badge
    Devil

At Just the Time

This is exactly when you'd expect the Chinese, Russians, and Iranians to hit it for maximum chaos. No surprise there.

1. doublelayer Silver badge

Re: At Just the Time

Yes, but only if they stood to gain from the chaos. If they wanted to start conflict or disguise another type of attack, a powerful attack on a health system during a health crisis wouldn't hurt. If they wanted to create confusion and terror to affect an election, that might help too. But what do they stand to gain this time? The elections going on now are relatively minor, and some have been postponed. Also, the attack didn't even work. If this was a state actor, they have done nothing useful.

1. druck Silver badge

Re: At Just the Time

It's thought of as a zero sum game - whatever hurts my enemy, helps me.

2. jake Silver badge

"The attack – presumably not a load of citizens hitting Uncle Sam's web servers looking for information"

I suspect it was normal traffic. It's not like our Sainted .gov has anything resembling clues when it comes to the proper care and feeding of an extremely well used Web site. Every time I attempt to use a Government website, it's nothing but trouble ... almost as if it were designed and built by the lowest bidder, instead of the most competent.

Oh. Wait ...

3. Norman123

attack or incompetence masked as attack?

Looking at the way incompetence is blamed on others and the value of having boogeyman for corralling the sheep, one should always take whatever any government, especially the ones that have lied time and again, with a huge bag of salt.....Blaming others for its own failures is the oldest trick in the bag of all governments...

1. Robert Helpmann??
      Headmaster

Re: attack or incompetence masked as attack?

...any government, especially the ones that have lied time and again...

So all of them? What you have there is a bit redundant, though I agree with the sentiment.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meanwhile in the UK..

MPs continue to fire in FOI requests which eat into NHS clinician/managers time when we're trying to deal with COVID planning..

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like