back to article TensorFlow gets its quantum of solace, lid lifted on 'all-seeing crime-detecting' AI upstart, and more

Here's a handy little roundup of all the bits of AI news that you may have missed. Uh oh, another surveillance company has secretly been purloining data from social media: Banjo, the AI startup that believes its software can detect and surface crimes and other activities in real-time from all kinds of data feeds, also scraped …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"Pink Unicorn Labs’ apps were removed from the Google Play Store in 2016"

Which still means that they got there in the first place. Google's security needs to stop being reactive and start being proactive. Yes, that means that they should test apps before granting them a place in the Store. Yes, it will cost money. Google has the money. It can do it.

2. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Pint

Them bones, them bones, them... dry bones

This is most impressive. Given that ten years ago, state of the art OCR on English printed script was still throwing 1% or so errors, it's amazing - in particular the non-trivial task of identifying the text/ideogram regions. Colour me impressed, and treat the authors to one of these -->

Though I do wonder whether there is a risk of the AI occasionally interpreting images to whatever the Middle Kingdom equivalent of seeing Jesus in the Marmite is...

1. Tom 7

Re: Them bones, them bones, them... dry bones

The characters are easier to OCR than English printed script as they tend to contain a lot more information. OCR and AI together can come pretty close to 100% on English script

3. lglethal Silver badge
    Go

Banjo's action - illegal?

I'm just curious if Banjo's actions are actually legal or would constitute fraud.

If I've understood it correctly, they've offered a program (through Pink Unicorn Labs) that then collects the logins and gives them to Banjo in order to allow Banjo to scan all of their social media details, locations, etc.

How is that different to a locksmith making a copy of a key he's been legally given to duplicate and then handing an extra duplicate to an acquaintance to break in and rummage through all of the victims stuff?

I'm personally not seeing a lot of difference here, except that it happened on a computer, so the police probably wont be interested...

1. Chris G

Re: Banjo's action - illegal?

My bicycle, when I am out on it, is in full public view, anyone can see it.

However, if someone takes it and stores it, at minimum they are going to get a slap upside the head.

4. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Meanwhile, in a Roundup of Other News .....

“We announce the release of TensorFlow Quantum (TFQ), an open-source library for the rapid prototyping of quantum ML models,” the Chocolate Factory said this week. “TFQ provides the tools necessary for bringing the quantum computing and machine learning research communities together to control and model natural or artificial quantum systems.”

Is anyone else not seeing a lot of difference there, except for the fact it be so fantastically late* to the Great Game for Greater IntelAIgent Gamers, whenever compared and realised as being far too much like a clone and drone of Command and Control of Creative CyberSpace, Computers and Communications [C42] with AI@ITsWork in Systemic Control of Quantum Communications.

* Well, 5years 7months is surely an absolute age to be trying to catch up on and lead in the field with the rapid prototyping of quantum ML models, is it not, for El Regers were personally informed of the ability/facility/utility surrounding them around about then in a post ... Meanwhile, Down Deep in the Dotcom Lair Sunday 24th August 2014 11:05 GMT .......... https://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/all/2014/08/23/internet_economy_needs_infinite_supply_of_idiots/#c_2279416

Oh! ..... and what is the difference identifying it as a natural or artificial quantum systems?

And who would have a'thunk it ...... The Volkswagen Group at the forefront of AI and ML Command and Control. Bravo, Porsche SE. Vorsprung durch AI TechnICQ in Deed indeed and so beautifully stealthy too.

5. Semper Phoenix
    WTF?

"EDM music"?

Really? Electronic Dance Music music.... *smh* :(

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like