back to article Quick, show this article to the boss, before they ask you to spin your own crisis comms Power App in 2 days

As millions of businesses adopt hasty remote-working policies, Microsoft has posted a "Crisis communications" solution for its Power Apps platform – the idea being that with just a few (hundred) steps, users will be able to show their whereabouts, request help and more. At a time of international crisis, companies like …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

I see MS learned a lot from open source

The install steps and its complexity are the average ones for open source stuff...

1. Robert Grant

Re: I see MS learned a lot from open source

As in brew install <appname> or apt-get install <appname>? If it's that easy maybe I will try it!

1. katrinab Silver badge
        Meh

Re: I see MS learned a lot from open source

If for example you want to deploy NextCloud, that’s only the first step. Still a LOT easier than deploying Sharepoint though.

2. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

JOINT Remote Control Leverage of Microsoft Kernel Assets.

An Exploitative Vulnerability in Executive Office BIOSystems

If you authorise to share with Microsoft a really great idea for a virtual enterprise which leads in Beta AI Futures with a Surfeit of Derivative Augmented Virtual Realities Readily Available for Commanding Control Applications and Breaking News Presentations, what's the bet Microsoft simply buys it in order to hone control and tone command for profitable tenure ...... amongst all the others things being made more than just ready there ..... rather than there being any thought of employment of the Embrace to Extend then Extinguish Meme ...... which be the Corporate Myth of a Yore over Yonder.

Let us see what can now happen, as El Reg bags first edition rights to that sharing of a really great idea for a virtual enterprise which leads with a Microsoft Power App for Future Rich Clients and Customer Genii alike. And it can so easily be for you too.

Now that is Real Agile and Virtually True. Anyone want to bet against it being Realised a Strange AI Source Casting Alternate Views for IT and Media to Present and Show to Other Worlds in Foreign Spaces with Alien Places ....... such as may be those relatively new and wonderfully novel Live Operational Virtual Environments you're being shielded from and criminally denied?

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: JOINT Remote Control Leverage of Microsoft Kernel Assets.

In the particular and peculiar case of the info and intel shared for JOINT Remote Control Leverage of Microsoft Kernel Assets in "JOINT Remote Control Leverage of Microsoft Kernel Assets. An Exploitative Vulnerability in Executive Office BIOSystems" ...... Is silent dissent [as in an anonymous and/or robotic downvote] akin to a certain mute capitulation in a bitter sweet denial of easily proven proveable facts?

Such makes one a suitable anonymous case for further deeper therapy treatments as the reality unfolds itself around one and before everyone.

The Future is Inevitable .... and doesn't Wait to Service and Server the Past to the Present. Surely that is Perfectly Understandable and Most Logical to Both the Mad and the Bad and the Rad and the Seriously Sane ‽ .

Wow ...... so what have we here now then ? The deathly hush which accompanies all heavenly rushes?

Does the undeniability of the veracity of JOINT Remote Control Leverage of Microsoft Kernel Assets. An Exploitative Vulnerability in Executive Office BIOSystems take one's breath away and test one's cunning neurolinguistic programming processes with other worldly challenges? :-)

Save yourself several fortune and don't be fooled and tooled up to bet against IT. Caveat Emptor. Fancy Bears in All Connected Neighbour Hoods.

2. Trixr

Dear downvoters, please click on the profile link for the OP and enjoy the wonders that await you.

1. ArrZarr Silver badge

I've gotten better at realising when posts were created by amfm1. Now it's just a few words before I get bunny ears from seeing the word salad and realise something is off...

3. W.S.Gosset

MS Excel has an internal competitor?

> Power Apps is Microsoft's platform for no-code application development, intended to empower users to come up with solutions without the need to trouble the IT department.

Errr.... that's been MS Excel for 35 years.

With ENORMOUS success.

(e.g., you would be staggered to learn how much the wholesale banking+finance sector relies on Excel behind the scenes, to get around the shortcomings of their IT).

1. Warm Braw

Re: MS Excel has an internal competitor?

you would be staggered to learn how much the wholesale banking+finance sector relies on Excel

More likely, horrified.

1. jglathe

That, too.

2. JHC_97

actually you'd be surprised how much banking IT support and development have to jump through hoops to support quants who don't understand the tech which governs trading.

MS Excel has an internal competitor ...... PEBKAC

actually you'd be surprised how much banking IT support and development have to jump through hoops to support quants who don't understand the tech which governs trading. ... JHC_97

Bigger fool them for being so compliant and ignorantly naive .... for does anyone actually think quants care about anything just as long as they govern trading ..... although that appears to be failing spectacularly of late if obscene profit and maintenance of a exclusive executive status quo is their primary goal.

2. W.S.Gosset

1/ Perspective point: those quants generate ~50% of most banks' P&L. Despite being apparently 1-2% of the bank. If they drained 50% of your global resources, the bank'd be quite happy with that: break-even point.

2/ I've been both sides of the inside/outside fence in several countries Ties 1-3 banks, and as both developer and manager. e.g. I put together the world's first enterprise-ready credit derivatives trading AND structuring platform, and I put together a way to plug Excel directly into (most) trading systems AND use it directly as the pricing/analytic engine (with no coding: the s/sheet model becomes the code). And I'm afraid that the bank staff nearly always had a towering sense of how to fiddle around and waste time, and serious antagonism to just nailing what the business needs. Factor in a buying process that routinely had them locking in platforms that didn't fit well. And so re the quants: "the tech which governs them" is almost guaranteed to be regarded by them as irritation context rather than something to take on board.

1. W.S.Gosset

^Ties^Tiers

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Wait a minute

"you probably do not want every employee to be able to check out the location coordinates of everyone else"

I'm all for privacy, but your desk location in a company is no more private than your phone or email in the company. Anyone may need to talk to you and, if they have to phone Helpdesk to get a special permission slip to get your location, then that company is not lasting long.

You absolutely want to keep that information secret from the outside world. Having random customers phoning anybody in the company because they think they have a problem is the best way to keep your employees from doing actual work.

But keeping your location details secret inside the company ? That is not only useless, it is counter-productive.

No, the kind of details you want to keep secret inside the company is HR info, number of sick days, chances of promotion and so on. That is something you can make an app out of, and you will want to keep that secret.

1. Stuart Moore
      Facepalm

Re: Wait a minute

But if the entire point is to facilitate people having to work from home, then the location is not necessary something that should be shared so widly

1. katrinab Silver badge

Location could be “home” surely without specifying where that is?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Location coordinates" would be GPS based I assume?

5. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Coat

<sigh> Another decade...

Another crop of fools who think because a bunch of apps are nominally written by MS, they should, somehow, seamlessly work together.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

That is all.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: <sigh> Another decade...

Hey I'm no Microsoft apologist but their API standard and integration in Flow is probably one of the best out there as an API standard.

If only they hadn't borked it all by

1)changing their licensing criteria which means it requires a premium (or 'super' premium) license to do most useful things - and you can't risk using something that isn't premium because next month it will be

and 2) requiring a user ownership of the flows and connectors rather than (legally) allowing a service connection to control the flows and connectors and results. If a user creates a company-wide flow that spits out data all over the place then it is bound somewhat to that user and if they change their password or leave the company all hell breaks loose. If you run it as a templete based upon current user then you can go down a route of permissions nightmare. A service user would be ideal but licencing Office365 doesn't allow it.

6. teknopaul

Sounds to me like it didnt take very long to build a not very useful app. Better off getting familiar with a proper coding environment.

Once you are familiar with any dev framework and have a bit of example code at hand building simple apps is fast.

I find such guided dev tools make it easy to do easy things and hard to do anything else.

Its amazing what you can achieve with a shell script, (if you arnt stuck on Windows)

7. TeeCee Gold badge
    Mushroom

There's an app for that?

citizen developers

There's garlic, holy water and a stake for that.

1. MJB7

Re: There's an app for that?

The addition of some silver to that list is traditional, and of course your icon (from orbit)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like