back to article Android users, if you could pause your COVID-19 panic buying for one minute to install these critical security fixes, that would be great

Google has emitted its latest monthly batch of Android security fixes, addressing a total of 70 CVE-listed vulnerabilities. The March update includes 17 patches for flaws described as critical remote code execution holes, though only one is actually documented due to the other 16 residing in closed-source Qualcomm components …

1. IGotOut Silver badge

Not at all worried.

"and can spy on you and mess with applications without you realizing what's going on."

That's just Googles binary blob isn't it?

2. ThatOne Silver badge
    Unhappy

"Android users, if you could [snip] install these critical security fixes, that would be great"

Here, fixed the title for you...

1. ThatOne Silver badge
      WTF?

4 downvotes? Lacking more/better explanation I assume the downvoters say everything is perfect in the land of Android and Android users get all the patches they deserve. On second thought, you might be right.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Yes, the Android ecosystem patch mechanism is well and truly broken, and this is at least as much Google's fault as anyone else's. AOSP aside, Google is forcing various conditions on Android device vendors to include Google crap; they could certainly force them to do a better job of distributing updates.

Though having said that, getting patches isn't all roses either. I finally have a phone that receives regular updates, and each one either breaks existing functionality (fortunately, generally something I don't care about, though a recent one removed the global disable-sync option) or adds some new horrible annoyance.

After I installed the one before this latest, the phone started pestering me periodically to enable VoLTE, despite the fact that 1) I don't fucking want it, and 2) it can't be enabled anyway, because I'm in a microcell that doesn't support it. A bit of online research turned up hundreds of complaints about this behavior over the past few years. This sort of thing makes me want to find the person who made the decision to add this irritant and commit a few acts of violence.

This sort of thing is one reason I refuse to buy new phones; the manufacturers haven't earned that kind of money from me.

3. eldakka
    Coat

Android users, if you could pause your COVID-19 panic buying for one minute to install these critical security fixes, that would be great

Can't, no time. Must find more bogrolls!

1. katrinab Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

What do you plan to do with all this toilet paper? Please explain, I'm confused.

1. Korev Silver badge
        Coat

Wipe their phones I imagine

2. eldakka
        Trollface

What do you plan to do with all this toilet paper? Please explain, I'm confused.

Paper mache scarecrows to keep people away from my house so I don't get infected!

3. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

After the looming apocalypse they'll be worth their weight in gold!

(That is, not very much, and only to people who already have their basic needs satisfied.)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Shortages in my local big Sainsburys... skinless chicken fillets, avocadoes, large bottles (4L? 5L?) of olive oil, luxury toilet rolls... but plenty of recycled bog roll

4. JakeMS
    Thumb Up

Another option

"Other Android owners will have to rely on their device vendor or carrier to test and release the fixes, a process that can take days or months or never."

Or, install custom firmware that includes the fixes. Not always the easiest option, but it'll do the trick. Everyone seems to forget you can do this.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: Another option

Planet Gemini and Cosmo are MediaTek based. Mine is Sailfish though, not Android so I suspect it’s safe because no one can be bothered.

1. Crypto Monad Silver badge

My (Android-running) Gemini hasn't received any update since "security patch level 5 December 2018".

I'm not expecting they will do anything this time - and not buying PlanetCom again.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Sailfish had a recent update Nuuksio, 3.2.1.20. I think I've had four since it became available as V3 to run Gemini exclusively.

I love Sailfish!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Please give me a reliable source from where I can install custom firmware for my Galaxy J1 (SM-J100F). Thanks in advance, I've been looking for it for ages and had given up hope but you have restored my faith.

5. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Unhappy

Wider than that

The lack of updates (mostly due to planned obsolescense by makers) to billions of Android phones made the BBC Radio news this morning.

Then you have Samsung saying that their latest phones will only get two versions worth of updates really leaves me with a lot of confidence in the androis platform (NOT)

https://9to5google.com/2020/03/03/samsung-galaxy-s20-android-updates/

Talk about throwing good money down the toilet. sigh.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wider than that

Two Android versions worth of upgrades isn't bad, at least in part because the mandatory hardware requirements are upped for each version. Presumably large manufacturers are given information about this by Google when they design phones, but I doubt even Google knows what the requirements will be three versions ahead because by then there might be some game-changing new doohickey that will be a must-have for all phones.

1. katrinab Silver badge
        Gimp

My iPhohne 6+ got 5 versions worth of iOS updates, and it is still getting security updates.

2. NoKangaroosInAustria

You could always explore the Android One route.

The incredibly bad security update policies of my previous Huawei and Samsung mobes finally convinced me to look around for more secure alternatives. I stumbled upon Googles Android One program and went with a Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite. Bought the phone last summer which according to its build number was produced in 2018. I have been receiving regular/quasi monthly security updates ever since - with the occasional slight delay.

My current Security Patch Status is dated 01.01.2020 - thats a far cry from what i was used to with Huawei and still miles away from my Samsung.

1. nagyeger

Very happy with my motorola 1 so far, and hopefully they'll still allow unlocking when the support

runs out so I can swap to lineage or whatever.

6. Headley_Grange Silver badge

Headline

At first glance I thought the headline said "Andrex users, if you could pause your COVID-19 panic buying for one minute...'

7. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Sad Sammy

No updates for unlocked Samsung phones again. Samsung says carriers block the updates while carriers say Samsung is talking nonsense.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Sad Sammy

My unlocked, formerly AT&T-branded Galaxy S6 gets updates. I'm on an MVNO that operates over the AT&T network.

1. FrogsAndChips Silver badge

Re: Sad Sammy

Are you sure of that? I've also got an S6, latest update I received was in June 2018. Latest available firmware on Sam Mobile is from Sep 2018. The model is not even listed in the Security updates schedule page.

It's a corporate mobile on Vodafone UK, so I can't unlock or root it to install the latest firmware.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Android phone makers...

if I could install these Android OS updates to allow critical security fixes, that would be great. What's that you're saying? Oh, the sound of silence... yeah, that's what I thought.

9. mark l 2 Silver badge

Google should use their vast influence to tell manufactures they need to offer security updates for 3 years on all Google certified devices they sell with Gapps installed, you could argue this might make the device makers consider other OS but we have already seen how Huawei is struggling to shift its not Gapps Android devices outside of China, so i doubt they would be willing to move off Android onto other OS to save a bit of money on not having to supply security updates.

10. Korev Silver badge

The CVE-2020-0069 elevation-of-privilege hole can be exploited by a rogue installed app to inject a rootkit into the firmware of device, which could be a Amazon Fire tablet or gear from Motorola, Sony, Xiaomi, and others.

Checks recentish Android phone (Moto G6 Plus): the last update was January 2020...

I realise that is better than many rival phones.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like