back to article Turnover down, losses widen and shares crash: So, business as usual at Capita

In year two of its supposed three-year turnaround plan, Capita shares took a dive today after it posted a larger than expected losses for calendar '19. The company is deepening its restructuring and the process will both cost more and take longer than expected, it said. Revenues and operating profits were down four per cent …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Devil

"our plan is the right one and remains unchanged"

THIS ! IS ! SPARTAAA !

2. Allonymous Coward

Couldn't happen to a nicer company

I say that every year when Capita reports problems, but it's worth repeating.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Couldn't happen to a nicer company

And with the potential loss of their TV Licensing contract in years to come that will be another hit for them. The public will no longer have to put up with the 6 weekly threatening letters trying to extort money out of them for a service they neither want nor use, nor will council estates be haunted by their middle aged overweight thugs preying on single mums, their statistically proven choice of victim. Needless to say, I revel in every hit Capita takes.

2. NeilPost

Re: Couldn't happen to a nicer company

They are going the same way as Carillon.

... and Fucking good.

Just have to hope Fujitsu don’t pick the work up.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wonder how they will blame corona for this.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They did.

5. DJV Silver badge

"Looking forward Capita expects modest organic growth for the year ahead"

Makes me wonder if that prediction came from Gartner - if so, we may as well dig a hole and bury Crapita now!

1. Dolvaran

'Modest organic growth'.

So a reasonable amount of mould growing then.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Crapita

Say no more.

7. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Happy

And just as I read that, the sun came out

Such a lovely day for good news like this.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Email to employees from Jon.

Colleagues,

I’m writing to you about yesterday’s full-year results announcement and the impact we have seen on our share price.

I’ve received messages from some of you about what the movement in our share price means for Capita, for the work we’re all doing, and for you personally.

There have also been questions on some of the specific decisions we have had to make as we transform our business.

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to contact me and post questions.

I understand it can be worrying to see the fall in our share price.

As I’ve said before, transforming a business of our scale and complexity isn’t easy. There’s more to do than we initially thought in 2018 when we set out on this journey and we have now said our transformation is going to be harder and cost a bit more than we originally anticipated.

We’ve had to take difficult decisions, and there will be more to come, in order to build the company that we want to be.

One of those decisions was, against tight budgets, to focus on paying the minimum of the Real Living Wage to everyone we employ in the UK, rather than providing a company-wide pay rise.

We have also just communicated to senior managers (which includes me) that, given the nature of our 2019 results, the STIP and local bonus plans they’re in will not be paying out this year.

I know this comes against a backdrop of everyone working incredibly hard to complete our transformation.

In the future, we want to be able to give everyone a pay rise and make our benefits more generous. But we need our business to grow to be able to afford to do this.

When it comes to the size of the share price movement, there are a number of factors that affect this. A contributing factor is a volatile trading market, particularly with the effects on the market of the global coronavirus outbreak.

Although we continued to perform in line with expectations in general, our share price was also affected by our updating our financial guidance for 2020 and the fact that we now expect to generate less cash this year than we had thought.

We have had many supportive messages from our clients who recognise the progress we’re making.

I am in no doubt that Capita is in a stronger position than it was a year ago and that we are making good progress with our transformation. That is all down to your hard work, dedication and commitment.

Thank you

Jon

9. PAULPRY

Capita have been useless for years and nothing seems to ever improve there. I worked for Capita and the useless managers I had are still there. They have never worked anywhere else and so have been marinated in a toxic culture for years. The HR function there was hopeless, they had a ludicrously complicated group structure, the hiring process was daft and they treated their staff poorly. The latest poor results and excuses show that the efforts to reform the company are doomed.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Couldn't happen to a nicer company - I've said it before and I've worked for them - a complete shower of absolute charlatans!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like