back to article You'll get your money – when this bank has upgraded Windows 7... or bought extended support

ATM customers have been treated to that most special of sights, a refusal to dispense cash unless Windows 7 gets the update goodness it craves. Normally when this hack visits a cashpoint, the cheery screen offers all manner of exciting options and amounts to withdraw. Alas, selecting one of the more impressive numbers results …

1. Korev Silver badge
    Coat

I'm banking on some good puns for this one...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'd say there are a wealth of related puns, but perhaps I should withdraw that statement.

1. Rameses Niblick the Third Kerplunk Kerplunk Whoops Where's My Thribble?

It's about time we had some decent puns in the comments...

I've been getting withdrawal symptoms...

If people could form an orderly queue, you can deposit them here.

I'll cheque them for you.

2. The Nazz

Good luck getting any interest from the banks.

1. Chris G

I bet he's not aloan in getting nothing from Braclays Bonk.

1. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

No Windosh at all?

1. EVP

I’m afraid no - your account is currently locked out.

3. Adam 1

I'm normally up for a pin, but can't think of any atm.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Windows

So, does this take us one step closer?

To MS' dream of just being able to siphon money out of your bank account, and into theirs?

3. JoeCool Bronze badge

Do I have this right ...

A MS marketing message disguised as a security alert has pre-empted the secure banking app from running on the ATM ?

Almost sounds like a reason to sue their a$$e$.

1. Wellyboot Silver badge

Re: Do I have this right ...

Yes Joe, I think you do.

Deliberate denial of service? With no regards for the function that the computer was being used.

How many safety critical systems still use win-7?

1. Remy Redert

None. The EULA prohibits it.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

One of our diagnostic systems threw this up mid ECU reprogramming last week, chuffed I was not.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Look at it from the other side, MS is protecting you from using a system from a not secure bank which is too scroogey to update its systems.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The dreaded bling screen of death.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meanwhile the bank is complaining that the customers should update because Windows 7 is no longer save and running it any longer will bring all kinds of misfortune.

1. DJV Silver badge

I "updated" from Barclays many years ago after some (typically) piss poor service from them. Wouldn't touch them (or TSB. for that matter) with a barge pole nowadays.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Are there any banks within bargepole reach these days?

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Bank of Matress.

2. Stuart Castle Silver badge

A few years ago, a friend of mine (who, before he left the country was a Barclay's customer pretty much from birth) spent about 40 minutes bitching about the absolutely crap service he received from them. A few minutes later, he asked why I didn't join them as a customer.. I pointed out that apart from the fact I was actually very happy at the Abbey National (as it was then), as I had been with them since I was a kid, and never had any real problems with them (still haven't now, apart from going overdrawn from time to time), he had just spent 40 minutes telling me how crap Barclays were.

6. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Just a question

If the central OS is on the fritz, because of non-renewed support licensing, and given that this is a bank we're talking about, shouldn't the proper response be a pickax to the screen ?

After all, once the screen is done in, and given that the camera depends on the OS and is, therefor, out of order, that might incite the bank to some effort in getting its shit together again, right ?

I won't forget that these are the people who were happy to deal in the tainted sub-primes and then got paid for their troubles when the whole thing tanked.

Fuck them.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Just a question

Acctualy no they didn't they went cap in hand to Dubai and got finned for doing so cant have them not taking goverment money now can we.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "they went cap in hand to Dubai"

Unless I'm sadly mistaken, I think you;ll find that the overseas money which kept Barclays afloat in 2008 (when many around were sinking) came via connections in Qatar (not Dubai).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51673470

2. Phil Kingston

Re: Just a question

Reminds me of the guy who had repeated issues with his local ATM so duct-taped a fish to it in order to make a technician attend. Less destruction, same result.

7. Marty McFly Silver badge
    Facepalm

Stupid IT team??

Either one of two things....

This screen is part of a Windows update. Assuming the IT team is managing updates and doing a quality check on them first, why did this get pushed out?

Or, is this ATM connected to the open Internet and simply pulling down updates itself? Seems like a prime Internet target for a cash payout.

Either way stupid IT.

1. NeilPost

Re: Stupid IT team??

A CashPoint should be running Windows 7 Embedded (similar to retailers running PoSReady 7) flavour of Windows.

In both cases Extended support still good until Oct 2021 and you can go back to sleep for another year and then move the thing to Windows 10 IoT (New name for PoSReady and Embedded).

1. Evilgoat76

Re: Stupid IT team??

Not sure how this is delivered, our diagnostic kit is Embedded yet still threw this crap up with updates off.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've had a Windows XP cashpoint spontaneously reboot on me in the past couple of years

After entering PIN, after card had been returned, but before cash offered.

"The system" did refund my account without me having to hassle the bank about it.

Windows 7 is positively cutting-edge!

9. Conundrum1885

I once had

A N**W**T machine do this. Went to get the money out and NT4 crashed, rebooted and ATE MY FRELLING CARD!!!!!!

Never did get the money back and almost got stranded in the UK.

FFS!

Recently saw the XP logo over here on a machine undergoing some sort of maintenance.

1. 9Rune5
      Pirate

Re: I once had

I don't see the problem.

Just do like these guys did: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/oxfordshire/4781344.stm

Problem solved.

10. Danny 5

Still on win7!

I'm a little embarrassed, but my company laptop is still on windows 7! I work for a large IT company (Not going to name and shame, but my IP will probably give me away to el Reg) and they thought it would be a great idea to let people do their own migration in the interest of cutting cost. So loads of people still haven't migrated, including me. I have everything ready, I made my backups, I have the install files, just can't be arsed to do it. My manager even suggested doing it during the weekend, but I'm not going to migrate myself in my free time, no bloody way.

So now they've given me a deadline to migrate today. On standby, so I can't be offline for an extended period of time, but I guess that doesn't matter.

11. Roger Kynaston
    FAIL

Cash machine borkage

I suspect that Sainscrap are having issues with their cash machine network. The one near my work and home have been unavailable for the week. Also, the dodgy one outside the tube station rebooted with XP as others above have noted. Is it a plot by the merchant bankers to stop us using cash by shutting down the cash machine network?

</tin foil hat?>

12. aregross

A lot of projects right now to upgrade all ATMs to Win10... *DO NOT* ask me how I know.

-ATM Technician (not Engineer)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like