back to article Uber takes a downer as ride-sharing app service crashes

Ride sharing service, Uber, and its culinary tentacle Uber Eats, have fallen down and there does not appear to be a helpful driver to pick them up. The problem is global and, judging by the caterwauling on social media by those forced to stand in the rain, or prepare their own food, kicked off at around 3pm UK time. It …

1. Alistair

I forsee an up lyfting experience

for many uber cx's. It could also be a tarmac taxi'ing event.

Biggest benefit in this domicile is that the SO won't be able to order lunch for her 'team' at work and thus save me $80 or so in waffle fees.

1. katrinab Silver badge

Re: I forsee an up lyfting experience

Other takeaway delivery services exist.

I did some research into the cost of having a cup of coffee delivered to my door yesterday [1]

In the event that I was unable to operate my Nespresso, but able operate my smartphone and open my door, Über Eats would charge me £5.70, Deliveroo £5.83, and Just Eat £1.60 for my caffeine fix.

If you are in a country where things are priced in $, the competitors might have different names, but they will exist.

[1] because someone thought the idea was so crazy that nobody would possibly consider it

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

I would like an ecological impact study on ordering coffee delivered to my door.

I do think that there is not a single first-world problem that causes more global warming than that.

1. Korev Silver badge

>I do think that there is not a single first-world problem that causes more global warming than that.

We have a company here called Velogourmet. It's the same people who run the bicycle couriers. I assume their carbon footprint is pretty low.

2. monty75

Re: I forsee an up lyfting experience

Uber Eats is staggeringly expensive. They wanted to charge me £100 for a Chinese takeaway that costs £60 if I get off my arse and go collect it myself.

2. Blackwolf0108

Uber's cut?

Hey just an FYI #UBER takes a 48% cut from the drivers in Portland

1. simonlb Silver badge

Re: Uber's cut?

Portland, Oregon?

Portland, Maine?

Portland Bill?

Enquiring minds need to know.

1. Ken Shabby
        Alert

Re: Uber's cut?

Portland Cement?

3. GBE

Reduced losses for the day?

Since Uber consistently loses money, one wonders if a service outage improves profitability.

4. iron Silver badge

> Drivers are going to need some type of compensation for this

Hahahahahahahahaha.

He's obviously new.

5. Scott Broukell

Just a small thing you might say. . . . but

I really, really, wish that stock images, such as the one chosen to illustrate this article, which cast women in a negative light, just did not exist, ever! Ok, ok, I hear you say, it's just a very, very, small detail, but many such 'small' things as this repeatedly add up and multiply/amplify negative messaging and achieve absolutely nothing in terms of leveling the societal playing field twixt men and women. I feel sure it would probably take a lot longer to track down a comparable stock image depicting a 'befuddled' man in the same context! Imho we should be taking positive action to not reinforce such negativity in the first place. Negativity such as this seems to slip through so quietly, in the background, almost unconsciously and we all (men and women), just seem to accept it without questioning the multiplying effect it has, ("cos it's just like a bit of banter mate!"). Let's face it men have been in the societal 'driving seat' for ever, so we (men) are therefore best placed to take such positive action! Personally I want my daughters and sons to grow up in a better society than the one we continue with at the moment, after all, it is the fecking 21st bloomin' century! - (although we all seem to be doing our level best to drag all of humanity into a whole new Dark Age at the moment!). <grumpy rant over>

1. Claptrap314 Silver badge

Re: Just a small thing you might say. . . . but

If you think that casts women in a negative light, you need a better light--not them.

There is nothing negative about someone realizing that they lack the particular expertise to solve a problem and calling someone up to ask for help. In fact, it's an important part of how capitalism works (maybe that's your real issue?)

The fact that many skill sets have unequal mastery by sex is only bothersome to people with no understanding of evolutionary psychology or biology.

2. Imhotep

So, your choices are a man or a woman: would having a man in the picture instead cast that sex in a bad light? The fact that you see it as a negative only tells us about your own outlook.

3. Androgynous Cow Herd

Those that seek cause to be offended are seldom disappointed

4. Stuart Castle Silver badge

How does it cast women in a bad light? The fact you think that says a lot about you, IMO. The fact is a lot of people, of all genders, wouldn't have the first clue what to do if their car engine stopped working. Even people who are good mechanics can effectively be locked out of fixing modern engines by the increasing reliance on electronic and computerised management systems.

Not knowing how to fix a car isn't a negative thing either. I'm generally good at fixing things, but wouldn't have the first idea of how to diagnose and fix an engine, whether electronically managed or not. This isn't a bad thing. None of us are capable of knowing everything, and we don't always have the required aptitude to learn.

6. Sleep deprived
    Unhappy

So all those lonely motorists...

who wanted to share a ride will have to travel alone? Bummer!

7. what-where-when

Why does the press keep using this "ride sharing" tag for this, most disgusting, company's app? It's a "ride hailing" or "Taxi" app. "Ride sharing" suggests people are offering a lift on an existing journey they are making (for a little remuneration to cover petrol etc).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon