back to article Enable that MF-ing MFA: 1.2 million Azure Active Directory accounts compromised every month, reckons Microsoft

Microsoft reckons 0.5 per cent of Azure Active Directory accounts as used by Office 365 are compromised every month. The Window giant's director of identity security, Alex Weinert, and IT identity and access program manager Lee Walker revealed the figures at the RSA conference last month in San Francisco. "About a half of a …

1. Flak

enforce MFA - base level security policy

Can't agree more strongly.

At a previous company a user's corporate O365 account was compromised through the re-use of a password from the individual's private 'standard' list of passwords used for many purposes - one of these was hacked.

I asked the IT manager why MFA was not mandated - particularly as it is a free standard feature. There was no satisfactory response. It was fixed and there hasn't been a breach since.

1. Franco

Re: enforce MFA - base level security policy

We're trying to roll it out here. Myself and the other contractors and the IT managers are pushing hard for it, but user resistance is high. They're about to receive this article in their inboxes as a pre-emptive reponse to "why are you doing this?"

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

For some organizations, one of the issues is to give users the "multi-factor" devices.

You have to give them or hardware tokens, or a compatible smartphone, or trust user devices - and users have to trust you (my policy is no company stuff on my private phone, and the company does not have my mobile number also).

Hardware tokens and phone have a cost. Tokens may cost less, but people have to carry (all of) them around, and if they forget it they can't work. Phone can be expensive, and a company may not want to give a company phone to all users.

Sure, they strengthen security but not all companies and users are still ready to pay the price - some are instead trying some "single sign-on" method (often hacks with tools that fill password fields with auto-generated passwords - yet still saved with reversible encryption somewhere).

1. Robert Helpmann??
        Childcatcher

Hardware tokens and phone have a cost. Tokens may cost less, but people have to carry (all of) them around, and if they forget it they can't work. ... Sure, they strengthen security but not all companies and users are still ready to pay the price...

Most companies, when able to do a cost-benefits analysis with realist information concerning costs of implementation vs cost of breaches opt to pay the lesser of the two. This is typically cost of implementation.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

No, they look unluckily at the immediate recurring costs (tokens, phones and their bills, lost productivity of users locked out, applications modifications), versus a risk that could happen in the future and hard to quantify to them, especially those looking at IT as a nuisance someone ask them to use.

2. Robert Grant

Some providers (we use Auth0) also use HaveIBeenPwned and other common password reuse technologies to keep down the number of vulnerable passwords in the first place.

3. Claptrap314 Silver badge

How nice.

We care about security. And if you want the real stuff, you'll pay for premium service. It would be ashamed if some of your accounts got compromised, you know?

4. Claptrap314 Silver badge

Best security?

Is through an authenticator app? Hmm..."app". Oh, I know! That's one of those programs people find on the internet and install with root access to their "smart" phones all the time. So....I don't have one of those. Because the only company that sold ones that could be secured exited the retail space.

Yeah, if you want me using an app for your business, you need to supply me the "smart" phone. And by the way, it WILL be turned off most of the time, as I have an aversion to being recorded constantly.

1. MatthewSt

Re: Best security?

Or you could just use something like Bitwarden in the browser that will generate TOTP codes for you.

5. MatthewSt

Legacy Auth

We've just disabled legacy auth within the past week and had to spend 2 or 3 days updating some of our systems to use better methods. Not complaining at the end result though; a lot of our apps are now using certificates to auth instead of passwords, using application accounts that don't have log on rights!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is MS still using it's own best practices

If I remember correctly there appeared to be some, which at best would be called bullshit research, from MS. that there is no benefit to using password longer that 16 characters. Are they enforcing that on Azure?

7. JCitizen
    FAIL

Just playing whack-a-mole..

Microsoft has never vetted the users at Azure, and that is a bad problem. I had a friend who was attacked by bad actors on Azure, when it started out a few years ago; and so vigorously, that the only way to tell MS their problems was to snail mail them, and they acted like nothing happened. Getting on Azure if you have an IP to protect is like playing with dynamite. Proceed at your own risk!!

Especially if your company is a network security newbie; they will have your phone, system, email, and network thoroughly pwned before you know it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like