back to article Apple checks under the couch for $500m in spare change, offers it to make power-throttling gripes disappear

Apple – which banked $55bn profit in its 2019 fiscal year – is willing to pay up to $500m to settle US claims that the company secretly slowed certain iPhone models to preserve battery life, according to a proposed class action settlement. That's about 18x more than the i-thing maker agreed to pay a month ago to settle a …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Coat

"Apple – which banked $55bn profit in its 2019 fiscal year – is willing to pay up to $500m"

Don't you just love a country where it's the companies that decide how much they're going to pay ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Apple – which banked $55bn profit in its 2019 fiscal year – is willing to pay up to $500m"

This is a class action suit, so there is incentive on both sides to negotiate and come to a fast resolution. Apple, because it wants to put this behind them. The lawyers in charge of the class action, because fighting for a few years for a bit more money isn't worth it to them versus buying that bigger yacht NOW. The "clients" in the class action are going to get a pittance either way, like they always do.

2. mad_dr

$93m in “Reasonable Attorney Fees”

Apparently this is the figure that the lawyers are seeking from the kitty in this settlement. I’d really love to see more detail in terms of what work went into the case from the attorneys’ perspective. I’m sure it was a lot of work, but how can it NOT equate to some insane hourly rate up in the tens of thousands of dollars per hour? I’m not naïve enough to think that Joe Public could have taken on this case against Apple and won, but there must come a point where the attorney fees are capped at a sensible figure that corresponds to the amount of work done?

1. DJO Silver badge

Re: $93m in “Reasonable Attorney Fees”

In theory the rates are very high so they can afford to take speculative or pro bono work.

Another case where theory and reality are seldom (if ever) the same.

3. TVU Silver badge

"Apple checks under the couch for $500m in spare change, offers it to make power-throttling gripes disappear

Proposed settlement to end 66 class-action cases awaits judicial approval"

As Mr C of The Shamen said on the Ebeneezer Goode soundtrack, "Naughty naughty, very naughty!".

4. Skizz

Huh?

So making an engineering decision to make the product more reliable and last longer is now sue-able. So do people prefer the sudden shutdowns and loosing their work? Oh wait, no, that's another lawsuit isn't it. Can't win with lawyers can you?

Not sure which icon to use with this.

1. Mark Dempster

Re: Huh?

>So making an engineering decision to make the product more reliable and last longer is now sue-able. So do people prefer the sudden shutdowns and loosing their work? Oh wait, no, that's another lawsuit isn't it. Can't win with lawyers can you?<

But it doesn't do that, does it? It deliberately slows down a perfectly usable phone in order to make you consider upgrading to a newer model. If they were really worried about battery life on older phones they'd either have made this OS version an optional upgrade, with a warning about battery life, or they'd have put in a simple software switch to let you slow things down to preserve the battery if you wanted to.

1. Skizz

Well, the opening paragraph of the article does say:-

"that the company secretly slowed certain iPhone models to preserve battery life"

and I haven't seen anything about encouraging people to upgrade their phones, if anything, it appears to be discouraging that as the phone will last longer. The article then says:-

"offered a discounted battery replacement program"

which, again, seems to be the opposite of the idea of making people upgrade.

If anything, Apple should have been more open about it from the start that the throttling was being used to extend device life - but that's a UI issue more than anything (and good UI is hard!).

Have I missed a bit in the article?

2. Wayland

It's due to the fact that you can't change the battery. This is a compromise because the phone's life would be far too short. They are managing the phone's lifespan based on it's battery. Typical Apple, own you.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Hi, can I have one of your cars that can do 70 on the freeway?"

"Here, have a nice car that does 70 on the freeway, that will be $1000"...

[Next week]

"What, you just over the air restricted my car to 50... can I have an exchange or my money back?"

[crickets and tumbleweed]

5. Timto

Recommended Reading

I highly recommend John Grisham's "King of Torts"

It's about class action lawsuits and the "nothing but honest" lawyers that pursue them

6. johnnyblaze

Nice one

One of the clauses of this 'agreement' is that Apple don't have to actually admit they intentionally slowed down i-devices, which runs the risk of tarnishing their shiny brand image. Apple say they did it to protect batteries and extend life - but one of the side effects of not telling users this, is that many went out and bought a new iPhone. Perfect solution.... for Apple!

7. s. pam Silver badge
    FAIL

Non-USA customers can feck right off

If you're not in the USA, you don't get any dosh from the Apple Borkage it appears even though your mileage has suffered!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like