back to article Trashing privacy? That's our job! Facebook accuses analytics biz of harvesting people's info from software dev kit sold to app makers

Data-driven ad biz Facebook filed a lawsuit in a San Francisco federal court on Thursday against another info-snarfing company for allegedly breaking the social network's rules for gathering personal details. The California-based audience seller sued New Jersey-based OneAudience over allegations that it "improperly accessed …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

ROF not LMAO

The headline is only funny thing about this.

How so many people are so willing to give up so much personal information to so many companies who sell it to so many other companies is beyond me. It doesn't matter who wins the lawsuit because the data will still be there and still be sold. The only thing that will change is who will make more money off of it.

What needs to change is whether it can be collected and sold at all.

Fat chance of that happening.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Re: ROF not LMAO

Then lets's just hope that TBL's project actually comes too light.

https://solid.inrupt.com/

Long live the Pods.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

I just checked out the homepage of that site. When I read the words "It allows people to look at the same data with different apps at the same time", it doesn't make me feel that this is going to anything else than exacerbate the problem.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Pascal, the advantage lies on the fact that there is only one source of data, therefore it remains constant between applications, and secondly you are the only one that has the power of decision as to who or what gets to read your data...

And , since your can have as many pods as you please, you can create pods that reflect whatever you want to whatever application you want, ie multiple profiles...

The alternative, ie the current solution, is that Google and Facebook remain the custodians of your data..Google and Facebook make the decision as to how your profile looks... now that is a scary thought...

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Can I automatically create one pod per app, so each app can only see activity occurring in that one app?

1. Khaptain Silver badge

From what I have understood, yes you can. It would be a case of supplying the corresponding POD ID to the application question.

Each POD has it's own ID, so if you have multiple PODs it's your choice as to which you provide access to for each application.

2. Charles 9

No there isn't. The moment you have ONE source of data, you'll have MULTIPLE sources of data, because (as the movie copying wars demonstrated) there's no practical way to deter someone COPYING the data if they wish, and it's hard to copy-protect against the Eyeball Mk 1 and the Hand v1.0.

2. Winkypop Silver badge

Poacher hunter gamekeeper

Who can tell anymore?

3. Chris G

It's my ball

And you're not playing with it!

(Unless you pay me).

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The writing is on the wall...

If the future is private then how long before Facebook ceases to exist?

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Re: The writing is on the wall...

Mene, mene, tekel uparsin..

(Original writing on the wall - roughly translated "you have been weighed in the balance and been found wanting. Your kingdom has been taken away and given to another" - in this case the Persians. If only the same would hppen to Facebook (not th Persians though - although the thought of Iran owning Facebook does engender a wry smile at the thought of Trump hearing the news..)

5. Rich 2 Silver badge
    Devil

Facebook have a data abuse bounty program?

The irony is so extreme, I don't know where to begin!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Facebook have a data abuse bounty program?

Sure. All your data are belong to Zuck, and only him.

6. JohnFen

That's nice, but

It's good that Facebook is paying attention to abuses like this. It would be even better if Facebook paid at least as much attention to getting their own house in order.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like