back to article EU court tells prudish IP office to fack off for balking at 'fack ju' trademark application

The phrase "fack ju" can be registered as a trademark, according to an EU court which overruled a group of offended trademark lawyers. Despite the European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO) declaring years ago that the title of the film Fack ju Göhte (that's Goethe) was "vulgar" and in "bad taste," the European Court …

1. Khaptain Silver badge

"Fack ju"

To be honest I actually thought that the complaint would have been for another reason. As this phrase could easily be misread/translated two more that one possibility.

To each his own, so I won't make judgement but personally I wouldn't have chosen that phrase as the possibility for offending one group or another is quite obvious...

1. markr555

Oh, get a life!

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Can someone please have the kindness to explain what they believe I said wrong? For me it's not bleeding obvious..

2. localzuk Silver badge

Spending your life tiptoeing on eggshells because a phrase *may* offend one group or another is not realistic, nor sensible. Lots of things offend lots of people. The reality is, context and intent always matter - and this wasn't intended to be offensive in either of the ways you or the IP office took it to mean.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

"Spending your life tiptoeing on eggshells because a phrase *may* offend one group or another is not realistic, nor sensible."

Although I mostly agree with what you state, there are limits that even the Far Right, Far Left agree should not be surpassed. What would be the point in a full on slur pointed at anyone. It would be neither intelligent nor useful, some subtlety would be far more desirable..

2. A.P. Veening Silver badge

Frankly, I consider the expectation to tiptoe on eggshells for fear of offending extremely offensive in itself. If I offend, it is either extremely deliberate or because somebody has toes that need stepping on, usually both.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What, you mean the possibility of offending a group of one 19th century German philosopher was not enough, more could follow?!

2. Hans 1

Excuse my French

"Mozart fucker" - with a French accent

3. Vin

Fucking video!

You often read in the comments that “you owe me a new keyboard”

I’d never ACTUALLY spat out my coffee, personally, until just now.

Watching that Fucking video on my tablet.... when the presenter delivered his “here is the Fucking school” he caught me just so in he humour dept, I chuckled once but caught the coffee in my mouth, and then, it just sprayed out all over my tablet, my tshirt, and the floor.

So thanks for posting that Fucking video!

1. Huw D

Re: Fucking video!

You need to watch this then.

Grand Tour - Wank, Kissing, Petting, Fucking, Wedding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLXe2WTYngQ

1. JimmyPage Silver badge
        Thumb Up

Re: Grand Tour - Wank, Kissing, Petting, Fucking, Wedding

Officers in the Met used to refer to one of their divisions as the "Dirty division", because it covered Hampton, Feltham, and Staines ....

2. MiguelC Silver badge
      Angel

...priest is away... took a missionary position... snigger...

3. Aussie Doc
      Pint

Was a funny (to me) video but also seemed to read like a typical true-blue® Aussie news story if the censors didn't get all hot 'n' bothered.

Fuckin' oath, mate.

4. imanidiot Silver badge
    Facepalm

When non-natives attack

Sometimes, people who don't natively speak a language should just keep their trap shut on what is or is not acceptable speech...

1. Huw D

Re: When non-natives attack

Relevant

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2260231-racist-usernames

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"MACAFUCKER" (In the Night garden anyone?)

Great minds think alike! :)

1. Holtsmark Silver badge

Re: "MACAFUCKER" (In the Night garden anyone?)

Being up to date, I first misread the C for a G and found it to be quite proper.

Sad times..

6. The Nazz

King of Fuh

Brute Force's take on it : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NuaQetsDbk

You'd have to be a king-sized snowflake to get offended at that.

Additionally, does anyone here know (there''ll be someone) if the French phrase "Baisez-moi" can be used in both contexts as with English.

Fuck Me - a sexual request. and

Fuck me, (have you seen the size of that?)

1. FrogsAndChips Silver badge
      Childcatcher

Re: King of Fuh

Only the first context would apply for this sentence.

For the 2nd context, you would use the versatile expletive "Putain" (French for "whore"), which is the equivalent of fuck/fucking and can be used to express a wide range of emotions such as surprise, anger, contempt, annoyance...

2. Ken Shabby

Re: King of Fuh

Ask these guys for some hot noodles.

"Fu King Chinese Restaurant"

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What about the ancient Scottish martial art of Fu Kyu Tu?

8. horse of a different color
    Trollface

German comedy is no laughing matter!

9. Luke Worm

Languages

Languages are wonderful. If you want to open a safe deposit box in a bank in Sweden, you simply ask for a "bankfack". The clerk will ask if you want a big fack or a small fack.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Language Police

The Language Police seem to be ever present, ever angry, and ever laughable.

11. Blackjack Silver badge

You got email!

Remember when that got trademarked?

12. Chairman of the Bored

The King of Fa

We had a Failure Analysis branch, creatively named "FA" on org charts. A very well respected, highly competent, but slightly mischievous engineer took over the branch and titled himself "The King of Fa".

When you entered his office for a consult, he would ceremoniously don a purple robe and crown, raise a staff (fountain pen) in welcome, and say in a booming voice, "Welcome, stranger! Please tell me, what is your FA KING PROBLEM?"

13. RichardB

I'd have thought the movie FAKK 2 might have some prior claim.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like