back to article BOFH: Gosh, IPv5? Why didn't I think of that? Say, how do you like the new windows in here? Take a look. Closer...

BOFH logo telephone with devil's horns It's meeting time and the huddled masses of IT are collected in the open area. Heads turn as people try to understand why we're here and who called the meeting. The Boss looks blank. "I just called us all here today so we could observe a moment's silence for the passing of David, the …

1. Neal L

Ouch, I felt that. Just as I was relaxing back in my chair.

1. Frumious Bandersnatch

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8146638

(needs a bit of "temp trusted" to allow viewing)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just what I needed with my morning coffee.

3. Maverick

Optional

brilliant one Simon!

putting hairline fractures in the base of the Boss's chair in preparation for the world's first pneumatic suppository – so the Boss understands firsthand what a pain in the arse is

a new classic!

1. Augie
      Gimp

Re: Optional

That.. cost me a keyboard and now going to have to resist the urge to try this on someone

1. Chris King

I take it you'll be wanting an ergonomic keyboard and another monitor then ?

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

What, only one keyboard?

2. Outer mongolian custard monster from outer space (honest)

`a mate with an EDM machine about putting hairline fractures in the base of the Boss's chair `

Extra internets for knowing what a EDM is (they are quite specialized... I happen to own a wire which is why it caught me off guard) , but is it plunge or wire :D

1. Jedit Silver badge
        IT Angle

"Extra internets for knowing what a EDM is"

Electronic Dance Music?

(I don't know, but I have the sneaking suspicion that this may be another redundant M.)

1. WonkoTheSane
          Headmaster

Re: "Extra internets for knowing what a EDM is"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_discharge_machining

2. Andrew Moore

Re: "Extra internets for knowing what a EDM is"

Electronic Distance Measurement

3. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Real world - actually happened in a previous company. Caused an awful lot of new chairs to be bought in a hurry...

4. Fatman

<quote>the world's first pneumatic suppository – so the Boss understands firsthand what a pain in the arse is</quote>

I have a better suggestion for demonstrating what a pain in the ass is:

Conceal a 5 HP, 3600RPM motor under the seat of an executive chair with a 12inch diameter concrete drill bit coupled directly to the motor's shaft. Mount this on a pedal operated mechanism to force drill bit upward, through the seat. Convince your victim executive in need of education to take a seat. Fasten restraining straps. Fire up the motor, and finally demonstrate exactly what a PITA (he/she) is.

1. Kubla Cant

Very imaginative. But where does the donkey feature in this?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Very imaginative. But where does the donkey feature in this?"

As both a witness and an alibi.

Dress the donkey up in leather and lace and have it tied in the corner of the room. Do you think the company or family will want a lengthy investigation?

1. heyrick Silver badge
            Coffee/keyboard

Dress the donkey up in leather and lace

You'd have thought by now I'd have learned not to be taking tea and BOFH comments at the same time...

2. Trollslayer

Carefully?

2. hplasm
        Happy

5HP? How big an arsehole are we talking about here?

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
          Coat

How big an arsehole would you like to create?

5. IceC0ld

I got as far as this :-

The room gets suddenly more cramped as everyone takes a couple of steps away from the windows.

had to stop for a few minutes, trying to get me breath back ffs :o)

OMFG just got to :-

What I'm not so keen on are questions like "What's a domain controller?", "Why do we need a router?" and "Does IPv6 cost more than IPv4'?", "Couldn't we try some IPv5 and upgrade to 6 in next year's budget?" and "Have you looked for cheaper IP on eBay?"

I am howling here LOL

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
        Gimp

You know you've been reading too much BOFH when:

-As you read you are going 'uhu, yep, s'what I'd do, sounds reasonable, of course he would' etc.

It's a shame because it becomes a bit less laugh out loud funny and more like the minutes from last weeks H&S audit.

6. Anonymous Tribble

putting hairline fractures in the base of the Boss's chair in preparation for the world's first pneumatic suppository

Assuming the chair is made out of the usual aluminium alloy, just put some gallium (easily available on the usual online auction sites) inside the support. Then turn the heating up a bit. When it hits about 32°C the gallium will melt and slowly corrode the aluminium...

I've been tempted to use that on the wheels of some of the boy racer types who insist on racing around the local streets at midnight.

7. Ian Johnston Silver badge

It happened with a batch of gas-suspension chairs in the early 90s. A Thames Valley Police sergeant was one of the first to discover just how eye watering a pneumatically propelled suppository could be.

4. Ozan

Bastard!

Good one Simon

5. This post has been deleted by its author

1. hmv

Re: IPv5?

It may have been withdrawn too quickly for "5" to be included in IEN-119 (which mentions the "IP Version Number" assigned to ST).

6. chivo243 Silver badge

My chair recently started acting funny

I think I might request a new one... I'm not a manager, but better safe than sorry!

7. ridley

As connoisseur of all things BOFH that is one of the best.

ps someone owes me a new keyboard.

8. Aladdin Sane
    Coffee/keyboard

Is anybody else clenching now or is it just me?

1. Dr. G. Freeman

Trying not to in case my chair is wired, could tear something muscley

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Clenching? When I read that I was out of my chair like a rocket and am now hanging from the lampshade typing with my toes...

9. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

Ruthlessly, viciously, take-no-prisoners effective. Just the way I like my BoFH :D

10. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

>crack< >pop<

"Aaaaaagh"

>tilt<

"WAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaa"

>crash<

Can see that in my mind's eye...

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
      Holmes

Just as long as you're not feeling it in your brown eye!

11. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Coffee/keyboard

"the world's first pneumatic suppository"

Priceless! Absolutely top notch episode!

Loved the moment of (near) silence as well

12. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge
    Coffee/keyboard

Pneumatic suppository = new keyboard and fresh coffee.

13. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
    Devil

Brilliant idea!

I use an EDM at work and have a boss whos a right pain in the bottom.... now... all I need is a distraction... say an urgent meeting at a customer (happily their robot wrangler and myself go back a long way.....) and about 2 hours on the EDM weakening the mounting plate... 5 mins reassembly work and note to myself reminding me not to take phone calls in that office.

Note : EDM is electro-discharge machining uses an electrode(sometimes thin brass wire, sometimes a solid shaped piece of copper or graphte) to 'spark' away metal in a very precise way.

1. Sam not the Viking Silver badge

Re: Brilliant idea!

In the 1970's, there was a debate in the office over which of two managers was the heavier. It was a choice between tall and chubby or short and spherical. In time, the discussion turned real; a book was started, certainties questioned, money was involved.

We new graduates were charged with solving the problem and we decided that strain-gauging the centre-tubes of their chairs would get the problem determined.

Unfortunately, it was just another great idea that never ran to completion. The heavier took early retirement.

14. Roger Kynaston
    Mushroom

Can I propose that we skip IPv6 and implement IPv20

After all with IoT we are going to need more addresses and we don't want to be in the situation that IPv4 is in again.

That way we will be OK till the heat death of the universe.

First class BOFH though.

15. Chris G

Cheka-mate

The BOFH is at the top of his game, inspiring levels of fear comparable to Beria in the 1920s.

Aren't all Volvos full screen f concrete? I have pushed one belonging to a mate when it broke down, felt like trying to bump start a combined harvester.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
      Trollface

Re: Cheka-mate

Combined with what, concrete?

16. Psmo

Dude, Rule 34

preparation for the world's first pneumatic suppository

You sure about that?

No Google is not, in this case, your friend. Or even your pretend friend secretly stalking you.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

17. Whatsinitforme
    WTF?

Nice.....

Proper planning of events about to occur, and knowledge of how long it takes for all staff to gather in the proper meeting room in order to have everybody see the head of accounting's passing...

18. Ken 16 Silver badge
    Trollface

"There are no stupid questions..." as I always start my Q&A sessions

"...only stupid people"

1. A.P. Veening Silver badge

Re: "There are no stupid questions..." as I always start my Q&A sessions

"but there are inquisitive idiots".

1. Shooter

I had that Demotivator on my desk for several years.

2. timrowledge

Wrong. Wrongetty wrong with wrongknobs on.

Quora provides an existence proof that not only are there stupid questions but that there are a near infinite number of people sufficiently stupid that they are willing to ask them again and again and again ad infinitum.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just Passing

"I just called us all here today so we could observe a moment's silence for the passing of David, the Head of Accounting," I say as a shadow passes by the window heading downward, accompanied by a muffled scream.

Clever! Now to clean the coffee off my monitor...

1. Baldrickk

Re: Just Passing

It's all about the timing.

20. Terry 6 Silver badge

AH yes

"Does IPv6 cost more than IPv4'?", "Couldn't we try some IPv5 and upgrade to 6 in next year's budget?

If not exactly that I've come across that mixture of parsimony, ignorance and inability to let the experts do their jobs a good few times.

Never ends well, but the crass idiots who come up with this stuff will have moved on long before the chickens are roosting.

1. chivo243 Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: AH yes

IPv5 YES! aren't the even numbered versions supposed to be crap anyway?

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: AH yes

No. The even numbers are the good ones. It's the odd numbers that you have to avoid. Eventually when people cotton on to that fact, they stop numbering them and start naming them instead.

e.g. IPvGenerations, IPvFirstContact, IPvNemesis.

21. Nunyabiznes

I needed this

As Title says.

Long week dealing with HR, Payroll, Facilities(!), and yes, Accounting. It is almost as much fun fantasizing about actually doing a BOFH on some of them as it is fantasizing how I'm going to spend my lotto winnings.

Thanks once again Simon!

22. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Sometimes everything seems so RIGHT in the world.

Especially after reading the latest BOFH

23. Charlie Clark Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

I have a question

Raising my hand with a sense of trepidation, but who is conducting the interviews on the fourth floor?

1. Hot Diggity

Re: I have a question

My guess would be Gina.

24. Alistair
    Windows

Volvo

Having owned a 245D at one time, I can only imagine adding concrete would possibly have it sinking through most road surfaces that currently exist. It was dense enough to start with. However it would make a rather solid stopping surface.

25. Whyohwhy

EDM Machine

Surely the PFY would use one of those EDM Machines? https://phys.org/news/2020-02-universe.html

It's normal for Geeks to dream about changing fundamental universal symmetries to shaft their PHBs, right? Not that just me?

Also, if you lalk about the sparklies, the M already stands for Machining. So, ED Machine.

26. stiine Silver badge
    Pint

Classic!

See above.

27. TomPhan

No such thing as a stupid question

just questions asked by stupid people

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: No such thing as a stupid question

It's only a stupid question if the person could be reasonably be expected to know that. Most non IT personnel wouldn't know IP from UPS, and why should you expect them to? Most 'stupid' questions or 'stupid' people result from ignorance - which is curable if you bother. People have different talents and abilities & as a result different information sets - I would like to see any IT guy/gal trying to match Usain Bolt or Einstein, not that either would denigate you for not being able to keep up.

Lets face the BOFH and PFY are criminal scum, serial killers in IT - some times they as characters go far too far and it ceases to be funny.

1. Cyril

Now, who went and let an accountant in here?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yes, but no, since an IT manager would be expected to know IT terminology. But then, as an IT manager yourself you know you should know this stuff, right?

28. earl grey
    Pint

Thank you

Have one (or several).

29. IanTP
    Thumb Up

New equipment required!

Thank you, although you do owe me a new keyboard and monitor, due to 'issues' quite possibly the best BOFH yet :)

30. Blackjack Silver badge

Wait...

Who will approve the budget if the Boss is dead?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wait...

In business, there's always another boss.

Either go up a hierarchy level, or someone will do a horizontal land-grab to gain control of the budget.

2. skeptical i
      Devil

Re: Wait...

I'm fairly certain there's already an approval form, properly back-dated and with something closely approximating the ... late (such a shame) ... Boss's signature, on its way to the next link in the procurement food chain.

31. Aussie Doc
    Pint

Oh.

I noticed many of the folk seemed scared of "Windows" and wondered if there was another upgrade expected.

My bad.

32. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The only stupid question...

...is the one you don't know the answer to but are too afraid/embarressed/smartarsed to ask.

And if anyone tells you "Oh, *that's* a stupid question, *everyone* knows that!" you can point out that they are obviously wrong - and stupid - since *you* didn't know the answer.

Unless you keep asking "Are we there yet?". That's not a question, that is grounds for re-education with a high-voltage cattleprod...

33. devilsinthedetails

off topic - interesting

Just found this, though you may have to use a translation service if your Norwegian isn't up to scratch. Thought the name and functionality was amusing, though I might just be easily amused.

https://www.uio.no/tjenester/it/brukernavn-passord/bofh/index.html

1. Joe W Silver badge
      Pint

Re: off topic - interesting

UiO and then it is written in Nynorsk... must be a hoax ;-)

Have one of those (imported directly on my last flight) --->

34. HKmk23

The new layout designer should be the target

I hate the new layout, perhaps this episode will give someone at the Reg an idea of how to deal with him/her?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like