back to article Spider-eyed Lite version of Huawei flagship flies out before actual P40 launch event

There are still several weeks until Huawei formally announces its upcoming P40 and P40 Pro flagship smartphones. As a taste of what's to come, the embattled Chinese tech giant has quietly revealed the first device in the lineup: the P40 Lite. As the name implies, the P40 Lite (as was the case with the P30 Lite, and so on) is a …

1. andy 103

Target market

It's between Samsung and Apple if you're in the market for a high end phone. There are no competitors. Anyone else is just trying to fill a gap whether one exists or not.

Both Samsung and Apple have tried to do the "budget" version of a flagship model with limited success.

You'll always get someone saying they have an (insert-brand) and why buying it was the best decision they ever made. But it usually comes down to...price. More specifically a lower price than Samsung/Apple alternatives. Or for people who are clutching at straws...ooh mine has a 3.5mm jack.

There isn't really a market for mega expensive phones from companies who aren't Samsung or Apple. If we're being honest.

There's nothing particularly noteworthy or exciting about a P40 Lite, other than the fact it costs significantly less than an iPhone or Galaxy.

1. Rameses Niblick the Third Kerplunk Kerplunk Whoops Where's My Thribble?

Re: Target market

Speaking as the husband of a wife who bought a Samsung Galaxy S8 while I chose the Honor 9 at the same time, its not just price. The rebadged Huawei has generally lasted far better. The battery lasts way longer than the Samsung, it hardly ever crashes while the Glaaxy crashes fairly often, in fact the only thing I can really point to as having ever been better on the Samsung (noticeably anyway) is that the Sammy has a much better, more capable camera.

Can't speak for Apples though, although I'm fairly sure Huawei have never pushed an update to deliberately slow my phone down.

YMMV though.

1. andy 103

But the market isn't responding to that. That was really my point.

If you look at Samsung and Apple market share - particularly combined - every other manufacturer is tiny in comparison. If everyone thought the same as what you've said Samsung wouldn't be able to gain the market share they have.

There are two areas - cheap phones and expensive ones. Nobody is touching either of these manufacturers in the expensive end because peoples mentality is it's too big a gamble to pick anyone other than them (proven by market share). At the cheap end it's hard to convince people to buy an Honor when they know Samsungs reputation, albeit one they've created largely off the back of their higher end devices. You can get a Galaxy S8 for under £200 at which point a ~£150 Honor 9 isn't very attractive, to the average person.

The point being, if Huawei was offering anything noteworthy at either end they would have more than a 10% market share. These phones they've brought out won't increase that to any significant degree.

1. Shak

I'm not sure where you are getting your figures from, but IDC say that Huawei have a much bigger market share than you imply. Perhaps it's not cut into the "high/low" classes you mention though:

https://www.idc.com/promo/smartphone-market-share/vendor

Anecdotally though, I felt that the P30 and P30 Pro (as well as the P20 equivalents) got more than enough mindshare to be considered viable high end purchases. And looking around my own bubble, I see more Huaweis than Samsungs and Apples.

1. BillG
            Holmes

I'm not sure where you are getting your figures from, but IDC say that Huawei have a much bigger market share than you imply.

Much of Huawei's sales are in their captive market of China. A captive market is not as subject to competitive market forces as other suppliers.

In the USA Apple+Samsung = 80% of the market. In Europe that equation is 60%.

1. MiguelC Silver badge

According to statcounter, Huawei's European market share is currently above 18%, and has been quite stable in recent times

2. big_D Silver badge

Huawei is/was the number 2 smartphone maker, after Samsung, beating Apple. The last quarter has probably pushed Apple back into the number 2 position, due to the US embargo on Huawei.

2. LeahroyNake

Totally agree especially regarding the camera.

The camera on on Huawei 9 lite is crap even when compared to an old galaxy S7. The 10 lite is much better but still not as good as the ancient by comparison Samsung.

The only other downside is that my S7 is very water resistant, not sure the Huawei would survive a drop in a puddle but I don't tend to drop things that cost £180 very often.

1. Tom 38

The camera on on Huawei 9 lite is crap even when compared to an old galaxy S7. The 10 lite is much better but still not as good as the ancient by comparison Samsung.

P9 lite - Launched April 2016, $200

S7 - Launched March 2016, $670

Why are you talking about these old phones? This is about the P40 lite.

2. big_D Silver badge

Generally, over the last 2 years, the main reason to get the high end Huawei is that its camera is superior to Samsung, Apple and Google...

1. KevSilk

This.

I am the proud owner of a P30 Pro. It is simply the best phone i've ever had. The camera is ridiculous and the pictures that even as a quick snap are stunning. i can use it all day, including google maps navigation to and from work without being plugged in the car - it still has over 50% battery at the end of the day.

The 2 sim slots work pretty flawlessly as well, with the exception of android auto cant cope with dual sims at the moment.

i cant fault it.

2. Barry Rueger

Bonus selling point.

We bought Huawei phones specifically to piss off Donald Trump. The fact that they're really great phones is the bonus.

3. captain veg Silver badge

Google Play

Given that you can install the Googly bits on LineageOS, presumably you can do likewise on Huawei's system. I guess you'd need to root it, though.

https://wiki.lineageos.org/gapps.html

-A.

4. macjules

Camera Envy

I am going to wait for the iPhone 12sProMax. I really want a 600 megapixel camera with 8 lenses just in case I want to take blurry pictures of cute animals.

It’s a bit like razors: do we really need the latest Gillette 5x blade razors?

1. Alistair
      Windows

Re: Camera Envy

@macjules:

Kids bought me a good old fashioned safety razor for the last solstice fesitval gift giving chaos. No, no we don't need the $65 12 pack of 5blade cartridges. The $14 pack of 100 blades will do just fine thanks.

5. ovation1357

That's no phone...

... it's a tablet! Seriously 6.4"?

I've got a P10 Lite which despite getting quite old now is absolutely hands down the best Android I've ever owned. It cost me £180 about 2 years ago and at the time it was the only phone I could find that packed the kind of storage and spec that I wanted whilst not being too enormous.

I started with a Google Nexus One years ago, any have had a variety of phones from HTC, Samsung any Sony - All of them have had annoying problems and the damn Sony very suddenly died on me and I lost data that it had been silently failing to backup for a few weeks.

So far the Huawei hasn't missed a beat, save for me having dropped it and smashed the screen twice (It's still too big).

I'd jump at a P40 Lite if it were smaller but I already find the P10 Lite a bit too large to operate single-handed so bigger is not an option.

Nice to see that the 'Lite' models seem to be dropping back to a more sensible price point.

6. DrBed
    Gimp

...comes with Freebuds' 3 wireless earphones!

OMG, where should I plug 3rd?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like