back to article The Ghost of Windows 10 Past shrinks back as Microsoft's axeman tiptoes ever closer

A fresh set of usage figures has the notorious Windows 10 October 2018 Update withering on the Redmond vine as uptake of November's jumped-up patchfest climbs. There was good news today for pretty much everyone as Microsoft's disastrous 1809 update for Windows 10 saw its usage drop from 22 per cent in January to a mere 16.4 …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

With help from nVidia

The feature update to get past 1809 failed repeatedly on one of my systems - didn't appear to like sharing the EFI partition with GRUB. Eventually I was forced to do a manual reinstall of Windows to get up-to-date because the latest nVidia drivers refused to install on such an "old" version of Windows.

Let's hope that Microsoft have fixed such update issues in this release - not going to hold my breath though.

1. t0m5k1

Re: With help from nVidia

I use rEFInd and never had a single issue with this update or any for that matter.

Never did like Grub.

2. Baldrickk

Re: Manual reinstall of Windows to get up-to-date

I think I need to do that. Nothing to do with Nvidia as far as I can tell, just Windows borking itself.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
        Coat

Re: just Windows borking itself

Yeah, but ; it's a feature !

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Re: just Windows borking itself

Yeah, but ; it's a feature !

And a bug with seniority is a feature!

2. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge
    Holmes

90k PCs, 5k Windows Store apps, "a handy pointer"...

So... a tiny proportion of all PCs running Win10, with sample data entirely skewed toward those running a subset of Windows Store apps. That's some quality* surveying right there.

Like looking out the window and saying "I can see blue sky therefore it's sunny everywhere.".

The only thing "handy" about this report is if it's printed out and I've run out of toilet paper.

*For values of quality at or near useless.

1. johnnyblaze

Re: 90k PCs, 5k Windows Store apps, "a handy pointer"...

Most of these surveys are sponsored anyway, and the results can therefore be presented in any way which benefits the sponsor.

2. big_D Silver badge

Re: 90k PCs, 5k Windows Store apps, "a handy pointer"...

Yes. 1809 is probably around 50% of our machines. But they have the Store disabled by group policy.

3. Mike 137 Silver badge

"1809 update for Windows 10"

Update for Windows 10? I thought Windows 10 was an update - a continuous update for all eternity.

1. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

Re: "1809 update for Windows 10"

@Mike 137: "a continuous update for all eternity"

I can see W10 Morphing into Ѡ10 then just ∞

1. User McUser
        Big Brother

Or a boot stamping on a face forever...

2. hplasm
        Devil

"W10 Morphing into Ѡ10"

Arse 10? Sounds about right...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Windows stability fix

Turn their update service off. It's worked well for XP, Vista, and now Windows 7.

1. Halfmad

Re: Windows stability fix

If you do need to use Windows. The last thing you want is to never get updates as you'll be ever more vulnerable to actual malware, rather than just the malicious OS itself.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Halfmad - Re: Windows stability fix

Actually disabling automatic updates on my Windows 7 machines at home made my life so easy. Never had any problems with slurping nor the gently nudging into upgrading to Windows 10 (that close button that also worked as a yes, upgrade me). This also helped me to avoid the shenanigans associated with the final updates for the venerable platform.

All I had to do is keep an eye on critical vulnerabilities and install only the relevant patch if they were relevant to my configuration.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Windows stability fix

And can't be done for Windows 10 unless you have the Enterprise Version and has been covered by El Reg on numerous occasions. You can hold some stuff back but you'll find that "Microsoft knows best" is all over Windows 10.

5. Big_Boomer Silver badge

Microssoft, PLEASE stop fiddling with .NET

We cannot use 1903 and 1909 with our software as once again MS broke certain functionality when they included .NET 4.8 in 1903/1909. They have a history of doing this since the release of .NET 4.5.0. When are they finally going to get rid of .NET Framework and move to something a bit more stable from version to version? Or perhaps stop changing it with every Win10 version (or every other version)? Either way, pretty soon we may well have to start developing for Linux as MS are making it more and more difficult for us to keep up with their constant incessant fiddling with .NET. Either that or else stop with the stupidly short lifespan for each version on Win10. And NO Microsoft, we are not going to auto-upgrade because every time we do you f**k something else up that we end up having to fix/work around.

1. Erik4872

Re: Microssoft, PLEASE stop fiddling with .NET

Haven't you heard? .NET Framework is dead now -- they're doing everything on .NET Core now (the open source cross platform one.)

The actual .NET Framework might end up like IE 11 -- you'll get one last release that will see no feature updates ever, until they pull it and force your app onto Core.

6. -maniax-

"...according to figures released by ad-slinger AdDuplex"

I wonder how much of an effect ad-blocking has on the figures

7. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Ah, but can we get

Updates that bork pre-existing drivers just before their certificates expire, or at least drivers critical to log onto the system?

Again.

1. Paul Shirley

Re: Ah, but can we get

Still watching Win10 carefully for the inevitable day it replaces my 64bit TV tuner drivers with broken 32bit ones. Again.

An OS where it's less disruptive repairing malware than stopping it being infected or simply killing itself :(

8. Ckitis

Ghosts typically stay in America

You seem to be forgetting about Ghosts in general more likely to appear and stay in America where Microsoft is than anywhere else. The whole place appears constantly haunted in videos taken by witnesses of variant meta physical phenomena counteracting Physical and natural knowledge and conscious awareness. There must be many simultaneous Americans by watching themselves. Windows 10 has got nothing to do with it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like