back to article Dear makers of smart home things. Yeah, you with that bright idea of an IoT Candle. Here's an SDK from Amazon

This week, Amazon announced a software layer to help Internet-of-Things makers integrate Amazon Device SDKs with their IoT gear, further complicating the already confusing technical landscape of dubiously secured, privacy-challenged network-ready appliances. Amazon Common Software (ACS) for Devices is offered as a preview to …

1. big_D Silver badge

I still abide by...

I still abide by the rule "the 'S' in IoT stands for security and treat all IoT devices appropriately - i.e. they don't receive any power and are not joined to my network, well, with the one exception of a FireTV Stick, but that gets a bunch of special rules at the firewall, to help isolate it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Devil

Re: I still abide by...

I'm too busy to mess with my firewall for each device.

My simple solution is to avoid IoT products, even if it means I have to get up to turn the lights on and off. Besides, given my lifestyle, that counts as exercise.

1. big_D Silver badge

Re: I still abide by...

Me too. I want streaming video, so the FireTV Stick is an anomally. Everything else is good old, long lasting, dumb stuff.

Most of our light switches are 10 years old the rest 50 years old.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

An Amazon API?

All the better/easier/faster to send your data to Bezos and co then...

3. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Harmonisation of Circles of Hell

If having a unified standard helps connect anything and everything to my local server, such as a Raspberry Pi, then I am all in favour of it.

I don't have a problem using IoT to send temperature readings and what not directly to my server, my programs logging that data or even commanding other IoT things to do something. If that's not your cup of tea, then walk on by, I wouldn't force that upon you.

But anything which needs the cloud or wants to tunnel out through my router can fuck right off.

1. terrythetech

Re: Harmonisation of Circles of Hell

"But anything which needs the cloud or wants to tunnel out through my router can fuck right off."

I think you will find they all want to do that :(

1. JamesMcP

The Zwave/Zigbee don't. They don't speak IP.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And, as proved just a few months ago(*), when the clouds (de)parted and Best Buy's(sic) range of smart switches, security cameras and even a freezer went dumb... or is the case of the security cameras just stopped working

(*) https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/11/05/best_buy_iot/

4. JamesMcP

Zwave and Zigbee are not IOT

While they are often lumped into "IoT", the Z devices don't use IP or TCP so it's really hard for those Ts to be on the I. There are implementations of "Zigbee over IP" (aka dotdot on IP) and ZWave over IP, to date neither has seen any consumer adoption, which puts it right next to Thread, which AFAIK is only available on Nest/Google branded devices.

CHIP may change that for Zigbee as dotdot is expected to be part of CHIP. Dotdot is also going to run on top of Thread. At which point Thread is just a networking stack and ceases to be a full automation standard. It will also be useless as Thread devices without relays won't have any more battery life or range than BlueTooth.

The important parts of the Z protocols are the device profiles and the device enrollment. This is the "dotdot" component of Zigbee. It is what allows devices from different manufacturers to work without needing a custom driver/handler. Both of the Zs have fairly comprehensive arrays of profiles already. Both standards also allow manufacturers to add new commands, assuming they aren't just reinventing a wheel.

Part of the reason Zwave has a following is all Zwave devices are certified to follow the standard so for the most part, they are as interchangeable as USB mice.

Part of the reason Zwave hasn't "won" is that certification costs money so devices are more expensive.

Part of the reason Zigbee has a following is that certification is optional and anyone can make anything, which results in very cheap battery powered bits from China.

Pat of the reason Zigbee hasn't "won" is that there isn't just one Zigbee, there are multiple flavors, so it's entirely possible to buy Hue bulbs (Zigbee LightLink) that won't play nicely with your Xiaomi sensors (Zigbee HA).

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Today I Learned

tchotchke

My vocabulary has once again been expanded by the Reg.

6. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

IoT insurance risk SDK

"Alexa, set 6 month insurance rates to 15% of home value for everyone with an IoT candle, stove, or lawnmower."

7. wmertens

The real IoT devices

The real contenders are super-cheap Wi-Fi devices based on the ESP8266 chipset. You can have cerified $10 behind-the-wallswitch devices like the Shelly 1 that use a cloud service but can also instead talk to a local MQTT broker.

You can even flash an open source firmware (Tasmota) onto them.

No vendor lock-in, no royalties. I suppose Amazon could fork Tasmota so that it works with the AWS services discussed here.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like