back to article Xiaomi in the UK: Multi-eyed Mi Note 10 hits Blighty festooned with cameras and hefty battery life

Xiaomi's Mi Note 10 phablet – first introduced last November – has hit UK shores with the entry-level model retailing at £459. The phone is available from today at Xiaomi's online shopping portal. The Mi Note 10 is a weird beast focused on productivity and photography alike. The camera system packs Samsung's relatively new …

1. Mark Searle

"Chinese tat bazaar" - come on El Reg - Xiaomi is good kit!!

1. slime

Xiaomi kit certainly looks ok, I had a mi2 for a while and it was nice enough until I dropped it! Maybe the 'tat bazaar' was referring to the fairly out-there products on their web site such as metal suitcase, air purifier, electric scooter, light bulb, projector.

2. my cats breath smells like cat food

But does is the version of android as horribly bloated as previous versions of xiaomi kit?

1. doublelayer Silver badge

Almost certainly, as they make money off the advertising and preinstalled apps to help deal with the low purchase prices they often charge. Xiaomi devices are more likely to be supported by Lineage OS and other alternatives though, which has been a major point in Xiaomi's favor when I consider what device to buy.

1. lybad

Not entirely - you can turn off almost all of the ads in the OS and apps. On my Mi 8 I think I have a total of 5 apps that I put in a junk folder and hide them away, and some that are more visible, but not used. I personally don't think it's excessive.

2. Dr_N

Get the Mi A(x) models if you want vanilla Android One versions?

3. The Nazz

Will set you back £459

No. No it won't.

1. Humpty McNumpty

Re: Will set you back £459

No indeed, Xiaomi phones all retail for far less than the comedic prices they list on their UK shop even if you stick to genuine UK sellers. They still want £320 for the Poco F1 FFS.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

An extra £100 doubles your storage

in plain English: no micro-sd card slot? :)

1. ThatOne Silver badge
      Unhappy

Re: An extra £100 doubles your storage

> no micro-sd card slot

Indeed, and that's the bad point (especially since it does have a 3.5mm audio jack AFAIK). Knowing that any fixed memory will be already filled to the brim with bloatware and irremovable demos for stuff you'd never dream of using, that means no memory left for the user... A pity, because it looked good on paper (especially at this price range), but what use is a smartphone with a good camera without enough storage memory?

5. Ken 16 Silver badge
    Windows

Phablet?

I'm just curious what qualifies this as a phablet rather than a phone?

I agree the screen is big but so are those of pretty much all competitors that El Reg calls phones.

I would actually love if someone came out with a phone with 18:9 or 21:9 display ratio in the same form factor as my old Sony Xperia Ray - call it 53mm wide for about a 4.4 screen size.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like