back to article Huawei unfolds latest shot at the phone-tablet hybrid with reinforced hinge and reassuringly Xs-sive price

Huawei has lifted the lid on its latest pholdable – the Mate Xs. This is the follow-up to last year's coveted tablet hybrid, which was released in China late last year. While Samsung's Galaxy Z Flip represented a radical rethinking of the company's foldable strategy, the Mate Xs is only a modest tweak on the previous design, …

1. spold Silver badge

Ahhh...

The Huawei Termi-Mate-R... "You will soon be"X☠️

"zirconium-based liquid metal alloy"

Run! Run!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ahhh...

Original price $1250

+ removal of Google $1250.

A bit expensive.

As Google is moving British data to US servers beyond the writ of the GDPR - which I personally didn't vote for and don't want - I find myself in a quandary these days.

1. Falmor

Re: Ahhh...

Doesn't GDPR apply world wide? Its the UK that is removing itself from the countries that have GDPR.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Ahhh... for the 100th time

GDPR is enshrined in the DPA (2018) so leaving the EU makes no difference, really, is that so hard to understand!? No wonder you received the "remoaner" tag and how fitting as you're still re-moaning!

/rant

2. tygrus.au

Users paying for future repair upfront

Users are paying for 2x hardware. The likelihood of failure is so high they add the potential repair/replacement costs in the upfront price so it's still profitable after 2 years of potential warranty claims. Most premium phones sell with a 50% premium which is slowly reduced over the first 12 months.

3. HmYiss

All our bendable futures..

Hardly the stuff of Blade Runner, is it?

Here we are in 2020, grumbling about who has the latest and greatest in tragic hipster hinge tech.

1. sabroni Silver badge

Re: Here we are in 2020

pretending that a foldable screen isn't clever and could never be useful.

But those hipsters eh? One mention and you know the arguments won!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: All our bendable futures..

unhinged and derailed. Or was it deranged and unrailed? It's only Tuesday :(

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If only those pesky Chinese would stop stealing American technology and trade secrets I could get behind this.

Worse still, in this specific case they've stolen the idea and released to market several years in advance of the Americans even announcing it. Those swine!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Have you ever wondered why we don't see time travellers? Because someone in the US invented time travel but accidentally exported the technology to build time machines to China, and they went back in time and shot the US inventor before he could do it.

1. dajames

Have you ever wondered why we don't see time travellers? Because someone in the US invented time travel but ...

There's very nearly a Game about that ...

5. 89724102172714182892114I7551670349743096734346773478647892349863592355648544996312855148587659264921

All digital cameras are rubbish, get a proper film camera

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That has not been the case for some time, something I regret as I was rather proud of my D&P capability back in the day, and now my cameras and 6x7 enlarger are all gone along with the wet chemistry.

But, actually, as no doubt someone remarked to the Rev. Charles Dodgson when gelatine replaced collodion, that's progress.

1. 89724102172714182892114I7551670349743096734346773478647892349863592355648544996312855148587659264921

I favour Barnsley's .IFS format over any other because it deals well with features like hair, leaves, rocks, clouds etc. without smoothing them to hell. Film cameras are better at the present time.

6. Mage Silver badge
    Headmaster

Liquid Metal

No, it's "liquidmetal" a quite solid metal alloy that can be cast with more precision than traditional alloys to replace plastic moulded parts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquidmetal

vs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_metal

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Liquid Metal

"Although at high temperatures, plastic deformation occurs easily, almost none occurs at room temperature before the onset of catastrophic failure. This limits the material's applicability in reliability-critical applications, as the impending failure is not evident. The material is also susceptible to metal fatigue with crack growth. "

Just what you want in a hinge?

7. AIBailey
    Black Helicopters

"...Baolong modems, which supports ... 5G NSA"

Pre-backdoored? Just the way the Trump administration like it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I am not at all sure that his administration enjoys having to expose their backdoors to Trump, but that's what you get when your base is so insane that he gets elected.

8. Mage Silver badge
    Coat

2,400+

Quite a niche product for a business person on the go. For under $1000 total I have a decent 6" phone, a lightweight slim 1920x1080 i5 laptop (inc real GPU, 8G RAM), 10" tablet with 256 G microSD and a 7" eink based ereader. However I don't go out much and never wear a suit, at least not in the last 7 years.

These will only displace existing tablet + phone if they get to about 1/10th of current price. I imagine the pricing 1/2 reflects the "niche market charge as much as you can" and the "real extra costs" compared to a same CPU / RAM / Flash tablet. No doubt the screen is very expensive, which is also why a decent eink ereader is up to x4 price of a more complex smartphone.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: 2,400+

Not quite sure if business people will be crying out for these but the foldable form factor does have a lot to recommend it. And lots of teething problems to overcome as well, no doubt. But I can easily imagine foldables becoming the norm in a couple of years.

No doubt the screen is very expensive, which is also why a decent eink ereader is up to x4 price of a more complex smartphone.

Here the screen and hinge is no doubt expensive because complex. E-ink screens aren't complex but they're produced in much lower volumes which means a higher marginal cost so you can't really use them for a comparison.

1. Mage Silver badge

Takes ages for the workers to drop the little black balls into the cells and fill with milky liquid.

I was just trying to think of a niche product with a very expensive display. Actually I don't understand why the eink panels are so expensive. I don't think it's just the low volume.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I think you are mistaking quality of colour reproduction and refresh rate with cost of materials and production tolerances.

E ink is difficult to produce.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Niche products are almost always more expensive than mass market ones because volume generally does matter. Modern phone screens are difficult to produce and require very clean environments. But it helps if you can use the same production line for a wide range of devices.

With E-Ink you have smaller volumes and only a couple of products with slow replacement rates. OTOH you don't have to continually retool for the latest generation. Prices have plateaued around what the market (largely those who like E-Ink based devices) will bear.

9. Halfmad

Target market?

Not sure there is one, I don't know anyone who's said "I wish my phone was just a bit bigger, I'd happily pay twice as much with a greater chance of faults occuring".

Not even sure the local "look at me" crowd want one of these at this point.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Target market?

Many years ago when I was in the portable data capture business, we had a big customer who said he liked our existing devices but would buy a lot more if the screen was larger. So the engineering department went to work and eventually came up with a prototype with a new, larger screen. We showed it to the customer and he then complained because the device itself was now larger (duh).

So there's your answer - there really are people who want a bigger screen without it making their device bigger, and a folding screen done right is one possible answer to that conundrum.

10. Paradroid
    Trollface

Would love to be in Apple's marketing department today

"Damn these guys, they make our overpriced premium phones look cheap"

11. Andy Tunnah
    Coat

Uh oh

I smell a lawsuit. No way in HELL Apple are gonna let this fly. I know Chinese companies tend to play fast and loose with copyright and trademark infringement, but this is beyond the pale. I mean really, just copying Apple's pricing policy like that ? Shameless.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like