back to article Pranksters infiltrate live Macworld feed

As unfounded as they may be, reports of Steve Jobs's demise have spread to a live feed of Macworld Expo provided by Apple gossip site MacRumors after griefers managed to breach the website's security. The micro-blogging feed at Macrumorslive.com appeared banal enough through the first 23 minutes of Monday's Macworld Expo …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Gareth Irwin

Oh well

About the only interesting thing to come out of their today for sure.

2. Pierre

Or maybe....

Maybe all the rumors are true, and the fine people at Apple keep a few Jobs clone/androids in a closet. Maybe he did die a few times already, and they keep activating clones...

3. Chris Hatfield

Hilarious

I thought this was extremely funny.

I was deeply disappointed with the Schiller keynote - no Mac Mini rev etc.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Halo

Steve Jobs Is Not Dead!

That which has never lived cannot die - this demon shade, this blackened talon of the devil himself, carries not the blessing of life as breathed into mankind by The Creator but instead was given the curse of unlife by the rank, foetid, sulfurous, exhalations of The Fallen.

Simultaneously fueling, and feeding upon, mankind's commission of the deadly sins, Steve Jobs is the single most evil creature on the face of the planet - but alive, he is not.

Lust, Gluttony, Greed, Sloth, Wrath, Envy, Pride. From Lisa to iPhone, Apple has been the relentless sea that erodes the soft, soapstone, souls of the weak and degenerate. The soul of the righteous is an indomitable granite pillar built on utilitarian commodity hardware, and Windows Vista (Service Pack 2 Beta).

Evil wears silk, and offers forbidden corporeal pleasures. Good wears hair shirts and promises only that your faith will be tested. Daily.

5. Stuart

@ Chris Hatfield

Not that funny;

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2009/01/05sjletter.html

I am sure public figures expect this stuff, but I bet it shakes them. Hope he feels better soon.

6. alzain
    Thumb Down

hahahahah

MAC SECURITY IS LAME LIKE A MAC.

7. John Molloy

#alzain and others

They had mirrored their site onto some servers which didn't have PHP installed and it served the PHP pages including login information as plain text. Nothing to do with Mac security at all just dumb web administration by some people who should have known better.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

@alzain

lame...like typing in all caps?

9. Andy

@John Molloy

Seriously? Whoops.

I thought it was hilarious. Figured it was a joke, then a second message came up... and then a "sponsorship message" from 4chan. Couldn't stop laughing.

Gotta feel sorry for the guys involved – and it inconvenienced me, as I was following that page via my phone because it's low-bandwidth – but Anonymous (if 'twas really he) delivered truly epic lulz.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

So... MacWorld was running the chat on a PC?

The must have been... Macs are UNHACKABLE!!!!!111!!1one!!!111eleventy!!1

11. John Savard

Sad

I don't approve of maliciously interfering with computers that don't belong to you.

And it wasn't even funny.

Now, if a video feed of Steve Jobs had him turning into Nehemiah Scudder, the First Prophet, who then denounced Steve Jobs as not being his true anointed successor... well, while that wouldn't win points for *originality*, at least it would be a nice homage.

12. Paul

Not very creative

They could have tried to be a bit more creative couldn't they? If it was me I would have announced something like the new iphone shuffle for when you need to phone someone but are not bothered who.

Or that the new macbook is so thin its almost invisible.

Or the iGetALife package for those who spend all their free time defending how using a mac gives them so much free time.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Where's Webster?

and has he got an alibi?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If they say they're from 4chan

then they're actually from ebaumsworld.com

15. Maliciously Crafted Packet

alzain, are you all right?

Just wondering.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

the rules

Whoever did it needs to review rules 1 and 2. As everyone knows it was really ebaumsworld. Could we have a guy fawkes icon please?

17. Thomas

@Gareth Irwin

For me, it would be the only interesting thing to happen around macrumors.com ever, were it interesting. But they seem to have an audience, so who am I to judge? It just seems to be "there's a new processor; maybe Apple will use it one day" and "here's some wacky patent that Apple have filed, but you know: it is America!" every day to me. Though their running commentary on how long it's been since Apple updated various products is occasionally helpful.

To sum up: I appear to be conflicted and self contradictory. I shall offer to write the feed entirely on my own for next time.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Give them crackers Jobs

It always amuses me when that gang that thinks they are always immune to hacks/cracks/virus/malware and alike get stuffed over in a big and public way. Most would change the way they think, but not the maccites, they will have forgotten this tomorrow.

For once I appreciate them boys from the darkside making a mockery of the Apple shindig.

19. Aetyr
    Joke

Sense of humour transplants available here!

Glad to see the taciturn faces of a few people taking it too seriously. Of course it was funny. It only wouldn't be funny if Mr Jobs had taken it seriously himself and cried himself to sleep afterwards, and I seriously doubt he did that.

After all, if Steve Jobs got upset everytime some nameless anonytard on the internet said something bad about him, he'd have worried himself sick years ago!

Oh wait... :P

20. Ron Eve
    Jobs Halo

@AC - Steve Jobs Is Not Dead!

That mate, was one of the funniest things I've read in weeks, including the story about the Zune 'lying down for a bit'.

Any chance you could write some articles for El Reg?

Marvellous stuff.

21. TeeCee Gold badge
    Jobs Halo

Clones? Androids?

Nah, no need. Every time this happens for real they just wait until he rises from the dead three days later.

The reason he's absent this year is 'cos he's currently taking a lie down in a rock-hewn tomb outside Cupertino with a big stone over the entrance.

This also explains the dearth of really cool stuff alluded to. Apple insiders have now learned the sacred lesson that nobody should say anything important while Jobs is busily being dead.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

@Paul

"I would have announced something like the new iphone shuffle for when you need to phone someone but are not bothered who."

That's fantastic. I give you a thumbs up.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

@iPhone Shuffle

That is quite possibly the greatest (and most original) idea I've heard come from anything related to Apple in a long time. And it's not even from Apple.

Go forth and code, iPhone developers!

24. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

lulz

Very funny, but you made a mistake. It was done by ebaumsworld, not 4chan

25. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Resurrection of Steve Jobs

He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like