back to article Chrome deploys deep-linking tech in latest browser build despite privacy concerns

Google has implemented a browser capability in Chrome called ScrollToTextFragment that enables deep links to web documents, but it has done so despite unresolved privacy concerns and lack of support from other browser makers. Via Twitter on Tuesday, Peter Snyder, privacy researcher at privacy-focused browser maker Brave …

1. Snake Silver badge

If I'm correct in the interpretation of the API, one must wonder why such an API was created in the first place.

If the API send the ScrollToTextFragment to the internet source to fulfill, in other words the search engine / server du jour sends back a page at the relevant content.

But why? This could have been handled exclusively *inside* the browser, as ScrollToTextFragment is essentially equal to a Find in Page text search.

There reinvented the wheel and broke it by sending a query outside the user's box for no reason.

1. redpawn

"There reinvented the wheel and broke it by sending a query outside the user's box for no reason."

For the good of Google, not for no reason. What's good for Google is great for the world! Just ask Google.

2. iron Silver badge

You are jumping to conclusions. I don't see anywhere in the article where it says that, or even vaguely suggests it.

Why would the browser need to send the link to Google? It can navigate to the page and search for the given terms perfectly by itself.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Rich 2 Silver badge

Errrr.....

I can't find any reference to that either, but if the feature was implemented entirely within the browser the how could there be any security issue? I agree though - there is no reason why it shouldn't and couln't be implemented entirely within the browser.

I don't get it either way

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge

Re: Errrr.....

It is just in the browser. The supposed security issue are related to timing attacks coupled with JS, but I personally think if that's a thing, this new linking ability is the wrong place to fix it.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YHcl1-vE_ZnZ0kL2almeikAj2gkwCq8_5xwIae7PVik/edit#heading=h.uoiwg23pt0tx

3. Tigra 07

RE: Snake! Snake! SNAAAAAAAKE!

No need to worry, Google will replace it with something else in a year, or just break it and discontinue it. It is the Google way.

1. Snake Silver badge

Re: RE: Snake! Snake! SNAAAAAAAKE!

We can certainly hope! But people will use the functionality whilst still signed in to their Google accounts - so now Google will know not ONLY what pages you read, but once you share that content with Scroll To, precisely what words and sentences strike you with specifically-high interest.

And then ad double-target you for it.

4. Charlie Clark Silver badge

This is being done in the browser: you identify somewhere on the page and send a link to someone else using the API.

The spying is done by any machine able to read the URL but I think this is only marginally more invasive than knowing the base url. Any spyware will be able to summarise what the page was about.

No. Anchor text is never part of the URL that travels over the network.

The supposed security issues are timing attacks: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YHcl1-vE_ZnZ0kL2almeikAj2gkwCq8_5xwIae7PVik/edit#heading=h.uoiwg23pt0tx

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge
          Thumb Up

Thanks for the link.

No problem!

There is more information on the format and syntax here: https://github.com/bokand/ScrollToTextFragment

2. Snake Silver badge

See replies below

Other commenters posted before, and I think they track the issue.

It's not security that the problem, it's privacy. If you email a link with embedded Scroll To, the full URL goes through the internet to the server, thereby announcing to said server the true sub-content that you are specifically interested in. Imaging looking up a full text of a day's court precedings but you're really only interested in the trial of the well-endowed pRon performer. The server now knows this if you clicked that Scroll To-embedded link.

However, if it were implemented exclusively in the browser then said browser can strip the Scroll To content out of the URL prior to transmission, only keeping the Scroll To content to itself. It would them act on the Scroll To content when the page was received by using a JS-activated Find In Page function, thereby keeping outside entities out of the Jump To functionality entirely.

But now anyone clicking on a Scroll To-enabled URL is giving away their full intent, not just a general idea, of exactly and precisely the content that interests you. Direct marketing, hidden profile building and user telemetry all get an enhanced hit, thanks to embedded pinpoint scroll to only the sentence you desire

I'll make sure NEVER to click on that type of URL.

Re: See replies below

It's not security that the problem, it's privacy. If you email a link with embedded Scroll To, the full URL goes through the internet to the server, thereby announcing to said server the true sub-content that you are specifically interested in.

No it doesn't. The browser never sends anything past the "#" to the server. It has no need to anyway - the same page is pulled in regardless of where the users "cursor" is placed, just the same as with traditional anchors.

If a browser does send anything after the "#", it's buggered!

Check the links I've already posted.

1. jelabarre59

Re: See replies below

If a browser does send anything after the "#", it's buggered!

So, IOW, anything made by Google.

5. jilocasin
      Linux

It's there to allow Google to send more specific search results.

Currently the spec requires a web page author to create anchors on their web page. This new functionality will allow a 3rd party, in this case Google, to link to any portion of any existing page. If you have a page containing descriptions of all the albums of a group, say the Beetles, with a paragraph describing each album. If someone searched for 'Abby Road' this feature would allow Google to create a dynamic link that would take the user *directly* to the section on that album. Seems like a _great_ feature, right? Unfortunately it will let Google and other 3rd parties know more about what you are searching for. Hence the privacy issue.

I hope that clears things up.

Re: It's there to allow Google to send more specific search results.

How?

1) Google etc. will already know what you've searched for.

2) The anchor text is dealt with internally on the browser, and is not part of the request that goes over the network.

Re: It's there to allow Google to send more specific search results.

I'm in general agreement with you – Google already knows what you searched for – but the provider of the link will also know whether you fast-forward to a particular section. Not that this will really tell anyone any more than existing scroll-events would. But there will undoubtedly be unintended consequences of the function.

6. eldakka

But why? This could have been handled exclusively *inside* the browser, as ScrollToTextFragment is essentially equal to a Find in Page text search.
      While the article doen't mention it, the github link (which I have modified using an anchor to the specific page-embedded anchor ;) ) in the article does have Google's explanation, whether I agree with it or not, reproduced below (emphasis mine):
      When following a link to read a specific part of a web page, finding the relevant part of the document after navigating can be cumbersome. This is especially true on mobile devices, where it can be difficult to find specific content when scrolling through long pages or using the browser's "find in page" feature. Fewer than 1% of clients use the "Find in Page" feature in Chrome on Android.

To enable users to more quickly find the content they're interested in, we propose generalizing the existing support for scrolling to elements based on the fragment identifier. We believe this capability could be used by a variety of websites (e.g. search engine results pages, Wikipedia reference links), as well as by end users when sharing links from a browser.

7. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

STTF isn't an API. It's a user-agent (browser) behavior initiated by an extension to the URI syntax.

Personally, I think it's crap; though as WICG ideas go, it's somewhere around median crappiness. I'm hoping Dragon (my choice of Chromium-based browser when I really, really have to use a Chromium-based browser) either doesn't adopt it, or lets me disable it.

(WICG notes that users can just use the browser's find feature to achieve the same result, but that "Fewer than 1% of clients use the 'Find in Page' feature in Chrome on Android". What does that tell me? It tells me there's no great desire in the user base for STTF.)

2. whitepines
    Unhappy

Wonder what the GDPR implications of this are? Does knowing what your viewers are looking at section by section or word by word imply you are now a data processor and can be sued / fined into oblivion?

If so, this could become a toxic feature only deployed by certain large USA companies. Just the way Google likes it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

re: Wonder what the GDPR implications of this are?

If you are in the UK that's now an irrelevant question as Google is moving UK users data out of the EU and GDPR.

Breaking news.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: re: Wonder what the GDPR implications of this are?

Aren’t U.K. Google users still protected by the DPA 2018 which is the UK’s implementation of GDPR?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Yes. Leaving the EU does not automatically void existing EU laws implemented in parliament.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN20D2M3

Google is planning to move its British users' accounts out of the control of European Union privacy regulators, placing them under U.S. jurisdiction instead, sources said.

The shift, prompted by Britain's exit from the EU, will leave the sensitive personal information of tens of millions with less protection and within easier reach of British law enforcement.

An employee familiar with the planned move said that British privacy rules, which at least for now track GDPR, would continue to apply to that government's requests for data from Google's U.S. headquarters.

1. deive

Also @ https://www.engadget.com/2020/02/19/reuters-uk-google-users-lose-gdpr-protections/

1. deive

...and for completeness: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/02/20/google_is_shifting_its_uk_data_hoard_from_ireland_to_us/

2. EnviableOne

considering the ICO wrote a large part of GDPR and even wanted it to go further, similar to Health and saftey legislation, I dont see any reason uk.gov will water any of it down any more than it has been.

Anyway, Providing google signed up to the Pan-Atlantic Profits Plaster aka Privacy Shield then its safe as far as DPA18 is concerned.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

That was before Prime Minister Cummings took control. They've ALREADY said they are relaxing water quality regulations.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/feb/12/these-three-post-brexit-bills-bulldoze-a-hole-through-environmental-protections

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Google does what is good for Google

and to hell with the rest of us.

Time that they were taken down a peg or three (like Facebook)

Another reason NOT to let Chrome anywhere near my kit. (As if I needed more than one in the first place... ie. it comes from Google)

All the internet is Google's or so they think.

4. Dan 55 Silver badge

Wasn't this done already years ago?

I'm pretty sure if you give the value for a name or id element after the # at the end of a URL the browser will jump there. The only downside* is it doesn't let Google know where.

* for Google.

Re: Wasn't this done already years ago?

Not all elements have ids.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Wasn't this done already years ago?

The article provides a link to the WICG Github repository for the STTF proposal, which has a README.md that explains their rationale, including how STTF differs from fragments and user-initiated searches.

Essentially, it comes down to "we didn't like either of the wheels we already have, so we invented another wheel".

I used to be annoyed by WHAT-WG, but WICG is far worse.

5. SVV

W3C RIP

Your services are no longer required, welcome to the Google Wide Web.

6. Philip Lewis

" But because Chrome so dominates the browser market, its unilateral innovations tend to become obligations for competitors, particularly if web developers embrace them."

The 90s called ...

" But because Internet Explorer so dominates the browser market, its unilateral innovations tend to become obligations for competitors, particularly if web developers embrace them."

1. jelabarre59

" But because Chrome so dominates the browser market,

" But because Internet Explorer so dominates the browser market, its unilateral innovations tend to become obligations for competitors, particularly if web developers embrace them."

Which is why I refer to GoogleChrome (and the entire quagmire of Chromium in general) as "MSIE6-revisited". It's the same disaster happening all over again.

7. Jamie Jones Silver badge

"Consider a situation where I can view DNS traffic (e.g. company network), and I send a link to the company health portal, with #:~:text=cancer," he wrote. "On certain page layouts, I might be able [to] tell if the employee has cancer by looking for lower-on-the-page resources being requested."

Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!

1) DNS traffic has nothing to do with it.

2) If he really means "URLs", then, there is no issue, as the anchor text is never sent as part of the URL (it's dealt with internally)

3) If his scenario was possible, it would be possible with or without this new feature.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

No, he's right.

Here's the attack:

1. Find a page that:

1.1. Dynamically loads additional content based on when it scrolls into view. Many sites do this with images, for example. (Yes, it's extremely annoying; but it's common.)

1.2. Has some target content that you want to test for far enough down the page that it won't scroll into view immediately.

2. Put a link to the page with an STTF fragment referring to the target content on a shared site (the "health portal" in this example).

3. Victim is interested in the target content, so clicks on the link.

4. DNS traffic indicates a request to resolve the dynamically-loaded content from the target area of the page from the victim's system.

STTF can activate side channels, such as load-on-scroll content.

1. CBM

Requires that the lazily loaded content has a distinctive DNS pattern, hell of a long shot, most likely it is from the same hosts as the rest of the page so doesn't have any extra DNS at all (because hosts were already resolved for other page content).

2. viscount

This does not sound right to me in DNS terms.

Also if a company really wants to snoop its own portal it does not need a backdoor.

8. Tim99 Silver badge
    Big Brother

DuckDuckGo

If you really must use Google, DuckDuckGo allows the use of bangs: e.g., terms followed or preceded by !g for Google, !gi for Google images, and !w for Wikipedia. This should give some added anonymity. Because I may be paranoid, I tend to run searches through a VPN and a private DNS with an ad-blocker. Funnily enough I see almost no advertising, and the little that does get through appears not to be targeted.

1. John_3_16
      Thumb Up

Re: DuckDuckGo

DuckDuckGo user here, too. Very interested in privacy issues & protecting mine. Google, on the other hand, wants to monetize everything they can learn about me. Nature of the beast. Like the government, they ARE NOT there to help us. They exist to protect themselves by increasing their power & control over the populace. A very simple concept enhanced by our high tech world.

We still have choices via organizations who work hard to protect & give us those choices like DuckDuckGo & Firefox. Most sheep stay with the main flock. Like schools of fish who are fed upon by predators constantly. Wolves (Google) feed on the weak, ignorant outliers (95% of browser users). Be fast & try & stay in the middle of the flock/school. :D

Predators also attack each other. Just say'n.

God bless.

9. jlmagee

Waste of time

This is at best a specious concern. Nothing which is not in the page content is exposed. A ridiculous waste of everyobe's time just to get some headlines.

10. BGatez

VPN + blockers

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like