back to article Third time's a charm, maybe: Bankers suing Oracle over claims of exaggerated cloud sales have another go at convincing skeptical judge

The financial group suing Oracle for allegedly deceiving investors by inflating its cloud revenue this week took a third stab at articulating its claim against the database giant. Since the City of Sunrise Firefighters' Pension Fund filed its initial 19-page complaint in August 2018, pushback from Oracle and the judge …

1. Androgynous Cow Herd

TL:DR Version

Oracle's UI sucks, and sales numbers are inflated.

In other news, bears are found to defactate in woodland areas

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: TL:DR Version

I think you mean "defecate". "Defactate" is what the Orangeutan and de Pfeffel-Johnson do.

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge

To be fair, if bears defactated, they would do it probably in woodlands, too.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Polar bears wouldn't.

1. teknopaul

Climate change denier?

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

OK, OK, polar bears wouldn't this week. Better?

8Þ.

2. macjules
    Paris Hilton

Hmm, sounds familiar

Cooking the books to make HCM sales look more than there were? Threats to audit and withhold business?

Congratulations Larry! You are Mike Lynch in disguise and I claim my free 1 year's HP printer ink supply!

3. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Devil

Oh... what a quandry

Who to side with when lets face it most of us hate Oracle and Bankers.

After due consideration, I think I'll come down on the side of the Bankers. Oracle is shite these days. I am just amazed that they are still in business. See icon for what I think of Oracle.

1. CRConrad

A quandary indeed.

One does so wish for some way to side against both, doesn't one?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: A quandary indeed.

Kind of like those large spider versus wasp fights where you're hoping for mortal wounds all round. Or failing that, a flamethrower.

4. a_yank_lurker

Bench Shyster

Given the well-known shakedown tactics of the Minions the bench shyster is either bought or an idiot. The Minions' tactics would make a mafioso blush for their brazenness and general jackassery. So I would believe the charges are probably true; the Minions squeezed many customers with a deal to make some numbers look better than they actually are. What the bench shyster fails to grasp is not that the net revenue is off but the Minions want to look like a stronger cloud player than they really are. Since the Minions are a distant laggard anything the juices their cloud numbers will help their stock price and market perception which is the basis of the suit.

5. DCFusor

While it's perhaps nice to have standing to attempt to punish Oracle in court, it's also amazingly stupid.

Invest in a baby-seal-clubbing operation? Have you no morals at all? It's not like their behavior is unknown, even to finance types (in the big outfits, they are stuck with the junk).

And then to sue an outfit also famously litigious as well as famously dishonest, but with a record of winning in the courts?

Who did due diligence here? On anything at all?

Yeah, I know, pension funds (or mutual funds) have no morals either, but if Oracle is the only way to make money, I'd look for a better job.

I'm sure there are other ways to keep grandma and pa on better than cat-food.

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
      Joke

"...but with a record of winning in the courts?"

If, the plaintiffs do eventually win, then, the only way to hurt Oracle is not just a fine, but put a restraining order on Larry forbidding him from stepping onboard an ocean-going racing yacht

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fairy tales

Utter tosh! No Oracle sales-type would tie a customer into buying a load of Cloud Credits in order to discount the actual products the customer wanted... Nor would they pester the customer to login and activate said Cloud service or even ask the customer for their password to "help" them... As if such practices were actually happening in the real world!!! It's not like Larry would claw back sales bonuses paid on these Cloud sales which led to large Cloud DC's being built and then no customers ever used them - for sure!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

IBM?

If shifting revenue on everything from operating system to machine learning into the cloud bucket is fraud against shareholders then why stop with Oracle?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like