back to article Oracle plays its Trump card: Blushing Big Red gushes over US govt support in Java API battle... just as Larry Ellison holds Donald fundraiser

The US solicitor general Noel Francisco on Wednesday filed a friend-of-the-court brief in support of Oracle in its Java API copyright lawsuit against Google, scheduled to be argued before the US Supreme Court next month. Uncle Sam's brief [PDF] was submitted to the court on the same day Oracle supremo Larry Ellison held a re- …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Larry and Donnie

If Big Red and Big Orange agree on something, it's a good sign that the other side is right.

1. tfewster
      Joke

Re: Larry and Donnie

On the other hand (side) is Google, who have also played dirty. And in the middle, lawyers taking away money from scumbags but getting richer themselves

I'm quite torn on this one.

1. Robert Grant

Almost every "evil" tech company is a saint compared to Big Red.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The US DOJ is hardly "big orange" bur rather does things like Crossfire Hurricane, FISA abuse and 302 modifications in order to shut down the orange guy. It's kinda been a big news maker how much they've tried to remove him. Pay attention.

2. Chairman of the Bored

Castenada's statement...

... Is really quite good. It's a beautiful non sequitur.

Remember, kids, the deadliest BS is odorless and transparent. These two firms will kill us all.

3. Lord Buddha

Predictable

https://mspoweruser.com/trump-government-supports-oracle-in-its-java-copyright-case-against-google/

4. Chris 216
    FAIL

Footgun

Going into an election, you give Larry a big (or little) thumbs up, at the expense of Google?

This is the Google, right?

The big search engine, data slurpers Google?

No Footgun icon so have a Fail instead.

If I was a betting man, I'd stick $10 on Bernie romping (shuffling?) home.

5. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge
    FAIL

Justice Dept mouthpiece is a moron, then

"[Google] suggests...that it was entitled to copy 11,330 lines of [Oracle's] declaring code because that code standing alone is not commercially valuable," the brief states. "If that approach were sound, a developer could steal half of another developer’s program and finish it herself, so long as the stolen half did not function on its own."

Clueless moron. Either learn how this stuff actually works or STFU.

Declarations describe the interface. Definitions are the bits that do the work. The distinction is critical to this case, and the existing software world simple couldn't exist if no one could extend an interface by copying its declarations and providing their own definitions.

Everyone would have to reinvent the wheel, every wheel, every time, or the combined licensing and royalty costs would quickly overwhelm any project. Interoperability and standards would be a nightmare. Anyone complying with a standard could be accused of plaigarising others simply because the declarations match. Crazy.

6. EnviableOne

Ok as corporations, I llike neither, but i have to come down on google's side

This is basically Hoover suing electrolux for making a vacuum cleaner.

Basically google made a thing that does the same thing that Oracle's does, but does them differently

oh and it called the things it does the same thing oracle did, but they didnt trademark the functions in any way.

7. This post has been deleted by its author

8. ratfox

I'm rather annoyed that people supporting Oracle's side, keep calling it "code". It's not.

9. EU time zones

If Oracle win then the reverse-engineering of the IBM PC BIOS would become impossible. We seem to have quite a nice little industry based on the ability to use other folk's APIs.

10. John H Woods Silver badge

Solution:

Someone tell Trump that the Obama administration supported ORACLE in this matter.

*apologies for earlier brainfart

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like