back to article Mi first! Latest Xiaomi flagship storms DxOMark rankings with quartet of powerful cameras

Chinese tat bazaar Xiaomi just peeled the wraps off its latest flagship smartphones – MWC or no MWC. Due to be released later this month, the Mi 10 and Mi 10 Pro both pack Qualcomm's latest Snapdragon 865 platform, as well as a 108MP rear-facing primary camera. The Snapdragon 865 is something of a step-change compared to the …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. ma1010

Be nice if they made them for the U.S. market

I saw some really good Xiaomi phones and was going to get one, but the ones I was looking at don't work on the frequencies used here. And with the trade war crap going on, who knows if they're going to bother to try to sell their phones here?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Be nice if they made them for the U.S. market

They do.

Unfortunately, your politicians ensure that your mobile infrastructure is poor compared to many areas in the developed world and are hostile to real competition.

America is currently an unreliable ally that anyone with a choice would be well advised to avoid.

3. 89724102172714182892114I7551670349743096734346773478647892349863592355648544996312855148587659264921

Meh

Not impressed with the Mi 10 images which feature hair or leaves, which look oversharpened. Any object part which fits neatly into a polynomial looks ok, as you would expect with such intensive in-phone post processing. Phone image stabilisation really shows it's deficiencies when panning, so expect very few or very short sample videos with panning

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Meh

Yeah, thanks for your contribution - obviously the amateurs at DxOMark don't know what they're talking about.

1. 89724102172714182892114I7551670349743096734346773478647892349863592355648544996312855148587659264921

Phone cameras have come a long way, but they are not going to replace proper cameras yet

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Yeah, thanks for your contribution again - that's called "stating the blindingly obvious".

1. 89724102172714182892114I7551670349743096734346773478647892349863592355648544996312855148587659264921

Thanks for your sarcasm

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

You're welcome.

If it makes you think twice about spouting inane drivel, it's worth it.

You've added nothing to this thread.

4. davemcwish

8K videos on s smartphone

Ok I appreciate that I’m not the target audience but I’m really not sure of the use case of this. I would have thought given the relatively small amount of glass you would get something that would scale up to a reasonable viewing size. Additionally, and maybe it’s because I’m way behind and only recently got an HD tv but why 8K now? Is there a real need or just marketing hype?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 8K videos on s smartphone

Anyone paying more than £500 for a current generation mobile doesn't do so because there's a "real need".

1. Maximum Joy

Re: 8K videos on s smartphone

Quite. I just bought 3x Motorola G7 Play at £110 each for some of our staff. Fantastic phones and dirt cheap, but I'm sure they're totally unfashionable and some people whose opinions I don't pay any attention to will look down on me because I haven't wasted a load of dosh on an unnecessarily expensive phone.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Daily Telegraph coverage of the phone

Interestingly, the DT fails to mention the Mi 10 Pro in any of it's coverage, best buys or general news. There's virtually nothing about Xiaomi either.

And people complain the BBC is biased ;)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Daily Telegraph coverage of the phone

“ So far, there's no word on when the Mi 10 Series will make its way to the UK or the rest of Europe. That said, given Xiaomi's intentions for the Western phone markets, we doubt it'll take very long”

The DT didn’t cover the news of the panda having a dump in the woods either, I guess it wasn’t relative to its target audience.

Likewise I didn’t see the reg covering this:

“Syrian rebels 'used sophisticated surface-to-air missile' to shoot down Assad regime helicopter

Incident raises questions about where the weapon came from.”

How’s that for a straw person (is that sufficiently woke?)?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Hey, we've got a live one - a Daily Telegraph apologist!

If you put Xiaomi in the DT search box, it fires up Googles to search its pages (cheapskates!). Searching in date order results in 8 matches for 2020 - not one of them with any detail about the phone that DxOMark rates as currently the best phone camera on the planet.

Don't you find that a little odd, the DT not giving its own readers the facts to make up their own minds. At least not doing so isn't actually lying. /s. DT reviews lesser phones but none of Xiaomi's are worth mentioning.

DT tells you everything you need to know. Except pandas, apparently.

LOL.

2. Maximum Joy

Does anyone take the DT seriously any more as an objective source of news or opinion?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No, not the grown ups.

DT is just a posh version of the Daily Express.

6. Cave-Homme
    FAIL

tat bazaar

"Chinese tat bazaar Xiaomi"

Quite the contrary, the produce some excellent phones, and they also have an extra layer of security in the OS over Android. You should get our more.

1. Nick Stallman

Re: tat bazaar

They sell more than phones you know. Quite a *lot* more than phones. That's what is being referred to.

2. Phil Kingston

It's probably quicker to list the things Xiaomi *don't* make. That's what's being referred to. Author maybe got out more than you realise.

1. tip pc Silver badge

I have a number of xiami lights and fans, good quality and prices. The price of the phones is tempting.

1. Calum Morrison

As well as a Pocophone F1, I have a Xiaomi umbrella and bluetooth-enabled leccy toothbrush. If their earpods weren't white I'd have had a set of them too. And I do like that kettle.

I'm quite the fanboi it seems.

7. 0laf
    Meh

I wonder how good the camera will be in 'normal mode'?

I've a Huawei P20 Pro the camera is great I like it a lot, but the 40M camera is set to at 10M as default. I think I've taken a single number of 40M pictures.

If this has a 108M camera and can do 8k, gimmicks, or can it take really excellent 10M/ 720k pictures/vids

1. Maximum Joy

Surely the only reason it has a 108mp camera is so that you can zoom in and take pictures that are still reasonable quality? Any tiny phone lens would surely not be able to resolve well enough to take advantage of the full 108mp resolution.

1. 0laf

Full 40MP shots on a Huawei don't allow for zoom.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like