back to article Another Windows 10 build sneaks out amid all the foldable fandango

As if to remind a Microsoft world engorged with excitement at the new and shiny Windows 10X, the Insider team emitted an update last night to point out that vanilla Windows 10 is still a thing. 20H1, aka Windows 2004, has been in a moribund, nearasdammit done state for a while now. After Microsoft patched pretty much the …

1. anthonyhegedus Silver badge

No doubt Microsoft's next version of Windows 10 will assume you have a foldable device and be really geared towards it, despite nobody wanting or owning one.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Only one thing is certain

It will need a security update when it arrives. I wonder if it's just a coincidence that Microsoft and Boeing are both located in Seattle and both have issues with their software? It seems to be the way the world sort of tries to work these days. Bugs? No worries, the programmers will move them tomorrow.

3. Tom Paine

Windows versioning

Am I the only one who hasn't the foggiest idea what versions of W10 exist? Microsoft have commited product identifier suicide, just like Intel did when they stopped being able to ID parts by the clock speed.

1. EnviableOne

Re: Windows versioning

currently supported 1809,1903,1909 aka Redstone 5, 19H1, 19H2 aka 17763,18362,18363

soon to appear 2003/4 - 20H1 - 19041

I got me a lookup table in my Powershell profile

1. John_3_16
        Happy

Got the same result with a DuckDuckGo search on my fully updated, extremely safe Win7 Home Premium laptop.

God bless.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

As it's supposed to be a rolling release OS it was a deliberate decision not to have update names like SP1 and so that have been used in the past: you will install the update. Unless, like on one of the systems my customers have, for some reason you can't.

I can understand why they do this: most people really don't care what particular flavour of Windows they have so I think the downside on the brand probably wasn't that important. Ask people what version of the OS they have on their phone and most will neither nor care. But Microsoft's execution of this approach has repeatedly been lacking.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like