back to article Talk about high tech: Tens of thousands of Cali marijuana convictions to go up in smoke, thanks to algorithms

More than 60,000 cannabis convictions in Los Angeles County are set to be overturned, thanks to computer algorithms. California passed the Adult Use of Marijuana Act (AUMA), also known as Prop 64, in 2016. As a result, folks over 21 years of age can legally grow and consume the devil's lettuce for recreational use in the US …

1. Winkypop Silver badge

Pass the judgy on the left hand side

Weeding out the non criminals.

About time.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Angel

Re: Pass the judgy on the left hand side

Too many programs are just token gestures. I find this one very spliffy. The fact that it gets the right wing types out of joint is a bonus.

2. Chris G

Interesting

That is his is retrospective. Does that his mean that overturning okd conictions will open up the possibility of compensation for those having paid fines or suffered consequences from arrest such as loss of their job etc?

I can see some litigation coming when it's decided who should be sued.

1. JetSetJim

Re: Interesting

I doubt it - I suspect either they'll rely on the "it was a crime at the time, so this is just a writing off of criminal misdeeds" or the legislation to enact this will have provisions regarding this.

Saying that, I'm sure a lawyer would be willing to try. There's enough people for a class action...

2. Spanners Silver badge
      FAIL

when it's decided who should be sued

Let me make it easy for you. They can't sue the main instigator because he is dead. On 17 June 1971, Richard Nixon got it going with a speech where he declared drug abuse to be "public enemy number one". He created a special action office to combat it.

What was the motivation?

Well I suspect that, although Watergate had not happened at that point, he was already a crook but the biggest motivation may have been they the perception was that the biggest users were "African Americans" and other people with too much melanin. Certainly the incarceration records show that it was a heavily used tool in the attempts to keep them in in their place.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Pretty sure they would have written the law so all it did was expunge the past records but not leave the state liable for people to sue. After all, they were convicted of something that was a crime at the time they did it, so they can hardly argue unfair prosecution like e.g. someone whose conviction was overturned by DNA evidence proving their innocence.

4. Dal90

They're not overturning convictions. That stands.

They're expunging the records of said convictions.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Finally a use for AI and automation

Hash for the win

4. davenewman

Shown on Click

There was a segment on BBC Click a year or more ago about the Code For America programme and interviews of people affected.

5. Version 1.0 Silver badge

This is America

We need to see the algorithm - does it take the persons skin color (sic) into account? Throughout the US, if you are black and high you are much more likely to be convicted so we should see a black majority of of convictions eliminated ... but I wonder how it's going to work?

I hope that it's fair but I'm not going to assume that it is.

6. Mark 85

Remove the convictions back to 1961?

Lot of old hippies will be happy...

1. Dal90

Re: Remove the convictions back to 1961?

Can't be true. One of the posters here laid the blame on all this to a Nixon speech in 1971.

7. cdrcat

The hippies have token over

Why have grown-up hippies from the 60’s and 70’s not had more influence on politics?

1. John Geek
      Trollface

Re: The hippies have token over

hippies never grow up!

I know this cuz I are one.

2. StatsBoy

Re: The hippies have token over

They have. They became what they hated.

Just look at what they did to free speech on US college campuses when they became the administration. Or how you can lose your financial aid if you get busted for drinking in college and are under age.

8. RegGuy1 Silver badge

Make America Great Again

... man

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Re: Make America Great Again

Make America Grate Again (there, fixed it for you).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like