back to article After just one phone, Essential Products ascends to the great venture capitalist in the sky

Essential Products, the troubled handset manufacturer from Android daddy Andy Rubin, has ceased operations. Founded in 2015, Essential Products had ambitions to create an entire mobile ecosystem, ranging from devices and accessories, to a brand-new operating system designed for the Internet of Things. Despite that grand plan …

1. batfink

A bad choice of name perhaps?

Clearly not so Essential after all...

1. Rameses Niblick the Third Kerplunk Kerplunk Whoops Where's My Thribble?

Re: A bad choice of name perhaps?

Clearly not so Essential after all...

I thought that was the point of the sub-heading?

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: A bad choice of name perhaps?

Or Essentially rubbish (perhaps)

anyone buying sowething from a Startup or via Crowdfunding shold be prepared to lose the money right from the word go. Anything else is a bonus.

2. JohnFen

Ahead of its time isn't a good thing

> the first to market with notches and edge-to-edge displays while other manufacturers were still desperately clinging to chunky bezels.

Two trends in modern phones that I consider terrible and dissuades me from purchasing them.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Ahead of its time isn't a good thing

Agreed. I don't care that much about the notch, though I can certainly do without it; but bezels are useful in a number of respects. They make the phone easier to hold, they help prevent inadvertent input, they help protect the screen (and they make it easier to apply a screen protector), and so on.

Edge-to-edge screens (and worse those stupid wraparound screens) are an affectation that makes the device significantly worse.

3. myhandler

How much money did they burn through and whose money was it ? VCs?

Just curious..

Feel free to use the Bozo approved term 'spaffed' in any reply.

1. Youngone Silver badge

From what I understand they burned through $330 million of "outside funding" which I am assuming is money from the VC crowd.

I am hoping that the money came from a whole lot of otherwise useless trust fund babies, and is now circulating in the economy like it should be.

I know, I can dream.

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"the primary reason behind its demise"

It seems to me that the primary reason for its demise is the fact that it didn't learn anything from its first mistake. It should have taken stock in the market's reaction, reviewed the issues and built a point-by-point action plan.

Instead, EP management obviously decided to just go and do the same thing again (create an even more "revolutionary" model) but expecting fame and fortune as a result which, as we all know here, is the definition of insanity.

5. Kimo

I like my Essential phone, but I picked it up at $250 instead of launch price. At that price the so-so camera isn't a deal breaker, and I did get the 360 camera attachment. They could have followed up with a second phone with a better camera and lower price, but they wanted to make SHINY-SQUIRREL instead. They changed focus more times than my cats. But they made a decent bare-bones Android phone.

6. Fazal Majid

The futility of premium Android handsets

It's clear from Samsung's dropping market share that there is no market for premium Android phones, and the winning formula is Huawei and Xiaomi's, near premium quality at midrange prices. As with PCs, Apple has captured the entire premium market.

7. Fred Down

I have an Essential Phone

I have an Essential PH1 - it is an amazing phone, I bought the 360 Camera for $62. In the 3 years I have owned it - no crashes, reliable, elegant and novel.

The add on bus is unique.

1. doublelayer Silver badge

Re: I have an Essential Phone

"The add on bus is unique."

That might have been a problem. If the bus is unique, that means three things. 1. Nobody else can put that bus on their phone easily, assuming that the original designers license it out at all, because the bus would require lots of new hardware and software. 2. It is not easy for other companies to produce add-ons to connect to that bus because the tech behind it is unusual, so they'd probably have to implement new protocols to make use of it. Both of which lead us to 3. nobody has an incentive to support the bus, so the only place doing anything with it is the original manufacturer, which means there are no add-ons for a while and only one eventually, which means that users feel cheated by a feature that never became useful and potential customers think it's pointless to buy the product.

I can see lots of great possibilities for a hardware extension system, but one company alone can't do it. I'm unsure if it can be done, but if it can, it would require a standard freely available to device and peripheral manufacturers, so the abandonment of the concept by one won't render the idea pointless.

1. Chronos

Re: I have an Essential Phone

I can see lots of great possibilities for a hardware extension system

So did Motorola. Moto Mods appeared on exactly 2 handsets and what did punters connect to the bus? An extra battery, more often than not, hence the G7 power and the new G8.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like