back to article Mobile World Congress now none of those things as 2020 industry megashow axed over coronavirus fears

Good news for anyone who fancies a cheap vacation in Spain at the end of the month: this year's MWC Barcelona has been officially cancelled. Organizing body the GSMA confirmed on Wednesday it will pull the plug on the show – the cellphone industry's largest event globally – following mass cancellations from vendors worried …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Missed Opportunity

What would have shown off the industries latest and greatest better than changing the venue to the Worlds First Teleconferenced MWC ?

Yeah, I know better, but I just couldn't keep my fingers of the keyboard.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Missed Opportunity

Because staring at a screen while drinking beer is considered "unprofessional".

Can't you see I'm working Garymrrsn?

2. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: Missed Opportunity

Second Life is calling...

2. G R Goslin

Oh, dear!

How on Earth are we now going to learn of all these goodies, that were going to be paraded before us at the show?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh, dear!

> How on Earth are we now going to learn of all these goodies, that were going to be paraded before us at the show?

Paid supplement in the Daily Mail?

Special focus on apps that can predict the effect of <insert worry here> on house prices.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The Guardian does a nice line in paid-for advertorials as well.

1. MyffyW Silver badge

And the New Statesman too - shocking advertorial in the December issue from some big tech company who will remain nameless as frankly they don't deserve anymore attention.

- Disgusted of Llantisilly

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I used to know that till I decided I couldn't afford to keep the Guardian hacks in the manner to which they were accustomed.

2. Benchops

If only there were some way of disseminating news to a global audience about tech remotely.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

HTTP

Have To Travel in Person

3. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Alert

Forget about that...

All eyes are now on the other big tech show coming up, Computex, which is held in Taiwan in June. Given its much closer proximity to the bio-nasty's ground zero, in China, some are now questioning whether or not the shindig should be delayed, as it was in 2003 during the SARS epidemic.

... there's the Olympics in July.

4. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Anyone else get the feeling

that the organisers have been reading Tom Clancy?

1. Oh Matron!

Re: Anyone else get the feeling

As Covid is passed around through touch and aerosol, it wouldn't have taken much to weaponise it indeed

2. MyffyW Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Bought Rainbow Six and was very disappointed there was no LGBT+ angle ;-)

Good thriller though...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

What do you mean?

I thought the relationship between John Clark and Ding Chavez was the US secret services version of Brokeback Mountain characterising the all to common real life scenario of love during black operations where they couldn't display their affection openly in case it was used against them by the enemy and instead it simmered under the surface?

Or should I actually read the book before jumping to (correct) conclusions?

1. JetSetJim

> Or should I actually read the book before jumping to (correct) conclusions?

Don't bother, you nailed it

2. katrinab Silver badge
        Gimp

That would be Rainbow 69 :-p

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Will someone...

...think of the poor guys and gals that were looking forward to a junket paid for by their companies...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Will someone...

...their plans for a one week jolly in sunny Spain followed by a further month of isolation. Probably remaining in Spain until it was safe for them to travel. All expenses paid by the company.

Brings tears to your eyes....

1. mrbawsaq
        Coat

It's all the pickpockets I feel sorry for.

Won't someone please think of them.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

If the conference is held virtually, they can try and hack it and steal credit card details. Crime must move with the times.

2. Ynox

My wife is an analyst. She goes to MWC each year and without fail, comes back with a cold.

It's probably the right thing to cancel this really!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I once picked up an infection at KBIS (I'm sorry, I'm a bit low rent) which was the worst respiratory infection I ever had. My immune system kicked off massively and (don't read this if you are sensitive) I had to depart the stand every hour in search of a bathroom to disgorge quantities of green snot. Fortunately it was under control by the time it was time to get the plane home, but the number of times I thought "why exactly am I doing this?" was considerable.

"It's all right for you," they said back at the office, "you get to go on jollies."

1. NightFox

Green snot? Amateur. I managed to pick up H1N1 swine flu during the 2009 pandemic and generated a constant stream of orange snot for maybe two weeks. However, I'm still unsure which of the unpleasant symptoms were down to the virus and which were down to the medication it was being treated with (Tamiflu). I'm certainly putting the crippling headaches and the appearance of ducks waddling around on my landing and Angelina Ballerina in my bathroom down to the Tamiflu.

6. anthonyhegedus Silver badge

It's COVID-19

The WHO renamed our friendly neighbourhood virus to COVID-19. It sounds like they just made that up to sound technical. Better than 'deathbastard-666' or 'sneezo-2000'. Actually I keep wanting to write Corvid - maybe it's related to crows?

1. MyffyW Silver badge

Re: It's COVID-19

I think we had a COVID-19 video recorder when everybody else bought VHS or Betamax

7. DJV Silver badge

maybe it's related to crows

Well, they do like a bit of murder, so you could be right.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like