back to article Razr sharp foldable: Samsung whips out Galaxy Z Flip – and, oh snap, it's £1,300

Samsung has unfolded its Galaxy Z Flip, its second stab at the nascent foldable phone market – which the vendor will be hoping goes better than the previous model that fell apart in the hands of multiple reviewers. Perhaps the biggest difference between the two generations is the display, which is constructed out of flexible …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's a Samsung...

...so there will be a catch, even if it's not a visible one on the case.

1. NoneSuch Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Read that EULA.

Buy a smart phone today and there's ALWAYS a catch.

Paris icon, because it's never used anymore.

2. cornetman Silver badge

> ...but will still remain out of reach for the vast majority of phone buyers.

TFIFY

1. big_D Silver badge

Yes, most people I know balk at paying 500€ for a smartphone.

3. Wenlocke

The main selling point here, really, is the things the folding make possible. Spec-wise, it's more in the wheelhouse of the S10 than the S20 (which, as I have mentioned elsewhere, to me feels like a whole load of power searching for a purpose as I don't play high end phone games, and 5G is unlikely to be available in many of the places I need to go in the next two years.)

A phone with a screen I can watch movies on and with that size when closed for stowage? That's an interesting proposition, as long as the hardware holds up.

Also, a customer service bod at Vodafone claims they'll be opening this up for preorder later this month. YMMV.

1. oiseau
      Facepalm

... as long as the hardware holds up.

Ahh ...

That's the million £1,500 question.

The answer?

Could be, but I seriously doubt it.

Wouldn't bet £1,300 on it.

O.

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge

$1,380 and no 5G ?

With all the hoopla around 5G for the past months, they are selling a high end foldable without 5G ? Are they setting themselves up for failure ?

I cannot fathom the rationale behind that decision. Samsung is pushing 5G in all of its new models, and now this. Did Samsung marketers deem that the target market for that model was not interested in 5G ? But, if that's the case, then what was the point of all the marketing pushing 5G ?

So many questions . .

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: $1,380 and no 5G ?

You are acting as if 5G will improve the selfies this selfie phone takes, as if by magic?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

5G is a solution looking for a problem.

1. Warm Braw

5G is a solution looking for a problem

Good job you can't say the same about a slightly-creased display.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

A lot more people have small pockets or wish to look flashy, than need the speed increase from 4g to 5g. I get 100mbps on 4g already!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There will be a second release...

The Z Fuck, for people who are not as polite as the people who say "Oh flip" when the screen breaks.

6. 89724102172714182892114I7551670349743096734346773478647892349863592355648544996312855148587659264921

>Glass

'twill crack more than I do, unless used in very hot weather

7. AIBailey
    Stop

"..a 21.9:9 aspect ratio."

Stop. Just.... stop.

7.3:3 is fine.

C'mon 'Reg, take a stand against this ??:9 nonsense. We're generally intelligent enough here to not need our hands holding and requiring every aspect ratio being something:9.

The smallest denomination is fine.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "..a 21.9:9 aspect ratio."

Isn't that 2.43r:1 ?

1. AIBailey

That actually makes more sense than 21.9:9

At least you can immediately visualise how much wider or taller a screen is from that.

1. Big_Boomer Silver badge
          Coat

Since ratios are supposed to always be Integers (or at least that's what my A Level Maths teacher taught me), the correct ratio is 219:90.

However, if you are going to use decimal places, then all ratios should be relative to 1 so your 21.9:9 is in fact 2.43:1 (to two decimal places). Cinema screens are 1.85:1 or 2.39:1, and HD TVs are 1.78:1 It's much easier to compare stuff if you stick to ONE standard method. YES, I'm getting my coat already! :-)

8. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Compelling form factor

Ignore the price tag and, just like the StarTac and later the Razr, you can see the appeal of the form factor. Will this be the device that changes the world? Unlikely at that price but I suspect we'll see more and more of the devices and falling prices.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Compelling form factor

Yep, I can, unfortunately, see the selfie features of these phones selling like hotcakes.

2. SW10
      Unhappy

Re: Why this form factor?

I don't get it. Even though I had a RAZR back in the day and thought it was the mutt's nuts.

But that was the noughties. Today, the pockets on all my clothes have evolved to accomodate the form factor of most mobiles.

Sammy are asking me to buy something that:

- will disappear too far into my pocket for me to reach without contorting my hands, figures and body;

- is twice as thick; and

- has a mechanical/foldy/likely-to-be-breaky component.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Why this form factor?

Then it's not for you; it's not for me either, though my pockets haven't grown. But you should watch how other people react to it. For many, particularly women, a more compact phone that will fit into a small bag is desirable. I've only seen a couple of non-tech previews but the compact nature did seem to impress a lot of people and the folding away will probably mean fewer smashed screens. This has to be balanced with the unknown wear and tear of the folding screen.

9. Gil Grissum

Not compelled to overpay for a smartphone.

Wont be getting one.

1. Elina Thampson

Re: Not compelled to overpay for a smartphone.

But it is not required to overpay for a smartphone. There are many sites where you can like new one like Used Mobiles 4 U.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like