back to article Xerox ups bid in hostile takeover of HP Ink to more than $36.5bn

The mini saga that is Xerox's effort to financially charm the pants off HP Inc shareholders has taken a new twist – the copier biz is upping its bid to more than $36.5bn. Xerox confirmed to The Register today that it will raise the offer to $24 per share, higher than the previously tabled $22, on or around 2 March 2020. This …

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

These stockholders consistently state that they want the enhanced returns, improved growth prospects their shares loaded with more debt and best-in-class human capital made redundant and replaced with the cheapest that can be found

FTFY

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Or....

Takeover HP Inc. Sue HPE over the whole Autonomy saga and get HPE "free".

Regardless of whether Xerox succeeds with this takeover, I suspect there are lean times ahead of HP Inc. Almost to the point where the hostile takeover may be the least painful option.

1. BillG
        Devil

FIFY

HP has so far rejected multiple advances, saying the price undervalued its business...

...because it did not include enough bribes "executive compen$ation" to HP's board.

2. Tom 35

Xerox will borrow even more money and give it to rich bastards so they can walk away with bags of cash while HP and Xerox sink under the debt. To soon join the likes of RCA.

2. fidodogbreath

HPOX?

Two large legacy companies that continue to exist mostly due to inertia. Combining them will mostly ensure that the inevitable collapse will be one giant job-implosion instead of two large ones.

1. Youngone Silver badge

Re: HPOX?

It may be an attempt to consolidate the industry to the point where competition is limited.

They will then be able to raise prices to pay off all the debt.

1. katrinab Silver badge
        Meh

Raise what prices?

People are still buying the loss-making printer hardware, but a lot less of the profitable ink.

As an example, I bought a Canon laser printer 3 years ago. I've used 30% of the ink. So when it runs out, it will probably be about 10 years old, and very likely, I will just replace the printer.

2. WillCunningham

FWIW my mum has been with HP for 20+ years and she anticipates the consumer PC side will be "spun off" into a different brand if this goes through.

Could be some losses, but I expect moreso on the Enterprise/Printing side.

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"best-in-class human capital"

Where ? The ones that were laid off because they had the experience and a salary to match ? They're gone.

What's left has either been hired from the bottom of the salary pit or stayed in HP simply because not good enough to command a high salary.

There is no more best-of-class at HP. There's just couldn't-find-another-job.

1. Donn Bly

Re: "best-in-class human capital"

I am sure that there are still some "best of class" staff at HP, especially those who have honed their BOFH skills over the years of those who have documented where the bodies are buried.

4. GSTZ

Once upon a time, HP was the no. one IT vendor worldwide - but now that seems very long ago ...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That Much, Eh?

"They" say that "Inkjet Inks" cost more-than GOLD.Shorely, NOT THAT MUCH!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

takeover of HP Ink - I see what you did here

Original HP Ink is expensive, but wow, $36.5 billion.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Rosland Ink

When actor William Devane starts telling me to invest in ink and ink cartridges as a safeguard to wealth, I'm all in.

Till then, beware of tulips.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like