back to article Latest battery bruiser Android from budget Moto G range appears ahead of MWC after an Amazon whoopsie

Motorola will put the lengthy battery-life Power version of its upcoming Moto G8 range on British shelves later this month, after the specs for the latest handsets in its £200-ish budget 'droid "G" line were leaked earlier this week after a rogue Amazon listing went live. Two days after the Smoke Black and Capri Blue models …

1. Zola

Still no wireless charging that costs pennies to include?

Shame. No sale, I'll hang on to my existing device in that case.

1. Tom Chiverton 1

Re: Still no wireless charging that costs pennies to include?

Everyone has a USB socket and/or cable. Random power charging mats not so much.

2. IGotOut Silver badge

The same wireless chargers that use the same power supply and connection this requires?

1. Zarno

I think that's part of it. Till phones become fully waterproof without ports, it makes sense to use the port.

I had wireless charge in my Droid MAXX, it was cool for the first week or two, then I slowly stopped using it.

The biggest issue being it wouldn't work optimally through a good shock-proof case, and was finicky with the orientation to keep it charging. Was also slower to charge.

I'm not knocking it, it worked fine, but not having it included is not a deal breaker for me when handset shopping.

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge
      Stop

Looks like it's time to post this again.

Wireless charging may cost pennies to include, but it wastes pounds of electricity that we barely make enough of and generally use coal to get.

Stop the nonsense.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Personally I'm happy with magnetic connectors. reduce wear & tear on the USB and are a doddle to connect/disconnect.

2. Allonymous Coward

Reckon I can get another year or so out of my G6 Play

After which this might be my next phone.

3. Pangasinan Philippines

Can't hear you!

help to our headphoneless pals on the bus who so generously give of their bounty.

As someone who lost hearing in one ear, That's how I would listen. Mind you, with the volume very low and the phone to the (good) ear.

Using earphones would only give one channel audio, also block out extraneous sounds that one needs to hear.

1. John Miles

Re: Can't hear you!

Have you tried switching to mono on Android, usually too much effort for when I am out walking and pull one ear bud out to hear the vehicles when doing short stretches on the road (and often doesn't really matter, but can be a pain when people speaking are on different channels)

2. Alistair
      Windows

Can I suggest a bone conduction headset?

At least for one of my associates, where the deafness is the result of a severely damaged eardrum, they provide a stereo experience. And often, they don't cut off one's ability to hear the environment. I'm coming to love my Aftershokz bluetooth.

3. AIBailey

I use Poweramp as my media player. Amongst the plethora of options is a toggle to mix audio to mono.

No need to inflict your music on anyone else.

4. EricPodeOfCroydon

So buy one of the many earphones which combine both stereo channels into one ear? My wife has one for cycling, so she can listen to death metal and still hear what's going on around her.

4. Ian 55

G2, G4, G6 here, so it would be the logical thing to get..

.. except that a 21% discount on the Pixel 3a last autumn seduced me to get one and I'm happy for the next couple of years.

5. Timbo

If only the battery was removeable or easily user-replaceable...but otherwise a really nice feature list.

It'll be sure to raise the bar to the opposition. Just have to get one before the £ sterling sinks against the US$

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Samsung Xcover Pro with it's 4050mah removable battery. But it's at 500 euros. :(

6. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    Meh

Battery life is an illusion

It's the apps running on the phone that take the most power, are you running google maps and navigating, keeping Facebook up, exchanging pictures via a cell phone link, or any other power hungry app? Remove all apps and the phone life improves immensely.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Battery life is an illusion

Power modes (CPU thread throttling) also seem to help. Though that might be more the wifi/screen power us.

2. Bronek Kozicki
      Megaphone

Don't even need to remove the apps. Just review the "running in the background" permissions and put the phone down.

My BlackBerry KEY2 has only 3.5Ah and can work on a single charge between 2 or (sometimes) 3 days. I attribute this batter life to the fact that I am not constantly glued to it. Sometimes it is indeed just 1 day but that would be exceptional situations, e.g. when I need tethered internet or GPS navigation for the whole day.

3. Andy Nugent

In that case, why bother buying a smartphone?

4. Steve Graham

On my 2-year-old budget phone (Nokia 5) the biggest battery drain is wifi. If I turn it off, except, say, for an hour's use a day, a full recharge lasts a week or more. Except if I forget to "force stop" Google Play Store after turning wireless off each time.

Bluetooth and GPS are permanently on. The latter means that Google are lying to us (quelle surprise) when they characterize GPS as high battery drain and sniffing wifi hotspots as low.

(Most of my day is spent with a computer in reach, so I don't need to use the phone so much for internet. Your lifestyle may vary.)

1. Martin an gof Silver badge

I have an original Moto G, six years old and now needing replacing due to a cracked screen (oops). Other than that it's been great and by nuking all the data slurping apps and turning off most of the radios I achieved run times of at least a week in the early days (9 or 10 days with care), and even now it will do three or four days without too much trouble. The phone is now on LineageOS.

WiFi definitely uses battery, but it's fairly closely tied to browsing - leaving WiFi on but not using Fennec or Opera is fairly frugal. Browsing does begin to hammer it though.

I find GPS uses quite a bit of battery too - running a GPS tracker definitely shortens life, and if I forget to turn GPS off when I've finished with the tracker, I will eventually wonder why the battery is depleting quicker than normal.

I've been seriously considering the G7 Power as a replacement. 4GB RAM, 64GB flash, eight cores and a 5000mAh battery. It has a slightly so-so screen, no depth sensor on the main camera, WiFi is 2.4GHz only and there's no NFC (not that I use that) but for around £140 it's pretty good value. Shame it seems to be end-of-line and I can't afford it this month...

M.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yes!

I'm looking for a second device, mainly as a wifi/mobile hotspot. Also, the long battery time might be interesting for a CCTV/dash cam and having some fun modding/trying different things to play with it to do. I wonder though if that 5000mah translates to more than 1 days use? ;)

1. Chris 193

Re: Yes!

I've had a G7 power (dual sim, same 5000mah rated battery) for the last 6 months, it's never given less than 3 days from a full charge, even with heavy daily use of maps, calls, and social media. Whilst off work for a week, and mostly at home, it lasted 7 days on a single charge. Best part, at £160 from Argos it's proved to be an absolute bargain.

8. Piro Silver badge

What's with these huge phones

Has everyone grown freakish hands? I don't get it.

If they made this thing at a reasonable size (<140mm tall) then I'd be in.

As it is, I've got two Xiaomi Redmi 4X, and I plan to ride them as long as I can... big battery, reasonable size, decent feature set.

1. AMBxx Silver badge
      Unhappy

Re: What's with these huge phones

I have very large hands.

Sadly, my pockets are far too small for these giant phones. I miss my Lumia 520.

2. katrinab Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

The men in my office seem to think that my iPhone 8+ is a typical girl's phone, and they have phones about the size of the 8 non-plus version.

I guess my hands are so small that even with an iPhone SE I would use it with both hands.

3. Gordon 10
      FAIL

Agreed. Fail for Moto

Its a piece of piss to include more battery when your phone is now the size of a small tablet. (remember Phablets?).

How about making something sensibly sized ie under 5.8" diagonal?.

9. rec71

No NFC

Shame they couldn't stretch to including NFC. I've become rather attached to using Android Pay.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: No NFC

Are you sure? The G7+ has NFC ( I know because I use it to pay for things ).

1. rec71

Yep, the G8 Power doesn't have it. Says so on the website spec page. Only the plus models and (I think) Amazon specials have NFC.

Such a shame as I love Moto Gs and that battery is a killer feature.

2. TKW

I don't know why you're being downvoted ... Google Pay is really useful, and the Moto G Power doesn't include it.

10. taxman

Working outdoors

...in the UK it is really useful having a phone that can stand being used in rain - often. Shame this phone is only rain resistant (so would need drying off thoroughly before being put int a pocket again).

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I miss the Lenovo P2

I really wish they would make a modern Lenovo P2. That was the perfect size (5.5"), have a 5000mah batter and a fantastic OLED screen. It even had wireless charging and NFC. The only downside was a poor (but acceptable) camera. The closes I have found to it is the Samsung M30s which has a 6000mah battery, OLED screen, NFC (only the S version has NFC) and is on Amazon for £229. But again the camera is poor, no wirelss charging (not a deal breaker) and it's huge at 6.4".

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like