back to article Boss planning to tear you a new one? Google Glass is back: Weird workwear aimed at devs, but on sale to all

From today, you can now buy a Glass Enterprise 2 - the latest iteration of Google's wearable computer - from a general hardware reseller. Previously it could only be obtained from an accredited Google supplier. Google Glass has a chequered history: Launched in 2013, the original concept was augmented reality for everyone. …

1. Brian Miller

640x360 display??

All these advances over the decades, and we don't even get CGI resolution??

1. MiguelC Silver badge

Re: 640x360 display??

That's better than CGA, and even EGA (close call there), but worse than VGA...

1987 FTW!

2. doublelayer Silver badge

Admittedly, it's a really small screen, so the pixel density will be a lot higher. As I've never used one, I don't know whether the low resolution is evident when looking at the screen.

1. John Robson Silver badge

It's still only 640*360...

So it will either be seen as a very small screen, or a very pixellated one...

2. O RLY

Privacy of others

"On the other side of the argument, the question is whether it will ever be possible to fulfil the promise of the original concept while respecting the privacy of others."

Privacy or Google. Pick one.

1. steelpillow Silver badge
      Thumb Down

Re: Privacy of others

They already know what I am looking at whenever I am online, now they will know 24/7.

Maybe I'll stick to dumb glass for now.

And I am sure there will be enterprises who feel the same way.

1. JDX Gold badge

I thought it was fairly clear from the article that it doesn't send everything to Google, but lets the organisation deploying them control all that via whichever custom application they develop/install.

1. Zack Mollusc

Good point. There is no way for an operating system to intercept the data of an application running on it.

1. Psmo

Had to read that twice.

2. Steve Crook

It gives a whole new meaning to Google Streetview

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Indeed, Google Street View may be considerably improved by this. Glasses owners are out of luck though with faces and text blurred out everywhere they look. :-) (Use case: janitor service at a nudist colony?)

3. JohnFen

I have a use case

I have a use case that Google Glass would be perfect for. I haven't yet found another product that can do the same thing as well. However, my main question is -- can this new iteration of the thing be used without involving Google servers? If so, then this is something I would be willing to pay largish money for. If not, then this is a nonstarter.

1. karlkarl Silver badge

Re: I have a use case

"iteration of the thing be used without involving Google servers?"

No; you can't even upload your own code onto the machine without begging them for DRM developer licenses.

1. JohnFen

Re: I have a use case

Oh well, it was a nice thought. Thanks!

4. SVV

Nobody is likely to object to Google Glass on an assembly line or in a warehouse

They are once the time & motion people realise that the time saved glancing at a screen for their next task means that they can potentially pick x% more items per hour, and their expected performance targets get increased. This can be nicely combined with warnings delivered silently and directly into their eyeballs, if their now even more easily monitored performance drops even slightly below that level. I also think the psychological effect of being so constantly exposed to instructions beamed at your eyes all day could be pretty horrific.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nobody is likely to object to Google Glass on an assembly line or in a warehouse

"Spreadsheet cell ZZ9ZZA, your allotted 2.187 minute daily refreshment break is over, please exit the lavatory now. Non-compliance will result in forced movement by your exoskeleton."

2. Kiwi
      Black Helicopters

Re: Nobody is likely to object to Google Glass on an assembly line or in a warehouse

Try reading Manna by Marshall Brain

It took me a bit to find this, but I read it some years back and I guess enough stuck for specific enough terms.

I don't know how close it will prove to be in time (especially the ending as I recall it), but I can see some of the earlier bits coming into play now - and this thing with the new "glass" sounds quite like the ideas expressed in this story.

--> We don't really have an icon to show the future we're headed for, with monitoring beyond Orwell's worst nightmare/greatest wet dream. The only thing he missed is it's corporate monitoring more than government.

5. Cave-Homme
    Big Brother

Orwellian tech.

Nuff said.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If you want to look at me whilst you're wearing these ...

... please provide me with a GDPR Consent Form in triplicate before you do so.

7. jake Silver badge

Oh, goody.

The return of the glassholes. Now with extra spyware.

8. iron Silver badge
    Mushroom

> In May 2019, Google launched Glass Enterprise Edition 2, with... Android 8.0 Oreo

Man these third party, landfill Android manufacturers just can't be relied upon to release devices with the current version. Android 9 had been out for 9 months at that point!

Oh wait.

9. parperback parper

"On the other side of the argument, the question is whether it will ever be possible to fulfil the promise of the original concept while respecting the privacy of others."

Well, a simple first step would be not to have a camera on it.

1. scarper

The Camera isn't the privacy problem

The privacy problem is that onlookers don't know if the camera is in use, so they assume it is.

The solution: whenever the camera is operating, a bright LED should be visible to anyone in the line of sight. Something hard wired, so that it can't be hacked to "off".

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: The Camera isn't the privacy problem

You've heard of gaffer tape, right?

Anyway, if you modify your behaviour because you think you're being recorded, then, consider yourself record. CCTV, etc, etc.

10. Intractable Potsherd

Wrong marketing, thankfully.

Having been around lots of new parents for the last four years, I'm fairly certain that if Google had marketed the Glass at this group of people in the first place, they would be everywhere and privacy would never have entered the buyers' heads.

11. PapaD

The problem with removing the camera

Is that it's very hard to do augmented reality stuff that overlays whats in the background/in front of you, without using some means of image recording.

If you want a virtual desktop/keyboard/CAD setup, the augmented reality device needs to know where the solid things in front of you actually are.

They will always end up with some form of camera fitted.

1. parperback parper

Re: The problem with removing the camera

And yet you don't need a camera to have the weather forecast pop up on a HUD

1. Truckle The Uncivil

I don't want the camera removed. I want the camera to compete with improperly managed and edited police cams.

The only way to defeat the surveillance society is to surveil it back.

1. codemonkey
          Meh

I agree. Transparency at every level. If you want "privacy", stay indoors. There's no law against recording anyone, in a public setting. I'd go full broadcast. Bit steep though, for what is a go-pro with a cruddy display.

12. Kiwi
    Devil

Mechanics

including mechanics with manuals in their line of sight

For the given price, that's a long time to pay off!

Few weeks back I was asked to do some work on a model of bike I'd not heard of, let alone seen. Several faults from sitting, brakes needed serious work, clutch was seized, carbs needed cleaning, fuel pump wasn't working (yes some bikes have part of the tank below the height of the carbs so use a pump), and a couple of electrical faults as well. Bike was in bits when I got it.

I set about to work on it.. Brakes were straightforward, strip, clean lines (compressed air needed here), clean callipers, clean and re-build masters (both needed new seals). Cars didn't hold any surprises. Same for the clutch, take the cover off, disassemble the basket and eventually you'll find the stuck plates. Gentle work to free them.

I did need a manual.. It's a bike with a lot of plastic fairing and I'd not seen it intact. A few bits I couldn't work out where they went.

By the time a mechanic completes their apprenticeship they'll have plenty enough experience to fix most faults without referring to a manual.

Back when I did my apprenticeship I could repair many TVs, VCRs, CDs etc simply by past experience and common faults. Service manuals were expensive, treated like gold, and seldom needed.

The public doesn't really know how people with experience can find their way around unfamiliar engines/circuits with relative ease, even though they could do the same in fields they are familiar with. Someone really is trying hard to sell this things as being acceptable, rather than the nasty privacy invasion they are.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like