back to article The show Musk go on: Elon asks Uncle Sam to let him fly his Starship over Texas, scores fat NASA contract

Pop-star accomplice Elon Musk on Tuesday indicated he hopes to fly his Starship over Texas – and pocketed a major deal to launch a satellite for NASA. The billionaire SpaceX supremo-slash-techno-hobbyist hopes to take Starship to the Moon and beyond with people on-board, eventually. For now, according to documents filed with …

1. Charles W.E. Johnson

Techno Hobbiest?

Really? Musk seem to be the only competent space provider in the U.S.A right now.

1. Davidmb

Re: Techno Hobbiest?

Surprised you got upvoted, when the words "techno-hobbyist" are a link to this piece. That techno.

2. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Rocket Lab may launch from New Zealand but are in fact an American company. Estes Industries also makes some excellent rockets but I have not heard of one getting over 61km - well below Branson's idea of space. Perhaps if someone makes a three stage Estes rocket...

1. MachDiamond Silver badge

"well below Branson's idea of space"

You mean the 80km mark instead of the international standard of 100km being the threshold of space so his rocket plane riders can call themselves "astronauts"?

2. Muscleguy

Rocketlab may be an American company now but the idea and tech to 3D print a rocket engine was the brainchild of two New Zealand engineers who realised they needed investment money.

3. adam 40 Silver badge
      FAIL

I'm disappointed that Musk's spaceship has to fly atop a chemical rocket - I thought it might run on batteries.....

" I thought it might run on batteries....."

Panasonic pulled out of the partnership so chemicals it is.

2. macjules

...hopes to take Starship to the Moon and beyond with people on-board

I am sure it will be a grand day out.

1. PerspexAvenger

Re: ...hopes to take Starship to the Moon and beyond with people on-board

Well part of the Dragon test payload was a wheel of cheese, so they're on-message there...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: ...hopes to take Starship to the Moon and beyond with people on-board

>I am sure it will be a grand day out.

It looks a cracking contraption, let's hope he's wearing the right trousers as it could be a close shave between a matter of loaf and death.

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Go Falcon !

And great mention of Carl Sagan's Pale Blue Dot ! If more people realized just how vulnerable we all are, maybe the suffering, poverty and wars would decrease.

1. phuzz Silver badge
      Mushroom

Re: Go Falcon !

"If more people realized just how vulnerable we all are, maybe the suffering, poverty and wars would decrease."

This is human beings we're talking about. It would probably make the fighting worse once they realised how little there is to go around.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Devil

Re: Go Falcon !

Not to mention Trump would get annoyed because he couldn't see his wall from space.

4. bpfh
    Boffin

can he get permission for LOHAN?

What actually happened to her after the Spaceport America jaunt fell apart? Has she at least become a gate guardian at Vulture HQ?

5. imanidiot Silver badge
    Headmaster

Nope

*Pedant alert*

"If the launch goes according to plan, it'll be the highest Starship has flown, marking a milestone for Musk."

No it won't be. StarHopper (as it's been nicknamed) wasn't Starship. This new test vehicle won't be Starship proper either. So Starship hasn't flown, and won't fly, until an actual Starship flies.

==> It might not be grammar related, but I'm sure it's pedantic ==>

6. Alister

Fly me to the moon

Fly me to the Moon,

Let me play amongst the stars

Watch as Elon Musk attempts to

land a ship on Mars

In other words, hold my beer,

Starship, your time is near.

7. Alistair
    Windows

Well I remember

a Starship concert where most of the audience was already flying about the moon.......

(yeah, a whole lot of iterations there)

(yeah, old fart I am)

8. Big Al 23

Come fly me

I feel sorry for any naut flying on SpaceX hardware.

1. Intractable Potsherd

Re: Come fly me

Why?

"Why?"

Big, badda boom,

2. Muscleguy

It's wrong to wish on SpaceX hardware. As Kirsty MacColl almost sang.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like