back to article Where do you draw the line? Escobar Inc doubles down on cut-price gold phone buying demographic with second pholdable

Pablo Escobar was a lot of things. Folk hero. Terrorist. Murderer. Drug kingpin. Revered and reviled in equal measure. Now, almost 30 years after his death, his younger brother is keeping his flame alive – with foldable phones. Yesterday, Escobar Inc, the company created to manage the Escobar family's assets, announced the …

1. iron Silver badge

If they really cared about 'elf and safety they wouldn't have had all that plastic surgery.

2. Qarumba

Made Me Laugh Out Loud

"My goal is to become the overstock kingpin of electronical devices..."

"electronical devices" ...aha ha ha ha ha...

1. Tom Chiverton 1

Re: Made Me Laugh Out Loud

You try speaking in your non-native language and see how many minor errors slip out...

1. Qarumba

Re: Made Me Laugh Out Loud

I probably wouldn't bother trying but thanks for taking offence on behalf of someone who has benefitted enormously from misery and death. Your virtue signalling will be rewarded somewhere.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cheaper

Than an iPhone, y'know

1. macjules
      Happy

Re: Cheaper

At least with Escobar Phones you know you are dealing with a tyrannical, domineering corporation intent upon world domination in the luxury goods sector with overpriced tat.

4. JakeMS
    Happy

My next phone!

Well I've found my next phone!

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: My next phone!

Just, if it breaks, keep away from the complaints department. They’re entirely staffed by "problem solvers"...

1. Alumoi Silver badge

Re: My next phone!

Troubleshooters, not problem solvers.

5. DavCrav

"Revered and reviled in equal measure."

I suspect that the mass murderer isn't revered and reviled in perhaps equal measure.

1. doublelayer Silver badge

Well, as mass murderers go, he had a pretty good PR department. He invested a bunch of money into making people's lives better so they'd protect him, and when your worth is measured in the billions, you can inject a lot of money into an area without noticing much. He also was a prolific briber, willing to give large sums if he wanted something from you. Of course, his slogan was "Plata o plomo" (silver or lead), so it was not very fun when you didn't take the bribe. Still, unless you personally received the lead and you lived in an area he needed support from, you would be more likely to know him for the investment and good publicity. The result being that some still think fondly of him. Oh, and Colombia wasn't the most entertaining of places in the 1980s, so he had a lot of well-skilled competition for person who people fear and hate the most.

6. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

If the Escobar brand [hone takes off commercially I wonder if some enterprising soul in Blighty might try something similar....Kray Computers anyone?

1. NoneSuch Silver badge
      Thumb Up

"If the Escobar brand [hone takes off commercially I wonder if some enterprising soul in Blighty might try something similar....Kray Computers anyone?"

Ronnie Biggs Travel Agency?

7. 0laf
    Paris Hilton

I'd buy that for a dollar

Well the advertising works for me, I'll take two.

Does it still come in the Escobar special delivery 1kg case via unregistered light aircraft?

Just checking, for a friend you understand.

1. druck Silver badge
      Pirate

Re: I'd buy that for a dollar

Nah, old hat. They are now delivered to the seaport or navigable river of your choice, by narco-sub.

8. Graham Lockley

'Comments are turned off'

Well what a suprise

9. Pirate Dave Silver badge
    Pirate

Aw, damn it. I don't have any tattoos, so can't buy this phone. Pity.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You draw the line with your credit card.

11. Sandtitz Silver badge
    Trollface

Tackiest phone ever?

"This is arguably the tackiest phone ever conceived."

My Vertu Signature Cobra disagrees with this comment.

12. IGotOut Silver badge
    Coat

I'm thinking of releasing one....

...under Jaguar cars earlier name.

SS Phones should be ok? Even have designed the winged logos and everything.

I was going for deity branded phone, but apparently ISIS us already trademarked.

13. IneptAdept

Still less criminal than Apple

Even as much as he was a criminal, he probably did less damage to people than Apple, Samsung and all the others combined.

The reason no one went against Escobar is because he gave them a living wage, supported the families of those that died / incarcerated while working for him

Where as all the current tech companies would just drop you and your family

I am not saying he was good or a pillar of virtue, just some of the tech companies could learn from his employee care programs

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Escobar ... all the current tech companies would just drop you and your family

And just out of curiosity, how was it that Escobar and his valued employees "dropped" people who got in their way, exactly?

2. macjules

Re: Still less criminal than Apple

"no one went against Escobar is because he gave them a living wage"

If you went against him you certainly did not get a living wage.

14. the Jim bloke
    Trollface

So when will El Reg be given one for a hands-on review?

Probably with clear instructions on what they expect to see written, and clear implications of what will happen otherwise.

15. spudmasterflex
    Coat

The reception is terrible on these, I only barley get one escobar of signal indoors.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like