back to article Cheap as chips? Not for much longer, analysts reckon, after rough year for memory makers

The roller coaster ride that is the semiconductor industry suffered its worst annual slump in almost two decades in 2019 – and is now braced for the potential disruptions caused by the outbreak of the coronavirus. According to freshly laid figures from the Semiconductor Industry Association (SIA), global revenues plunged 12 …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Or it it couldn't come (coronavirus) at a more convenient time to allow us to slash production and jack up prices without those pesky competition authorities poking their noses in and accusing us of cartelism.

2. K

A saying comes to mind

"Make the most of a crisis.."

3. IneptAdept

Where was the 32% drop

I am not sure where the 32% drop in price of RAM came and went because I bloody missed it

1. ckdizz

Re: Where was the 32% drop

In November I rebuilt all three workstations in my office to move to the new Ryzen chips and 128gb DDR4 cost less than half the price it did 18 months prior when we bought first gen Ryzen. The drop in end consumer pricing was much higher than 32%, and not only that but the RAM were got was rated faster and used Samsung B-die chips instead of the Hynix in the old modules.

In fact, because RAM was a secondary reason for the upgrade and made up so much of the cost, the low prices were one of the main reasons we did it then.

We don’t even need that much, but 128gb was cheaper than 64gb back when we did the other builds. So what the hell.

4. W.S.Gosset

[Red pen] Typo?

> But Sammy reckons the rut could soon be over.

"rout" probably intended there?

Not really long enough to be a rut.

1. dfsmith

Re: [Red pen] Typo?

Given the bacon analogy, maybe he was thinking runt?

5. ckdizz

Oh my God, Samsung only made $23bn. What ever will they do?!?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>Oh my God, Samsung only made $23bn. What ever will they do?!?

Flog you another phone and support it for even less time than it takes an electron to orbit a nucleus.

6. Oh Homer
    Windows

So let me get this straight...

Manufacturers are shifting more boxes than ever, specifically because prices have finally reached sane levels, and meanwhile they continue to make billions in profit.

And this is a problem because ... it's Y billion instead of X billion.

[Checks bank account]

Excuse me while I get out the world's smallest violin.

7. This post has been deleted by its author

1. phuzz Silver badge

Re: Pork cycle

"I am not involved in bacon or semiconductor production though do purchase both."

Ham and chips?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like