back to article Somewhere, Google's financial bods are playing on repeat... What do you want from me? It's not how it used to be...

Google's parent Alphabet on Monday reported $162bn in revenue for its 2019 fiscal year, up 18 per year over year, and $46bn in revenue for its fourth quarter, up 17 per cent. That was less than the $163bn and $47bn Wall Street analysts on average had expected, and the disappointment showed in an after-hours stock price decline …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

$162bn in revenue for 2019

And to think the US Government threw a hissy fit over AT&T when it was only making $3bn annually.

1. ThomH

Re: $162bn in revenue for 2019

Profit is an issue only if paired to some other offence; in AT&T's case it was cross-subsidising — using profit from one subsidiary to distort competition in other markets.

That said, the Wikipedia link you provide says AT&T had $3bn revenue annually "in the 1950s and 1960s". Let's take the absolute worst case and say it had that revenue in 1950. That's still 'only' $31.82bn today. So $162bn is somewhat frightening.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

others ...

Does someone has an idea how much Google map / Waze brings in in Add revenue per quarter ?

and Health Add revenue of Fixbit , android health app/gear ?

3. Sil

Unless I'm mistaken, Google Cloud = GCP + SaaS such as G Suite.

So like Microsoft, which does not detail Azure sales, Google does not publish GCP sales.

4. katrinab Silver badge
    Flame

Has anyone else noticed that the quality of Google search results has declined a lot recently.

For example, I am looking for a very specific thing, so I will put in a word that should narrow down the search results a lot. Before, it would give me maybe 6 search results in total. Now it will either just ignore that word and give me a load of results that don't include it, or give me results with a completely different word that has a passing resemblance to it.

Also, I quite often need to search Italian stuff. In the past, I would go to google.it and give it some Italian words to search on. Now it tells me that I don't want my mind polluted by all these pesky Italians and gives me a load of English stuff that has zero relevance to what I'm looking for.

1. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge

Agreed, it does seem to be harder to actually find stuff I'm looking for. Yeah there was always a fair chunk of cruft but it used to be further down. These days it seems to be rising to the top.

2. Aladdin Sane

Need to get better at Google-fu.

3. Roj Blake Silver badge

It's almost as though they want you to rely on the paid-for results or something

5. scrubber
    Pirate

Collateral Damage

"an analyst asked whether Pichai had considered revising Alphabet's business structure to further insulate profitable Google businesses from speculative ventures like Waymo that could become a legal liability – if its robo-cars started running over pedestrians, for example."

This is the problem with massive, multination limited liability companies with multi-layered corporate structures. Individuals can only sue a loss making subsidiary with no assets when they are harmed by a company worth over $1tn. Why isn't this the story?

1. }{amis}{
      Holmes

Re: Collateral Damage

Thats why the world needs more laws worded like gdpr as the max fine is calculated as 4% of the turnover of the financial group that the offinding orgnasition belongs to.

Are you, despite being a small company, part of a large group?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I guess they might bung another bob or two in taxes now?

7. Wexford

Scratching around for a Monaco reference but I'm stumped.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like