back to article Shouldn't Uber freeze app accounts to prevent spread of coronavirus by drivers and fares? Oh, OK, it already is

Uber has temporarily suspended the accounts of two drivers and 240 users in Mexico, after both drivers carried a passenger that may have been infected with the coronavirus that has officially killed at least 426 people so far. A user named Norma posted on Twitter an alert she had received from Uber that explained she could not …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Well whaddya know

The day has come when Uber finally did something right.

I never thought I'd see that.

1. Bronek Kozicki

Re: Well whaddya know

I'd hazard a guess that was a bottom-up action.

1. monty75

I'd hazard a guess that was a bottom-up action.

You mean, there's a suppository that cures nv coronavirus?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

The day has come when Uber finally did something right.

Abruptly depriving someone of their livelihood, without any compensation, has serious consequences for them. Doing so because they might have perhaps maybe conceivably had someone who could have imaginably for all one knows had what the ignorant masses doubtless consider to be the plague sitting in on the back seat of their car is unwarranted. What is the likely wider response likely to be?

I'll give you a clue. For a start, anyone with even the slightest sniffle is going to keep their head down and try not to get noticed for fear of losing their job. We are talking Mexico here, with the same sort of social support that we can look forward to under Boris's government.

1. John Robson Silver badge

As opposed to encouraging those same people (who might be host a lethal and contagious pathogen) to interact with a significant number of people in an enclosed space.

London cabs have a glass partition for good reason.

1. Twanky

London cabs have a glass partition for good reason.

Yeah, to stop the drunks puking down the back of the cabbie's neck.

1. BoldMan

EVERY strain of flu is potentially lethal so there is no change there.

2. Grogan Silver badge

Drunk passenger: "Got room for a large pizza and a case of beer up there"?

Driver: "Sure"

Passenger (leaning forward): Baaaaarrrfffff!

2. horse of a different color

Pretty sure the reason is to protect the drivers from thieves, not viruses.

3. macjules
      Unhappy

Not to be sniffed at.

2. Colin Miller
    Flame

compo

I hope (but expect to be disappointed) that Uber will pay the drivers compensation for denying them buisness [can't call it lack of wages].

The riders should also receive money/credits for being denied access to Uber's services

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: compo

hope (but expect to be disappointed) that Uber will pay the drivers compensation for denying them buisness [can't call it lack of wages].

That's the sort of thing a reputable company/responsible self-employed type would have insurance for. But we're talking Uber here.

3. W.S.Gosset
    Devil

China sneezes

and the world catches cold

1. Twanky
      Boffin

Re: China sneezes

Scorflufus has struck!

2. macjules

Re: China sneezes

... and the rest of the world evacuates its citizens.

Except Brazil.

4. jmch Silver badge
    Thumb Up

This is probably the only time ever...

... that I'm giving a thumbs up to Uber

1. Venerable and Fragrant Wind of Change

Re: This is probably the only time ever...

More to the point, to the technology infrastructure that makes it possible. What if the suspect had instead travelled by bus, or old-fashioned taxi?

On a related subject, are the pilot and crew of the plane that flew Brits back from Wuhan now in quarantine with the passengers who shared their air?

1. gnasher729 Silver badge

Re: This is probably the only time ever...

It’s all a matter of distance. You can transmit the virus over a few metres. The pilot would be absolutely safe. Nearby passengers, no.

2. W.S.Gosset

Re: Plane quarantine

> are the pilot and crew of the plane that flew Brits back from Wuhan now in quarantine with the passengers who shared their air?

Dunno about the Brit plane, but the Aussie one had the crew and passengers quarantined from each other for the whole flight/process. Different decks, food served before boarding, etc.

1. W.S.Gosset

And all the passengers are now in quarantine on iirc Christmas Island.

(As is par for the course nowadays, the passengers "of Chinese heritage" are protesting that not being allowed to go straight home is racism.)

1. Cardinal

I remember back in the day, that prior to landing in Oz (or before disembarking), stewardesses holding an aerosol can in each hand would march down the plane aisles from fore to aft spraying above the heads of the seated passengers. Can't remember why (probably to protect agriculture), but wonder if there may be something similar planned for possible Corona laden cabin air before the doors are opened?

You definitely felt like a pretty unwelcome plague carrier anyway as the clouds of whateveritwas fell silently upon you as you tried to hold your breath.

1. OssianScotland

BA certainly used to do that when leaving Indian airports - the CC would run (not walk) down each aisle holding a spray can of something well behind them.

I always felt they knew something us self-loading-freight didn't about what was in the cans

5. 9Rune5
    Alert

Yes! Let them...

...ride the bus instead.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like