back to article Vendor-bender LibreOffice kicks out 6.4: Community project feel, though now with added auto-█████ tool

The Document Foundation has updated its free and open-source LibreOffice suite to 6.4, which it describes as "performance focused", though there are also new features. LibreOffice is a large office suite, and there are seven applications included: Writer for word processing, Calc for spreadsheets, Draw, Impress for …

1. oiseau
    Facepalm

Understatement

... and a largely pointless LibreOffice Start Centre ...

Indeed ...

Happy to see I'm not the only one who thinks it's nothing but bloat.

O.

1. DarkwavePunk

Re: Understatement

Agreed. I don't think I've ever thought "I'm going to do something productive today but I don't know what it is, let's launch a launcher!".

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You obviously haven't drunk the right kool-aid.

Microsoft office has one, so every office suite needs one. :)

You are supposed to launch it full screen and it becomes your desktop and gives you access to all the applications you every need. Or so I was told when my employers decided to go full Office 365 and we had our training.

1. Doctor Huh?

"You are supposed to launch it full screen and it becomes your desktop and gives you access to all the applications you every need."

I remember when EMACS embodied this philosophy. Of course, in an era pre-dating shell history, integrated applications, etc., running everything through EMACS represented a huge improvement in productivity and in the user experience.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

I don't remember even thinking "let's design a launcher".

1. Tom 7

There's that word again 'design'. The opposite of 'engineering'.

2. Horridbloke

"There are several different ways to start this office suite and our users find this really confusing! Let's give them another one!".

3. GrahamRJ

I do. But the sentence continued "... for the joker who designed this, with landing set for the Mount Etna crater".

2. Antron Argaiv Silver badge
      Windows

Well, at least it doesn't have a menu item "Insert online video" like Word does.

In a word processor? It's pointless. Because, depending on when/who/where the recipient is, the online video will be taken down/blocked/in a foreign language, or, of course, if the document is printed, not viewable at all.

Microsoft: bringing you new, exciting features you didn't know you didn't need.

1. oiseau
        Linux

... bringing you new, exciting features you didn't know you didn't need.

Which is why, up to the time I completely stopped using MS OSs (XP-SP3 four years ago?) I was still using was MS-Office '97 SR-2.

O.

1. WallMeerkat
          Go

I secretly like Office 97 as it is a usable office suite but it can also run on NT 3.5.1, the last NT with the old Win3.1 UI, pre-start button (unless you installed NewsHell) which was why it drew it's own controls.

Handy for bringing an old 486 to the coffee shop amongst the Mac hipsters but getting stuff done.

2. TReko

>Microsoft: bringing you new, exciting features you didn't know you didn't need.

Yep and refusing to fix ten year old bugs in Word.

Perhaps it is easier to add new junk features than to fix old core ones?

3. BenDwire Silver badge
      Thumb Up

I always knew I was out of step with most people, but I actually find the start centre useful in my post-retirement mental haze! Click on the launcher, and up comes a page of things I've been working on since last time - most of which I'd forgotten what I'd called them or where I'd filed them. I agree its useless other than that, but I will admit to liking that one feature as it shows a preview of each file.

As I run Debian with Gnome3 and Wayland, every program looks a bit naff font-wise, but I find it a worthwhile trade-off compared to Win10, not to mention the fact that everything stays put where I left it.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

It would be better if it could show a journaled view.

MS Office had this, I think it was in versions up to 2K3 but its not in 2007 and later. I forget MS's rational for removing it.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
          Coat

" I forget MS's rational for removing it."

Because people found it useful?

4. Lazlo Woodbine

It's been there since the days of Star Office when it would replace your desktop, you could even add shortcuts to other programs on the Star Office desktop, still a complete waste of resources even then. No idea why they've persisted with it

1. carlsonjma

The Star Office version was *way* worse than what's there now. I'm glad they've pared it down this much, because the alternate-universe approach was just bonkers.

5. Stuart Castle Silver badge

I am trying to be fair here (used to use Libre office, but have to use MS Office now, as a lot of my work involves Exchange, plus I get MS office for free as well, and have to spend almost no time getting it to work with our servers at work, so I use MS Office out of laziness as much as anything).

So, I haven't used Libre office in a while.

But I question the need for a "launcher" . Maybe it helped with ease of use in the DOS days, when it just provided a menu that replaced the commands the user would otherwise need, but anyone using any recent OS already has a more than capable launcher already installed (be it Finder, Windows Explorer or any Linux desktop).

I'm not too concerned about the "bloat" factor, after all, most launchers are only a few megabytes, and most computers have gigabytes of RAM and potentially terabytes of drive space, so a few megabytes is insignificant. My concern is security, and particularly bugs. Especially if the launcher includes components that run on startup.

6. dmacleo

maybe I looked at it all wrong but seemed to me this "launcher" was just a manner (on windows) to load the suite on startup for a faster application startup when called for.

I don't use the launcher itself but have it installed and set to load on windows startup and it seems to hasten specific app start times.

or I could be way off base.

2. Zolko Silver badge

LibreOffice Draw

The Draw module is far (far far) superior to anything in the MS-Office suite. It's even possible to produce semi-technical drawings to scale. It's my #1 reason to use LibreOffice. Stability is #2.

As #3, LibreOffice UI is conservative, the commands are where they have always been, no need to re-learn everything at each release.

1. GregC

Re: LibreOffice Draw

As #3, LibreOffice UI is conservative, the commands are where they have always been, no need to re-learn everything at each release.

That one is my primary reason for using it (alongside my hate for the ribbon in Office). I have the MS option at work but use LibreOffice out of preference these days.

2. mark l 2 Silver badge

"LibreOffice UI is conservative, the commands are where they have always been, no need to re-learn everything at each release"

I am a massive fan of Libreoffice and before that I used to use OpenOffice. But I do have to disagree about the commands are where they have always been. I cant comment on all the different programs in the LO suite. But certainly in the Draw package - which I used nearly every day - they did move some commands in the menus to sub-menus or different menu completely, if you upgraded from V5.x to V6.x

I know as its taken me a few weeks to retrain myself to find them in their new locations as muscle memory meant i kept looking for them in their old menus.

But generally speaking apart from this little bit of movement in the menu structure I have no issue with the look of the UI. Should you not like the style and colours of the default icons on the LO taskbar you can change them for a few alternative designs from the options or even download additional icon themes to make them look like MS Office should you feel the need to.

If you enable experimental features you can also get icons grouped by contextual or tabbed as well. No doubt this will become a full feature in a future release once the code is more stable.

https://libreofficehelp.com/change-libreoffice-default-look-and-feel/

3. el_oscuro
      Devil

Many years ago, I was working on a project where I had to open a document in Office 2007. What is the very first thing I needed to do? Print it of course. Having never seen the ribbon before, I couldn't find the print button. So I asked the system admin and he admitted he didn't know either. But he gave me a trick: The old DOS shortcut Control-P still worked, along with other standbys like Control-S for save and Control-O for open.

I have been using these ever since, and the work in LibreOffice and practically every other program. I have been ignoring the ribbon ever since. Best productivity gain ever!

1. jgarbo

Yes. The keyboard is amazing, isn't it....</sarc>

4. TonyJ

Stability...can anyone here remember the last time an MS Office product crashed at random? Same with the OS itself? Not a dig - I am genuinely curious - The last time I can bring a crash of, say, Word, to mind was around 13 years ago on a very specific project, and would've been Word 2003.

The ribbon - it always slightly bemuses me that people here hate it so much, yet I have never heard an average user, anywhere, say they wish they could go back to the way the menus used to look.

And does LO still give you the abiolity to enable a ribbon? It was put in (as beta, I believe) a couple of versions or so back

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Had Windows 10 crash repeatedly on one of the sales drones laptop this week. Turned out to be a specific Windows update that I had to roll back.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

I had a problem at a customer site with one Excel spreadsheet that would crash Excel at every load.

Customer was unhappy because the problem was in his backup as well (let's not talk about that, the day would not be enough to explain).

No solution other than to recreate the spreadsheet from scratch. Thankfully, since he used it so much, he knew what was in it, so it didn't take all that long.

Still don't know what he did to corrupt the file.

3. Horridbloke

Re: last time an MS Office product crashed at random?

This morning. Excel 2010. Twice.

1. TonyJ

Re: last time an MS Office product crashed at random?

"..This morning. Excel 2010. Twice..."

Out of interest, tried starting it in safe mode without any plugins running? My recent experiences over the last few years would suggest that it tends to be badly written plugins (or macros) that cause most issues when they do occur.

Or Excel isn't the correct tool and they're running their entire finance department on a 20-year old sheet. :)

4. Zolko Silver badge

Custom fields

"I have never heard an average user, anywhere, say they wish they could go back to the way the menus used to look."

may-be you can help me then: where in MS-Word (2017 I think, not sure, where do you find the "About MS-Word" menu ?) do I find the command "Add field" to add the content of a custom field into my document (like : release version) ? Also: where can I define and edit such custom fields ?

Seriously, I need that a lot and I don't know. Please. In LibreOffice it's Menu > Insert > Field

1. TonyJ

Re: Custom fields

"I have never heard an average user, anywhere, say they wish they could go back to the way the menus used to look."

"may-be you can help me then: where in MS-Word (2017 I think, not sure, where do you find the "About MS-Word" menu ?) do I find the command "Add field" to add the content of a custom field into my document (like : release version) ? Also: where can I define and edit such custom fields ?

Seriously, I need that a lot and I don't know. Please. In LibreOffice it's Menu > Insert > Field

The product about ifnormation really is in a silly place and has been for some time - click File, Account and the version is there.

To insert a field - on my current 365 ProPlus I'm looking at, Click Insert then it's under Text - the icon just to the right of the Text box graphic and text. You have autotext, document properties and fields as an option.

5. LeoP

Yesterday.

6. Paul 33

You obviously don't have it integrated with Sharepoint properly then.

Word and PowerPoint crash constantly when plugged into SP.

I think that's why they added versioning to SP, to allow you to recover from corruptions caused by crashes caused by SP.

3. JDX Gold badge

I do like Libre (though I only use it as a Word replacement) but it really does epitomise FOSS... the interface looks like it was coded by a teenager in 2006. At least on Mac, I haven't run it on Windows for years.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>the interface looks like it was coded by a teenager in 2006.

Where as the ribbon looks like it was coded by an alcoholic who dropped an acid tab while munching on a fist full of Valium.

1. JDX Gold badge

>Where as the ribbon looks like it was coded by an alcoholic who dropped an acid tab while munching on a fist full of Valium.

I think you mean designed. Coding the thing would have been a lot of very skilled work.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Committee

To my mind it looks typical of anything designed, as they say, "by committee". Too many people arguing, consensus, compromise... "let's just put all those features in to be on the safe side".

3. Aussie Doc
        Pint

Oh.

Damn. Hate it when folks look over my shoulder when I'm working.

2. Will Godfrey Silver badge

I'm never concerned about what an interface looks like as long as it is clear and reasonably intuitive to use.

1. Alumoi Silver badge

So, you too hate ribbon.

2. JDX Gold badge

>I'm never concerned about what an interface looks like as long as it is clear and reasonably intuitive to use.

What it looks like obviously affects how clear the UI is, and also how intuitive it is to an extent... do the icons make sense, are they grouped in the places I might expect to find them, etc.

TBH I never found Ribbon unintuitive except for more advanced features. People put more effort into deliberately not understanding it than in just figuring it out and getting on with their work, in my view. People using Word every day and ranting for hours about something they could just google in 2s.

1. ibmalone

My major problem with ribbon remains that it's enhanced the practice of clicking menus until you find the option you want by replacing the text (which I started learning to read when I was 4) by arbitrary hieroglyphics (which I never learnt to read as I wasn't educated in ancient Egypt, and not all concepts easily translate to a 4mm square picture). It's not utterly awful, but has it improved my life? No. Has it made things slightly more awkward in exchange for making them slightly prettier? Yes.

As for googling, it's not two seconds, is it? It's a couple of seconds to open a browser window and type some appropriate string (maybe), followed by at least half a minute of looking through the results, reading something that looks appropriate, refining your search and then trying to find the bit you want in a rambling CNET article written in 2008 for an older version of Word. That's not the best productivity trade-off.

2. Terry 6 Silver badge

Spot on. Last night I tried to use a couple of FOSS video editors.*

Simple controls, like putting a marker/handle where I wanted to end/fade a clip couldn't be found. And the help file said something to the effect "place the handle where you want to...... " ( which was what I was trying to do), without any explanation/picture about how to find or move said handle.

*Small one-off job that can't justify buying a programme.

3. Paul 33

Is adding a page / section break an advanced feature??? Really?

I feel much better about myself now....Advanced Word User.

3. holmegm

A smart teenager who like usability and doesn't care for needless change? I'm good with that.

1. Snake Silver badge

A question of perspective

I think the OP's point is to open a discussion on the interpretation of "needless".

2. JDX Gold badge

>A smart teenager who like usability and doesn't care for needless change? I'm good with that.

No. Coders do NOT as a rule understand usability. Interfaces put together by coders are generally horrible for anyone who isn't a coder, sometimes for anyone but THE coder who wrote it. They take the view "just learn how it works" or "once you learn these 35 key shortcuts it'll be fine".

The Libre interface is mainly only dated stylistically but most FOSS projects are far worse.

As a coder myself, I understand the value of using someone skilled at UI/UX and using graphic designers to make the functionality usable by casual users.

1. jelabarre59

As a coder myself, I understand the value of using someone skilled at UI/UX and using graphic designers to make the functionality usable by casual users.

GRAPHICS designers? Nope, they just like making things fancy, not usable. If they were capable of usability, we wouldn't end up with the sort of crap Jony Ive and his ilk come up with.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

"At least on Mac"

A dirty mac?

4. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

The non-overlap will be useful and oddly enough I was discussing QR codes in posters just the other day. However for now it'll just be a step up from 6.2 to 6.3

1. Roland6 Silver badge

You've been able to easily include QR codes in LO for some years now; just install the goQR.me extension (there are probably others if you go looking). Alternatively, just use one of the various QR tools and cut-and-paste the resulting png/jpg image into your LO document.

So I don't actually see the point of this enhancement, other than to p*ss off third-party extension developers.

5. wyleu

Have they upgraded the Android App? The inability to scroll a list of documents outside of one page made it virtually useless. . .

6. oiseau
    Facepalm

... the interface looks like it was coded by a teenager in 2006 ...

Maybe ...

But quite honestly, that's the least of it.

I use it all the time (v5.2.7.2), primarily as a substitute for MSWord and MSExcel but my main complaint is with long standing bugs/usability issues and this never ending bloat.

I think they should have stopped at v6.0 and instead concentrated on pending matters and thining down the code instead of chasing after being fat, shiny, and new like Office.

O.

1. Ken 16 Silver badge

I moved over to WPS Office years ago - I had enough of format bugs.

1. DJV Silver badge

I moved over FROM WPS Office years ago - I had enough of adverts.

1. Ken 16 Silver badge

There isn't advertising on the Linux version. I agree the Windows version does have annoying ads.

7. red floyd

I use LibreOffice all the time (my main computer is a Linux machine). My biggest issue is the lack of a real outlining mode in Writer.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The document Navigator does reduce the need for it, but the Word outline view is definitely more approachable.

8. Primus Secundus Tertius

Access and One Note

In MS Office I regularly use One Note to prepare the first draft of a document where I am initially not sure what the shape of the final document will be. Its structure of sections and pages allows snippets from many other sources to be parked in a convenient way for later consideration. It has other party tricks. But LO has nothing like it.

Access is much more powerful than LO Base.

These days I do not exchange documents with many other people. But where that is a requirement - e.g. the city of Munich and other parts of the German government - the different styles and fonts between MSO and LO are a nuisance.

1. a_yank_lurker

Re: Access and One Note

The last of couple times I used Access, I found it to be a pain to use but then I have used various RDMSes and can write my own SQL. I haven't really used Base but I remember you could connect it to MySQL or MariaDB. One Note and similar applications strike me as something you use a great deal or not at all unlike say a Writer/Calc or Word/Excel which many do lightly use for personal needs.

2. Tom 7

Re: Access and One Note

I have a feeling Base could be really useful - if only I could find out how do the simple things I could do in Access 25 years ago. I'm fairly certain it can do it but I cant. I'm guessing its about 20 lines of code and then it can take over the world.

9. Barry Rueger

Paste special HTML

Please, please, can we change the default when pasting from a Web page to Writer to be "plain text."?

Yes, it can be done somewhere in settings, but seriously is there any common use case where you want Web page formatting carried over to a business documenr?

1. oiseau
      Coat

Re: Paste special HTML

Please, please, can we change the default ...

Hmmm ...

Maybe at LibreOffice Support or LibreOffice Feedback?

O.

2. Mage Silver badge
      Linux

Also possible with a keyboard (Shift-Ctl-Alt-V) which you can change and pick unformatted via Paste Special via right click

Thunderbird is Shift-Ctl-V for unformatted, Ctl-V for Formatted.

I agree, I'd like Ctrl-V to be unformated if from external app, but to be formated if clipboard was Copied from the same document.

So it's not simple.

The only things that annoy me about Writer:

1) Search & Replace can grab focus on autosave.

2) Save As & later open of Doc or DOCX can do strange things to paper breaks or change levels to body text. Save in ODT, SAVEAS in DOCX but don't reopen the DOCX in Writer.

3) It forgets any floating toolbars you have next time you open, even opening a second document.

4) Each document is a full set of windows. I like KATE and Notepad++ sessions with each open doc on a tab.

However after 16 years of Word For Windows, I now only use Writer. I used it on Windows for a while before moving entirely to Linux due to Win10 and even evil updates on Win7.

I used Linux for servers from 1999, but had no incentive to replace NT4.0 and then from April 2002, XP with Desktop Linux. On Desktop Linux only now for laptop and Netbook for 2+ years.

3. Roland6 Silver badge

>Please, please, can we change the default when pasting from a Web page to Writer to be "plain text."?

But thats how MS Word works...

It p*sses me off that in Word, when importing from external sources eg. web and other peoples 'creations' the default isn't paste as plain text.

10. Alan Hope

"The Liberation Serif font, which is the default, does not look good on screen, in Windows at least. The kerning is not quite right, which affects readability."

It's not just Liberation Serif ... LibreOffice cannot kern ANY font correctly: Arial, Times New Roman, etc etc.

I dearly wish they would fix this instead of playing about with things like auto-redaction. And yes, I know we have to forgive LO all its rough edges because it's an open source project, but do none of the code contributors care about the poor typeface rendering?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

bad kerning...

https://xkcd.com/1015/

There's an xkcd for almost everything.

2. eldakka

I prefer monospaced fonts, never have that problem.

1. Tom 7

No - I like the way every font apparently has a special meaning and that that meaning is completely individual to every person.

3. Zolko Silver badge

M$-fonts

"LibreOffice cannot kern ANY font correctly: Arial, Times New Roman, etc etc"

you do know that these are MS fonts, don't you ? I'd not be surprised if MS did the bad kerning in other office suites on purpose.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: M$-fonts

No, they're from Monotype, who I think you'll find know a thing or two about fonts.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

I've waited practically hours for this

Oooh shiny new Arch package has landed.

I'll type this comment whilst it installs along with everything else in the background. Quietly, competently and without getting on my tits and taking bloody ages.

12. Kev99 Silver badge

I actually kinda like LibreOffice EXCEPT for the mail merge process. I tried doing a merge for work using my home computer. LO made MSWord look like a dream. And that is really scary.

13. RAMChYLD

How's the page layout engine tho?

Biggest complain I get from people I try to introduce Libreoffice to is 1. Macros won't run, and 2. The formatting on Word documents run, badly.

Number 2 seems to be the biggest beef, most people complain that if they fix the layout here (or even if they don't), the formatting will invariably be damaged when the document is sent back to our clients (ie images run off the page or to the bottom, text flows are broken, table sizes wrong, etc.). Lesser complains are that the macros for spreadsheets prepared in Excel by the clients fail to run.

One more issue is related to the Office Automation engine. Lots of third party programs we use (ie PV Elite) for some strange reason fires up word and then proceed to put on a flashy show with words and pictures appearing in the document as if it's being typed out by a ghost. However only two people in the office uses that software package. It'll refuse to generate the report if Word isn't present on the system.

The only praise I've heard of LibreOffice so far is that it's darn powerful when used to edit PDF files in Draw.

We're trying to switch people over to Libreoffice at where I work. Half of them want Office back because of the above three issues.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: How's the page layout engine tho?

That Word macros don't run is pretty logical, it's LibreOffice.

That the page formatting is not good is because Microsoft is not respecting the Open Office format (even when it says it does).

And if you're opening a Word document saved as docx, well, it was saved in Microsoft format, not LibreOffice, so it's obvious that it's not going to play well with the competition. Microsoft does not play with the competition, it kills it when it can.

Now I know that people cannot choose what format they receive documents in, but there's no avoiding such issues when you have different programs to open the same documents.

On my professional laptop, I have Office 2013 and LibreOffice. I use LO by preference, but when I receive Office documents I open them in Office.

On my personal PC, it's obviously LO all the way.

2. ExampleOne

The only praise I've heard of LibreOffice so far is that it's darn powerful when used to edit PDF files in Draw.

This sort of makes sense: either your users don’t notice it is LO and not MSO, in which case they don’t praise it, or they do in which case they grumble because feature $X is missing or wrong or whatever.

There aren’t many features LO has where they do it far better than MSO.

1. Falmor

Although LO Calc does keep the current cell highlighted when you move focus to another Window. That Excel doesn't I find very annoying.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I uninstalled Microsoft Office 2016 ...

... when an Microsoft Office update installed an always-on Windows Service which then, if disabled, prevented Microsoft Office applications from starting up.

I for one will not tolerate M$ spyware, especilly if it is hoisted upon you after an initial standalone, non-backdoored purchase.

1. Timmy B

Re: I uninstalled Microsoft Office 2016 ...

" installed an always-on Windows Service which then, if disabled, prevented Microsoft Office applications from starting up"

What's that then? And how do you know it's spyware?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I think he means "Microsoft Office Click To Run". A horrid little program that does nothing useful and occasionally eats up all the CPU and brings the PC to a crawl until you kill it.

1. Timmy B

But that's not required and Office will open fine without it.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: And how do you know it's spyware?

Because, Microsoft ?

15. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    Unhappy

Still no email

I use LibreOffice, Microsoft Office and WordPerfect at work, if you are writing a new document and care about the formatting then WordPerfect still beats them all. But at work everyone uses Microsoft Office because we need an email client on each desk so a lot of time I have to try and figure out why the Microsoft Office document formatting is weird and fix it for them.

16. David Gosnell

6.4?

Curiously, my 6.2 installation isn't even picking up on there being a 6.3 release...

6.4 in fairness is an early-adopter release and as such not generally pushed at users, but surprised not to be offered 6.3 automatically.

1. Tom 7

Re: 6.4?

If you can be arsed check the meanings of the version numbering - it might be that 6.3 is experimental and evennumbersafterthedecimalpoint are proper releases.

2. Timmy B

Re: 6.4?

It's because 6.3.....

6.3 is the same as 6x3

or

6 6 6 ....

Or so Numerology for Dummies tells me....

17. F0_0F_C7_C8
    Pint

Without them m$ dominance would be assured

Give them a break, it's the last thing between a costly subscription based O365 and relying on Gmail to misinterpret and badly support document editing.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

government/company participation

Imagine if every country were to sponsor one or a few top notch programmers to Libreoffice and Thunderbird, similar to what companies are contributing to Linux kernel. In no time, libreoffice will surpass msoffice. No need to pay millions for proprietary format and vendor lock-in.

19. hollymcr

Launcher love

I may be alone but I find the launcher useful.

On an OS which pins applications to a quick launch bar of some kind (Ubuntu and Windows are my own two use cases), pinning the launcher gives me quick access to LO without needing space for several LO icons for individual functions.

Sure, if you're launching from a Start menu or command line then the launcher is pointless (you're already using a launcher to launch it) but that doesn't mean it has no application, and I can't believe it adds much bloat to the application overall.

What I would *really* like to see, though, is a unified document format. Think Calc multiple sheets, but where some of the sheets aren't spreadsheets but (eg) Writer docs with full access to the data in the other sheets. Eg a sheet of calculations for a quote, and a document sheet that pulls it all together into a fully fledged proposal document ready for PDFing.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like