back to article VMware? VM... now where? It's that time of the year again when Dell's virtualization software giant sheds staff

VMware today laid off staff across the globe in various roles and departments. The virtualization software giant would not put an exact number on those affected in what seems like an annual round of layoffs: it tends to trim its workforce around this time of the year. Some folks have suggested at least 220 workers were axed, …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

It puts the V in VM

The Chief Executive Bot said: "it's not an issue, we're just planning on virtual people to run our virtual machines and virtually write our virtual software."

1. IT's getting kinda boring

Re: It puts the V in VM

Standard PHB operating procedure. Have to preserve their bonus somehow. How else can they afford that 3rd Ferrari? You didn't think they'd make do with a virtual one did you?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Vmware Not The Only One...

Dell EMC has been doing rolling WFRs (Work Force Reduction) for some time; something about needing to cut a significant part of their budget heading into the fiscal year that starts on Feb. 1.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Vmware Not The Only One...

VMware at least values the investment in their employees to give them the opportunity to find another internal role while still part of VMware for a limited time, a practiced by EMC. In becoming DELL EMC sadly you would be kicked out first and then "welcome" to apply for internal roles. So much for the promised dignity.

3. Calum Morrison

Brutal

Went to a vSphere VMUG in Glasgow last Thursday where the presenter promised us the slides would be emailed to us within a couple of days; with no sign of them, I checked his twitter today to find he's one of the victims. Crazy; it was a useful day and he led it well. Thoughts and prayers and all that.

1. rdhood

Re: it was a useful day and he led it well.

That's when you know that the business is going down the tubes. When good people actually doing real work get laid off

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nothing New To See Here

I was one of the ones that fell victim to this last year. I'd had excellent reviews and had been granted a significant amount of stock options in the previous round of salary increases. Got the call with my boss and HR to tell me I was put on notice, then at the end of that week headed off on Garden Leave. There were no other jobs that were suitable so I took the package and left.

It has nothing to do with performance or ability, often its just a "wrong place, wrong time" situation.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nothing New To See Here

I've also been part of more than one "Workforce Reduction" where I was getting good reviews and stock options. Still, knowing it's down to elimination of a role/position/department doesn't lessen the personal impact all that much, when you see other folk from your group still warming their chairs. Last time I was handed the sack on the same day as my manager, which was some sort of minor consolation. Life goes on.

Right now I'd probably bite my employer's hand off to take any sort of severance package, since I've been strongly considering retirement after 40 years, so not too many worries about the door hitting my arse on the way out.

5. fredesmite
    Mushroom

Right ......

" The Silicon Valley giant noted that some of the chopped staffers could find other roles within the organization, so the final number may go up or down."

I've heard that lie before .....

" WFR personnel can apply to any positions within the company as long as they are not on a WFR list"

DELL

IBM

HP

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Right ......

Let’s be fair here. Dell has no such rule, to which I can attest from being caught in Dell’s latest WFR.

That said, I’ve seen peers in WFR get two to three weeks to find an internal job. Problem is that the Dell internal hire process can take a month or two.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm calling BS

This seems like a pretty deep cut driven by budget, not just... ehem... annual rotations. This looks different and deeper by the quality and level of people RIF'd.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thou hath been hired to be fired..

-Old Silicon Valley Proverb

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like