back to article Opera hits back at 'short seller' whose report claimed its 'predatory' microloan droid apps could hurt, er... investors

Opera has responded to accusations that it offers predatory short-term loans to some of the world's most disadvantaged communities to shore up its financial results. The report by Hindenburg Research, which describes itself as "speciali[zing] in forensic financial research" and is described by Wall St analysts as "an activist …

1. Chris G

Six of one and a half dozen of the other

So we now have Short Sellers looking for or concocting stories to drive prices down or companies whose performance is down blaming Short Sellers for their woes.

It seems in politics and business now that the truth is determined by whoever shouts the loudest first.

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Re: Six of one and a half dozen of the other

It seems in politics and business now that the truth is determined by whoever shouts the loudest first.

Hasn't it always been so? At least these days we have more access to data to help counteract it.

2. Sgt_Oddball
      Windows

Re: Six of one and a half dozen of the other

Obligatory quote

A lie is halfway around the world before the truth has got its boots on

- pTerry

1. MJB7
        Holmes

Re: A lie is halfway around the world before the truth has got its boots on

pTerry did actually write those words, but I'm sure he wouldn't have claimed to have invented them. See

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2014/07/13/truth/. It cites “for falsehood will fly from Maine to Georgia, while truth is pulling her boots on.” from a court case in 1820, and Swift writing "Falsehood flies, and the Truth comes limping after it" in 1710.

2. Bronek Kozicki
    Unhappy

Tut, tut

Opera, I am disappointed in you

1. Rich 11

Re: Tut, tut

From award-winning original ideas to usury in 20 years.

2. jgarbo

Do you hang the prisoner before or after the trial in your kingdom?

1. Rich 11

During. It has a salutary effect on the witnesses.

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

What is this ?

Creating an app that harvests user contacts to badger their friends and family for getting a loan repaid ?

And that was created by a browser maker ?

Is that really true ?

Because if it is, Opera is getting nuked from my PC.

I will be following this affair closely.

1. ScissorHands
      Flame

Re: What is this ?

Opera is dead. It has been dead for years, and became an eldritch abomination after the Chinese buyout.

(This message was posted from Opera 12.17)

1. Korev Silver badge

I'm typing this in Vivaldi, it's from the original Opera founders and it's pretty good.

1. Gonzo wizard
          Trollface

Lynx FTW. Cookies? What are they?

1. jgarbo
            Facepalm

Lynx. Images, video, what are they?

1. Moldskred

Useless distractions, for the most part.

2. Captain Scarlet
          Mushroom

Pfft no presto engine

2. jgarbo
      Facepalm

Reminds me of a Harry Enfield skit...

"If you're sleeping with my wife I'll kill you!"

"You're not married. You're 13 yrs old."

"Well, when I do grow up and get married and if you're sleeping with my wife...where you goin'?"

When I went to school it was called jumping to conclusions, what the idiots in the class did...while we played chess.

Disclaimer: Running Opera 66 (Linux), Fast, VPN, AdBlock, Super Screenshot app, great Select Text app, sensible layout and menus.

1. Tigra 07
        Coat

"Disclaimer: Running Opera 66 (Linux), Fast, VPN, AdBlock, Super Screenshot app, great Select Text app, sensible layout and menus."

The VPN makes sense now, as they can track your location and internet traffic if you flee the country to avoid paying back your predatory loan from them.

4. Moldskred

Do they believe that people will believe they believe that?

"The Company believes that the report contains numerous errors, unsubstantiated statements, and misleading conclusions and interpretations regarding the business of and events relating to the Company."

So I take it they haven't actually _found_ any? Seriously, as rebuttals go that one is as soft and non-committal as they come. They might as well have said "yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, their opinion, man."

5. TimMaher Silver badge
    Coat

Hindenburg?

Well, we don’t need an Oracle to tell us what happened there.

And “no”, I’m not talking about Paul Ludwig Hans Anton von Beneckendorff und von Hindenburg, General of Infantry.

I’ll get my greatcoat.

6. Tigra 07
    Pirate

Wongopera?

Seems like Opera is trying to operate like Wonga was. "You borrowed a pound, and now your current debt is eight thousand, three hundred and twenty seven pounds...And twenty six pence."

7. Bronek Kozicki

I found this article more detailed and useful.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like