back to article It's update time – yes, again – for Insiders as the Windows 10 Slow Ring meanders towards release

It was out with the old and in with the new for Microsoft last week - as it hammered another nail into Windows 7's coffin, the Redmond gnomes were busy toiling on things they hope won't die anytime soon. Windows 10 Slow Ring users get their very own patch Tuesday Continuing its rich tradition of not using its own names for …

1. Kev99 Silver badge

You'd think that after 30+ years of coding Windows Microsoft would be able to release software that isn't full of bugs, backdoors, incompatibility, leaks and other lovely features. It as though their coders get paid by the line of code written and quality be hanged.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Now, you are being unfair to maths. No system is perfect. But interestingly, somehow, Microsoft seem to have even broken the record for the halting problem !

2. ivan5

You and I would think so but it wouldn't fit with the MS system of adding more tracking and data sniffing.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Almost as if OS development is difficult heh, who'd thunk it?

4. mittfh

Back in the days of NT4, it was often quipped that at least half the point of each Service Pack was fixing the bugs introduced by the previous Service Pack...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Windows 10 Support is ending?

Just had a user complain when they saw the update message with their Windows 10 system stating that support was ending for the current version of Windows - they were like, "Am I running Windows 7?"

1. MatthewSt

Re: Windows 10 Support is ending?

If you're more than 3 'versions' behind then you could well be out of support

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

3. Notas Badoff

Just playing around

Anyone else struck with how minor some of these Win10 features/improvements are? What're the user stories here? Oooo, flexible tabs - that's worth 100Ks of seats! It's like they're playing with us. Or themselves.

1. Christopher Reeve's Horse

Re: Just playing around

Yep, progress seems slow. You'd think they'd have had a chance to, I dunno, make all the control panel option pages consistent beyond 2 levels, or fix search so that it can find an application that's already installed. Or maybe even - and I don't know why this bugs me in particular - when you click 'empty the recycle bin', it would be nice if everything in the recycle bin actually disappeared.

2. mittfh

Re: Just playing around

Then adjusting the number of rows the mouse wheel scrolls by - that's been a standard feature of proprietary drivers for decades!

Of course, until they were persuaded to bump up the internal version number to match the public version number, early builds of Win 10 were 6.4 under the hood, so an evolution of Vista (6.0), Seven (6.1), Eight (6.3) and Eight Point One (6.3)...

4. jelabarre59

Open Terminal

Looking at the capabilities of the WinTerminal Preview, I'm wondering how long it will take until it's more open and capable than Gnome-Terminal (considering how much the Gnome folks are insistent on kneecapoping any and all Gnome utilities)? At which point it could be useful to port it for Linux <g>

But "affordable" Surface-type combo pc/tablets. I wonder if you could load Linux on them.... (or, if you wanted that "classic" MSWin feel, ReactOS?)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like