back to article Guilty as charged: Apple confesses some Smart Battery Cases are having 'issues', offers replacements

Apple has announced yet another replacement programme — this time for several models of its pricey Smart Battery cases. According to a post on Apple's website, some cases will fail to charge when connected to the mains — or will charge intermittently. The flaw also prevents the battery case from discharging juice to the phone …

1. Chris G

Charge

Perhaps Apple thinks their customers have already been charged enough so they are reluctant to apply more charges?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's almost like...

... Apple slings ordinary Chinese kit like everyone else.

1. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

Re: It's almost like...

Hardware-wise, yes; it's a commodity with all the pluses and minuses that entails. The differences between premium and (ahem) other vendors become more apparent at a software level; security, privacy, usability, compatibility and dependability. That's why people pay the difference.

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Okay, I get that Apple doesn't like 3rd-party batteries

Now tell me why I should care since Apple can't be arsed to make proper batteries for its own kit ?

4. Jan 0 Silver badge

Hey Apple, there's another way!

How hard would it be for Apple to put a bigger battery in some of their 'phones?

I have a Moto G7 Power and it shames my iPhone 6s Plus every day. My iPhone (with it's new battery) needs charging everyday, the Moto every other day. That's just to be on the safe side, 'as it looks like the Moto could run for 3 days. I use the Moto as a WiFi hotspot and for mapping. It's the iPhone's interface and and software integration that stops me looking for a premium Android 'phone

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: Hey Apple, there's another way!

I guess Apple values the 2.5mm of depth and 45 grams of weight less than the Moto over the battery life.

1. Jan 0 Silver badge

@werdsmith

How much does a "smart battery case" add? I don't think my trouser pockets care anyway.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

How much does a "smart battery case" add?

I don't know and I don't think it's relevant if size is prioritised over battery life.

2. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

"How much does a "smart battery case" add?"

Pretty much doubles the thickness. Plus it's a horrible, badly designed*, cheap silicone case. If Apple made a well designed leather version I'd be in like a shot.

*Actually make that NOT designed. There appears to be no thought or care taken in the design process, just a case of 'Glue a standard battery to the back of one of our cheaper cases, wrap the whole lot in nasty silicone, job done."

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: People still think...

Apple "designs" stuff.

3. Wincerind

"smart battery case"

Seems the only thing "smart" about them is the outward appearance.

2. Mongrel

"I guess Apple values the 2.5mm of depth and 45 grams of weight less than the Moto over the battery life."

Anecdotally - Linus (from Linus Tech Tips) was talking to a Corning rep when Gorilla Glass 6 was released who reckoned that if they'd kept everything else equal teh screens would be nigh indestructible. Unfortunately every time they improved the strength of the stuff Apple would shave it thinner, compromising it's strength, to fit with the Apple aesthetic.

2. m0rt

The battery on that phone is brilliant. I bought one. Only thing is, I ended up sending it back because of the silly Wifi/Bluetooth issue which was causing crazy network lag.

But even the replacement Nokia gets 2 days.

My Keyone, that it replaced, got 2 days.

5. MrDamage Silver badge

Kickdropped?

Some dropkick got all mucked and fuddled with their words.

1. Aussie Doc
      Headmaster

Re: Kickdropped?

Yeah, folks always getting their mords wixed.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

"Danger or no danger, however, it's not a good look for the maker of reassuringly expensive kit."

I don't think customers care any more. We're so used to being used as beta testers; every piece of software, every piece of interconnected tat, every TV, even cars; they're all either getting 'critical' upgrades, 'mandatory' patches or recalls.

My 4-month old car was recalled recently to have the engine replaced due to a badly manufactured counterbalance shaft; which could "cause the engine to seize, potentially locking the transmission and drivetrain whilst moving". So nothing major then.

8. Hans 1
    Joke

I have not seen a Genius in an Apple Store for the best part of decade.

1. simonlb Silver badge
      Trollface

Just loads of sheep milling around...

2. Flywheel

Talking of Geniuses.. I wanted to buy an additional top my for gen-1 Apple pencil, so I had to make an appointment at the "Genius" Bar where they noted the new top serial number and "installed" my new pen top for me. Beyond belief.

1. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

” they noted the new top serial number and "installed" my new pen top for me. Beyond belief.“

And your problem with this is...?

9. Cuddles

Goldilocks

Samsung makes batteries that discharge much too quickly. Apple makes batteries that don't discharge at all. If only they worked together, we could end up with batteries that work at the correct rate.

10. DenTheMan

believed to have been manufactured between January and October, 2019.

So, a miscalculation of 8 or so months before the sweet smell of replacement case sales materialised.

Apple batteries are simply continuing their tradition.

11. BGatez

f*** a bunch of apple

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like